Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The good, the bad and the (very) ugly: Quick thoughts on a busy month in MMA … and we’re not done yet

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Last Sunday, I had the pleasure of watching WEC 41: “Brown vs. Faber 2,” another outstanding WEC card from the Zuffa sister promotion. Top to bottom this organization produces great shows. I like the announcing, the crowd was electric and the fighters really put on some fascinating bouts.

We can go on and on about the main event and how tough Faber is, but I was also impressed with Donald Cerrone and Jose Aldo, who I believe should be the next one to face WEC featherweight kingpin Mike Brown.

The champ is on a roll and it is going to take someone who possesses much more than just speed to topple him. His strength is amazing and he just does not make the kind of mistakes that another fighter can capitalize on. He fights an intelligent game on top of everything else.

STORY

Post #1   6/16/09 10:58:57AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Am I the only one who consistently finds the WEC cards more entertaining than the UFC's?

Post #2   6/16/09 12:48:23PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
lol

The article is crazy.

The guy think Cerrone was beating Varner. Varner beat him every round. Varner has the better boxing and wrestling and has the sub game not to get submited. Cerrone has to hope his brain dont shut down from the beating he takes. Thats not a skill to brag about.

He says Cro Cop didnt screw the UFC. Well, he did. Well i should say Cop was in the wrong. Noone really comes out of it bad as far as on the losing end. Cop moves on to Cans he can beat in Japan and the UFC dont have to protect him to get him a win while paying 6 figures. But the fact remains Cop himself told everyone he was going to sign a deal with the UFC in many interviews. So i dont think its a stretch to assume Dana was told the same thing and expected as much. This guy picks and chooses what he wants to believe reguardless of the facts.

His assessment of Cain is way off. Yes Cain was given mount and top control and couldnt get the finish. Well who has finished Kongo in the UFC? How does Cains lack of offensive sub game hurt him against Lesnar? Just because Cain isnt going for subs dont mean he cant defend them.Defending is the easiest part. especially at HW. Brock isnt going to submit Cain. All cain has to do is not get hit by Brock slow motion punches and not get taken down. There was nothing in the Kongo fight that suggest Cain would get hit or taken down by Brock.

What Cain did show is he might be subceptible to someone who puts them punches together better and quicker than Kongo who is a 1 punch at a time striker who is big and not very quick. A more versitile striker would be able to land more shots while Cain was hurt where Kongo couldnt capitolize.

Post #3   6/16/09 12:56:31PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

lol

The article is crazy.

The guy think Cerrone was beating Varner. Varner beat him every round. Varner has the better boxing and wrestling and has the sub game not to get submited. Cerrone has to hope his brain dont shut down from the beating he takes. Thats not a skill to brag about.

He says Cro Cop didnt screw the UFC. Well, he did. Well i should say Cop was in the wrong. Noone really comes out of it bad as far as on the losing end. Cop moves on to Cans he can beat in Japan and the UFC dont have to protect him to get him a win while paying 6 figures. But the fact remains Cop himself told everyone he was going to sign a deal with the UFC in many interviews. So i dont think its a stretch to assume Dana was told the same thing and expected as much. This guy picks and chooses what he wants to believe reguardless of the facts.

His assessment of Cain is way off. Yes Cain was given mount and top control and couldnt get the finish. Well who has finished Kongo in the UFC? How does Cains lack of offensive sub game hurt him against Lesnar? Just because Cain isnt going for subs dont mean he cant defend them.Defending is the easiest part. especially at HW. Brock isnt going to submit Cain. All cain has to do is not get hit by Brock slow motion punches and not get taken down. There was nothing in the Kongo fight that suggest Cain would get hit or taken down by Brock.

What Cain did show is he might be subceptible to someone who puts them punches together better and quicker than Kongo who is a 1 punch at a time striker who is big and not very quick. A more versitile striker would be able to land more shots while Cain was hurt where Kongo couldnt capitolize.

If varner beat cerrone every round then why was it scored a split decision? How is having a great chin and not giving up not a skill to bragg about?
Another thing is cain will have problems with lesnar cuz hes not better at anything. Lesnar is probably a better wrestler if not his size will definetely negate all of cains attempts and with lesnars hand size power and reach cain will have alot of problems striking with him. I dont even think cains cardio is better so cain will be in for a long night

Last edited 6/16/09 5:25PM server time by mshalosky
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   6/16/09 5:18:57PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
First of all. Having a good chin isnt a skill. And getting the hell beat out of you because you have no headmovement isnt a good thing. Also his chin is decent but not great. If it was great he wouldnt be picking himself off the floor a couple times per fight vs Varner and Razor Rob. He has been fortunate they werent able to finish him off. His guard helps him in that aspect. Cerrone has good cardio, durable, and has a good guard. But he clearly isnt as skilled as Varner. Varner tends to slow as the fights go on. Mostly because of the pace he fights at and the power he uses. He was beating Franca down in his first UFC fight and gassed and got finished in the 3rd round. This is why Cerrone was able to use his cardio to take a beating early and put up a fight late.

But unless Cerrone catches him ealry with a big punch or Varner gasses out. Expect more of the same as last fight. Cerrone plodding around straight forward. No circling or headmovement getting blasted over and over, taken down over and over for a decision or KO loss.

Lesnar isnt a better wrestler than Cain. I believe Cain was at a more competitive weight class but both were very high level. The biggest difference is Cain is just recently removed from wrestling and Brock hasnt wrestled in almost a decade. It doesnt matter much anyway. If Cain fights like he should his speed on the feet and with his hands should allow him to pick Brock apart while not allowing Lesnar to close the distance to strike or try a TD.

Last edited 6/22/09 8:40AM server time by brain_smasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   6/22/09 8:35:54AM