Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

NAGA... Does anyone compete in this?

Print  
Posted By Message

Jiu-Jitsu101

MMA Regular

Career:128-107
Chips:
NAGA is the National Association of Grappling or something along those lines but I was wondering if anyone does brazilian jiu jitsu here? and goes to any of the tournements for example their biggest tournement the arnold classics if so let me know and maybe we could talk about some of the tournements weve been in.

Thanks

Post #1   6/16/09 11:46:43PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I haven't but I'm supposed to next time they host one in Indiana. I hear they're expensive as ****.

Post #2   6/16/09 11:52:26PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
i have done grapplers quest imo is better

but i haven't done Grapplers quest since last year November.

wiped the mat in my divison until i versed a Cobra Kai JJ guy and just butt scoped and apparently the ref kept giving him point for butt scooping an pulling guard when that's suppose to be no points lost 7-5 -_-

Post #3   6/17/09 10:08:22AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

i have done grapplers quest imo is better

but i haven't done Grapplers quest since last year November.

wiped the mat in my divison until i versed a Cobra Kai JJ guy and just butt scoped and apparently the ref kept giving him point for butt scooping an pulling guard when that's suppose to be no points lost 7-5 -_-

That's bull ****! what was he getting in points? couldn't be takedown. Were you giving him points on evasion?

Post #4   6/17/09 2:49:45PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I was supposed to do the Arnolds this year but a shoulder injury kept me out. My instructor took 2nd in his division and we had another kid take 4th. Might do it next year but they didn't really have that great of a time.

Post #5   6/17/09 5:14:05PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Mattmodist from my Fight camp has competed in that. You should shoot him a message and maybe youll pick up something new

Post #6   6/17/09 5:19:00PM   

Jiu-Jitsu101

MMA Regular

Chips:
Thats kinda dumb pulling guard is normally no points or an advantage to standing oponent. But the past 3 arnold tournements i have gotten first in all of my divisions almsot except last eyar got a bronze in gi and gold in no-gi. Its fun thought

Post #7   6/17/09 5:24:02PM   

Joemoplata

MMA Regular

Joemoplata Avatar

Career:42-25
Chips:
I have both competed and coached my students at many NAGA tournaments over the years. Here are the pros and cons of NAGA IMO:

Pros
- Large number of high level competitors
- Quality prizes and attention for placement
- Ranking for competing

Cons
- Heel hooks allowed in no-gi beginners division
- Poorly managed time schedule
- Kip Kollar yelling at everyone
- Poor medical attention when necessary

I personally will always pick US Grappling first amongst the larger grappling tournament events. I know the crew that runs that circuit personally and can vouch not only for them as individuals but they also just happen to run the best damn tournaments out there.

Post #8   6/18/09 2:37:10PM   

Jiu-Jitsu101

MMA Regular

Chips:
Yea i agree. Kip is always yelling at that tournement. And dang i didnt know they could do heel hooks in beginner thats crazy. I can just now do them now that im in expert

Post #9   7/3/09 5:38:19PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Just in the no-gi, which is a little strange because even in the Purple Belt division you can't do heel hooks--just straight ankle locks and toe holds.

Post #10   7/6/09 3:20:46AM   

Joemoplata

MMA Regular

Joemoplata Avatar

Career:42-25
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Just in the no-gi, which is a little strange because even in the Purple Belt division you can't do heel hooks--just straight ankle locks and toe holds.

I don't know of any tournament out there that support heel hooks in the Gi divisions. That is usually the only submission completely frowned upon while wearing the gi at any and all levels.

Post #11   7/7/09 2:08:18PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by Joemoplata

Posted by Wolfenstein

I don't know of any tournament out there that support heel hooks in the Gi divisions. That is usually the only submission completely frowned upon while wearing the gi at any and all levels.

True, I'm not sure why I phrased it like that--looking back. It is worth noting though that they're only allowed in the adult division. I'm not really a big fan of it, but I am glad they allow neck cranks.

Post #12   7/8/09 2:20:17PM