Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

New Shogun interview

Print  
Posted By Message

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
LINK

After solidifying his place in the UFC with two knockout wins, over Chuck Liddell and Mark Coleman, Mauricio Shogun is confirmed to face Lyoto Machida. The bout is worth the organization's light heavyweight belt, which could land Shogun back at the top of the world, a post he was used to occupying back in the days of Pride.

Portal das Lutas - How did you feel about getting a shot at the title so quickly?
Mauricio Shogun - I was really happy about the title challenge. When Dana White told me I was really happy. Lyoto's my friend, we train together. We've been in contact but there's no way to turn down the fight.

PDL - Is there anyone you would never face?
MS - The only guy I've said I would never face is Wanderlei (Silva). He is my true friend and I have a special affection for him.

PDL - After facing three tough guys (Forrest Griffin, Mark Coleman and Chuck Liddell), now you have this shot at the title. Would you rather do a few more fights and better adapt to the event?
MS - The one who decides whether the fight is for the belt is Dana White. When I joined the UFC, there already was the perspective of a shot at the belt soon, for what I had shown in Pride. Against Coleman I didn't fight that great, but against Liddell I did well. That's what Dana White had to work with. I'm new in the house, but I have experience and I'm happy for the opportunity.

PDL - For the second time in the organization there's an all-Brazilian title challenge, the other being between Anderson Silva and Thales Leites. How important is that?
MS - It shows how strong Brazil is in MMA. I believe that, after soccer, MMA is the sport that best represents Brazil abroad. And we are very well represented, because we really sport the jersey. I'm certain the athletes fight for the country. Brazil is still needy of heroes in sport and it's great motivation. We're out there to represent Brazil.

PDL - What do you think of Lyoto?
MS - Lyoto is a well-rounded fighter, good standing,on the ground and has good wrestling. He's the man to beat, undefeated and has shown his worth. I repect him, but I'm going to train a lot to come home with the win.

PDL - Would you like to send a message out to your fans?
MS - I can't promise victory, but I guarantee I'll do my all to represent our country, my team and my state. I would like to thank all my fans and tell them they are my greatest motivation in training every day.

WAR SHOGUN

Post #1   6/17/09 11:40:36PM   

chuckw94

Standup Guy

chuckw94 Avatar

Career:1,454-875
Chips:
WAR SHOGUN!!!!!

Post #2   6/18/09 12:08:25AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
WAR SHOGUN!!!!
and...
LYOTO TOO!!!!

Post #3   6/18/09 12:30:21AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I can't remember seeing a title fight in which I liked both fighters as much as these two.

I think my head will say Lyoto, but my heart will say Shogun. It's going to be fricken awesome.

Post #4   6/18/09 12:38:40AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I can't remember seeing a title fight in which I liked both fighters as much as these two.

I think my head will say Lyoto, but my heart will say Shogun. It's going to be fricken awesome.

Agreed, these are two of my favorite fighters in all of mma, i think the only reason my gut wants Shogun to win is because hes the underdog.

I almost feel like a hypocrite, up until ufc 98 ive been raving about machida and breaking down why he should(and did) beat everybody hes fought convincingly. But now ive been spending the same amount of energy defending why Shogun has a solid chance in this match-up.

Either way my heart will break, and i will yell in excitement when the fights over. One of my Favorites will lose, and one of them will be champion. I dont even know how to feel.

Post #5   6/18/09 12:46:27AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

Agreed, these are two of my favorite fighters in all of mma, i think the only reason my gut wants Shogun to win is because hes the underdog.

I almost feel like a hypocrite, up until ufc 98 ive been raving about machida and breaking down why he should(and did) beat everybody hes fought convincingly. But now ive been spending the same amount of energy defending why Shogun has a solid chance in this match-up.

Either way my heart will break, and i will yell in excitement when the fights over. One of my Favorites will lose, and one of them will be champion. I dont even know how to feel.

Logic has to say that Machida will take it, but we all know there is no ceiling for the Shogun of old, so that's something that has to be accounted for. I think I'm with you on the underdog gut feeling thing.

I've been praising Machida since I saw him completely dismantle Sokoudjou, and I honestly don't think anyone at LHW has the toolbox to outwork him. They may win with a huge punch or kick out of nowhere, but, tactically, I don't see anyone out working him.

Post #6   6/18/09 12:55:01AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
The only thing that im unsure about with Machida is his ability to take leg kicks.

He spent most of his life and most of his training avoiding strikes and countering because he can utilize a greater range and greater skill-set of strikes against everybody hes faced so far.

When you havent conditioned your shins to take a muay thai kick because youre so used to avoiding the strike what happens when someone actually kicks him in the leg? Repeatedly? It may severely hinder his mobility, and his explosiveness.

Shogun doesnt leave the type of openings defensively that Rashad does, im interested if Machida is still going to avoid Shogun's arsenal when his skill set is so adept at making fights trench wars.

Post #7   6/18/09 1:03:46AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
I hear you, and if you can get to Machida's legs that is probably the best way to slow him down and create openings for yourself. So I concede that point, but I'm just not seeing it. Not that Rashad has leg kicks on any level near Shogun's, but I remember him trying some only to end up whiffing several times.

I think you're going to have to be able to stalk with impeccable footwork in order to get Machida up against the fence. Then, and only then, can you open up with leg kicks on him. He'll only have two ways out once his back is to the cage, and one of those will be taken away by a leg kick. It'll probably have to be a rinse and repeat scenario since Machida has really good push-offs and lateral movement. You can't expect to keep him trapped in a corner for too long, but maybe if you do it enough times and kick him hard enough when he is there you can slow him down.

Shogun probably has the best tools to provide a challenge. Machida is just so difficult. Straight punches with fantastic side-to-side movement and kicks to boot. Not to mention the sumo, jiu jitsu, and wrestling skills he's also displayed. It is just incredible. Probably the most amazing thing about him is his cerebral adaptation within a fight. Like I've always said- dude is a ghost. He's fricken Einstein's ghost as smart as he is.

The only real weakness I see in his game is how he holds his chin. Dude needs to tuck it a lot better IMO, but then again, it's why he's so elusive. One day his undefeated record will all come crashing down, and I'm banking on it being an overhand power shot straight on that chin.

Edit: I just realized, with Machida he has three ways out of the corner- left, right, or straight through you.

Last edited 6/18/09 1:26AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   6/18/09 1:25:12AM   

gamez0932

MMA Regular

gamez0932 Avatar

Career:408-303
Chips:
Wow, this is going to be one amazing fight. I think Lyoto right now is damn near impossible to beat, but if there is anyone that can do it it's Shogun. If this fight were to happen after the Coleman fight I would've said Shoguns gonna get hurt. But seeing his last performance against Chuck, it seems like the old Shogun is back. If he comes out 100% physically and mentally, we may see the title switch hands one more time. There is still that little tiny problem of Lyoto Machida. He is on another planet with his striking so coming up with a game plan to beat him will be difficult.

Post #9   6/18/09 3:23:17AM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
I love both Shogun and Lyoto. They have alot of mutual respect for each other and their skills. Shogun understands that this will be an very hard match for him. The guy is telling it as it is.

I may be wrong here but this could turn out to be fight of the year! Aswell as a new classic rivalry

Post #10   6/18/09 6:24:11AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Lyoto uses a lot of lateral movement when someone comes at him. I've know the kryptonite. Shogun could pull it off....WAR Spinning Back-fist!!!

Post #11   6/18/09 8:51:43AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i like both of them alot
i'll be there, i'll be wearing my shogun t-shirt

Post #12   6/18/09 9:58:12AM