Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Strikeforce Challengers 'Villasenor Vs Cyborg' - RESULTS

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
STRIKEFORCE CHALLENGERS RESULTS:

Main Bouts (on Showtime):

-Joe Villasenor vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos
-Tim Kennedy def. Nick Thompson by submission (strikes) at 2:37, R2
--Jorge Gurgel def. Conor Heun by Unanimous Decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27), R3
--Sarah Kaufman def. Shayna Baszler by Unanimous Decision 29-28, 30-27, 30-27), R3
-- Luke Rockhold def. Corey Devela by submission (rear naked choke) at :30, R1

Preliminary Bouts:

-Dennis Hallman def. Justin Davis by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 0:20, R1
-Brian Caraway def. Alex Zuniga by Unanimous Decision, R3
-Lyle Beerbohm def. Duane Ludwig by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 4:27, R1
-Landon Showalter def. George Stork by Unanimous Decision, R3
-Len Bentley def. Marques Daniels by Unanimous Decision, R3
-Steve Hadsel def. Taylor Roberts by TKO (Strikes) at 0:17, R1

LINK

Last edited 6/20/09 2:29PM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/20/09 1:35:30AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The fights weren't bad but the production and refs sucked. I was shocked how good Kennedy looked but was very disappointed the way the fight ended as the strikes were clearly to the back of the head. That wasn't the only thing i seen that the Refs missed either. Then the hole more action coming form the Refs every 30 sec was getting old. You don't tell a guy in side mount more action when he just got side mount 10 sec ago.

I'm glad Strikeforce is still around but they have a lot of things they really need to work on in production. The hole cut Kennedy off when he is talking about a non profit origination for wounded soldiers. Talk about a dirt bag move, I mean I can kind of see if they were hurting for time but they weren't at all.

Post #2   6/20/09 5:56:23AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
refs sucked

fights were boring besides jorge vs conor

and showtime video froze up for more than 5 minutes so the first fight wasn't even shown

i am glad it was a challenger series,
but mad props for jorge throwing leather for 3 rounds

Post #3   6/20/09 10:45:43AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by telnights

The fights weren't bad but the production and refs sucked. I was shocked how good Kennedy looked but was very disappointed the way the fight ended as the strikes were clearly to the back of the head. That wasn't the only thing i seen that the Refs missed either. Then the hole more action coming form the Refs every 30 sec was getting old. You don't tell a guy in side mount more action when he just got side mount 10 sec ago.

I'm glad Strikeforce is still around but they have a lot of things they really need to work on in production. The hole cut Kennedy off when he is talking about a non profit origination for wounded soldiers. Talk about a dirt bag move, I mean I can kind of see if they were hurting for time but they weren't at all.

LOL, I literally agree with everything you said and even posted all these things in the spoilers forum while watching the event.

Gurgel was driving me nuts, as usual. I cannot believe some of the fundamental mistakes he still makes given how long he's been involved with martial arts. The guy must have the most stubborn personality ever. His fight was fricken awesome, though.

Cyborg looked really good to start. Once again, though, he faded badly. Somebody needs to buy him a treadmill for father's day. The guy could be a force at 185 if only he bumped up his cardio a little bit.

Post #4   6/20/09 10:47:25AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,155-1,264
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I swee what your saying about Gurgel throwing leather but I hope we see more of his Jui Jitsu as when he throws hes always interesting but that is one of the reasons he is not in the UFC any longer. Hopefully we bget to see his insane JJ soon.

Post #5   6/20/09 11:51:57AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
The officiating really bothered me a lot. People clam a promotion cant influence ref's and I think this as a good example that they can.

The fighters all had a good ground game and stayed busy, I was disappointed that a ref would influence a fight as much as what we saw.

Not catching the strikes to the back of he head was unintentional so that bothers me less than the other mistakes made. The ref's need up training after every event just as much as the judges, sigh.

I'm sorry but the commentating still has to much of a Pro Wrestling feel to it and wile I feel its getting better sometimes I found myself wishing they would just STFU.
Pat Miletich did a ok job but he is just not a great commentator and the other guy is no Goldberg I cant believe Im saying this but Goldberg is a better commentator that either of them.

I think its proof that presentation is much more important than we give it credit for and they really need to hire someone like TJ De Santis to commentate or get Mir in there, Jens Pulver just someone that can complement Pat and bring out a little personality in pat without going overboard.

Posted by Jackelope
Gurgel was driving me nuts, as usual. I cannot believe some of the fundamental mistakes he still makes given how long he's been involved with martial arts. The guy must have the most stubborn personality ever. His fight was fricken awesome, though.

Its the main reason he lost so many fights in the UFC. He wants to strike period and thats why he will never amount to anything but a solid B class stepping stone.The guy has a lot of talent and then goes out and uses it in the most inefficient way possible.

Last edited 6/20/09 12:27PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #6   6/20/09 12:19:02PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
The refs made me want to shoot myself. One of them is a former fighter as well. Makes me sick.

Post #7   6/20/09 1:00:58PM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,384-1,742
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I truly wish Nick Thompson hit the ref in that fight, every shot was clearly the back the head, I agree with what Nick did, if the refferee is to incompitent to realize it then tap. Every ref other then Herb Dean, Yves, Mark Matheny(sp?), Steve Mazagatti, and Troy Waugh(I love the name that's why) should be fired at least in my opinion. Though it's the states choice for refs, they should find better ones, sorry to bitch

Post #8   6/20/09 1:56:29PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
The Gurgel vs Huen fight was the only thing good about to entire event......The comentary is absolutely horrific with Maro Renalo ( probably spelled that wrong) and Kevin Bacon's crack head brother........Both of those guys are so bad it's not even funny anymore.......Having those two makes me not even want to watch......

Post #9   6/21/09 1:25:02AM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:
Gurgel-Heun definitely stole the show... I would rather Gurgel throw some leather then watching someone like Joe Stevenson stall on the ground for three rounds straight.

Villasenor beat a game Cyborg. Strikeforce should have him and Scott Smith fight next.

Post #10   6/21/09 4:39:45AM