Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The case for legalization: quantifying economic windfalls

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
While I may have argued for a a fundamental shift in MMA’s approach to seeking legalization, I’m not naive enough to believe that the economics of the sport do not have a role in the legalization process.

The fact of the matter is it’s simply not enough to preach the virtues of MMA as a sport and expound its comparable safety record to all the public naysayers and fence-sitters. It’s now time to broach the topic of economic windfalls - MMA’s veritable ace in the hole.

STORY

Post #1   6/19/09 11:35:13AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I read that in new york, mma is not being welcomed...and much of it has to do with the fact that the profits support vegas, not NY. I would like to see it legal, but I think mma is on or near the edge (of morality) for many non mma fans. do u think mma will need to be accepted widespread to become legal in all states, or is it strictly profit?

Post #2   6/19/09 12:02:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I read that in new york, mma is not being welcomed...and much of it has to do with the fact that the profits support vegas, not NY.

That's not why it's not welcomed (although the bill is getting closer to passing now). When lobbying states to legalize the sport, the UFC tries to show the politicians how much money they can bring to the state by holding an event there...the counter argument was that most of that money benefits Nevada. So, it's not a negative, they're just saying it's not quite as positive as the presentation would suggest.

Post #3   6/19/09 12:55:04PM