Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Army Green Beret Tim Kennedy Restarts MMA Career With Strikeforce

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
As a special forces soldier in the U.S. Army, Staff Sgt. Tim Kennedy has survived IED blasts, 30-hour gunfights and missions behind enemy lines so classified that he'll never be able to discuss them. He also survived time away from his wife, two daughters and his professional sports aspirations.

STORY

Post #1   6/16/09 10:55:00AM   

Jiu-Jitsu101

MMA Regular

Career:128-107
Chips:
This guy is inspirational and i put my heart out to him for serving this country I hope he does very well in MMA and I really think he will do good. Thanks for this post this is cool

Post #2   6/17/09 10:21:42PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Chips:
already posted

Post #3   6/17/09 10:47:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
It will be interesting to see how his career develops comparing when he's in versus when he's out.

I only say this because, as a former combat arms soldier myself, there is a huge hole in your heart when you leave the military. I've tried to fill it with MMA, but it hasn't done the trick entirely. It is a very difficult concept to attempt to explain.

I noticed that when Brian Stann got out of the military and started training full time, he started doing worse, actually. He took two losses in a row, and he was previously undefeated. One of the losses was against a guy he already beat, too. I can't speak for Stann, but I would assume it is for the reasons which I have mentioned above. There is some kind of competitive fire that leaves your soul, and it is probably one of the most difficult things in the world to get back. I am not 100% certain, but I swear I noticed it in his eyes. The firelight dimmed. It did in mine, too. You all probably think I'm crazy for saying that, but I promise you that when you've fought on the front lines you develop the ability to see into your fellow soldiers' souls, and there is something there that can't be explained. It is that willingness to die at a moment's notice, but to give your heart and soul in the process. That specific fire seemed to be lacking in Brian's eyes, whereas I could always see it before. Pogues don't get it. Only the real men.

As for Kennedy, I hope this doesn't happen to him. He's got a bright future, but leaving the life you are so attached to for so long is extremely difficult on an emotional level.

Post #4   6/17/09 10:54:17PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

It will be interesting to see how his career develops comparing when he's in versus when he's out.

I only say this because, as a former combat arms soldier myself, there is a huge hole in your heart when you leave the military. I've tried to fill it with MMA, but it hasn't done the trick entirely. It is a very difficult concept to attempt to explain.

I noticed that when Brian Stann got out of the military and started training full time, he started doing worse, actually. He took two losses in a row, and he was previously undefeated. One of the losses was against a guy he already beat, too. I can't speak for Stann, but I would assume it is for the reasons which I have mentioned above. There is some kind of competitive fire that leaves your soul, and it is probably one of the most difficult things in the world to get back. I am not 100% certain, but I swear I noticed it in his eyes. The firelight dimmed. It did in mine, too. You all probably think I'm crazy for saying that, but I promise you that when you've fought on the front lines you develop the ability to see into your fellow soldiers' souls, and there is something there that can't be explained. It is that willingness to die at a moment's notice, but to give your heart and soul in the process. That specific fire seemed to be lacking in Brian's eyes, whereas I could always see it before. Pogues don't get it. Only the real men.

As for Kennedy, I hope this doesn't happen to him. He's got a bright future, but leaving the life you are so attached to for so long is extremely difficult on an emotional level.

have to spread the love.

Post #5   6/17/09 10:58:44PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

already posted

We've been trying to get a merger feature going for a while now, but there is none right now. So I'm going to lock that other post just because this one has responses and the other doesn't. Sorry bro

Post #6   6/17/09 11:01:12PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Kpro

already posted

We've been trying to get a merger feature going for a while now, but there is none right now. So I'm going to lock that other post just because this one has responses and the other doesn't. Sorry bro

I like this one better anyways. It has Jackelope in it!

Post #7   6/17/09 11:02:37PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Kpro

already posted

I like this one better anyways. It has Jackelope in it!

I like it because I keep seeing HMC's face, and... well.. that makes me want to .....

Post #8   6/17/09 11:08:13PM