Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

stand up fighting wrestler

Print  
Posted By Message

shs101

Learning to Sprawl

Career:5-5
Chips:
I fight in the standup. Boxed for 2 years, MT 4 months.Wondering how i would go on fighting (mma) with a wrestler. What should i change in my standup.
Anything i should do diffrently as if i know the guys im fighting is going to shoot.
But still have a good standup game.

thanks

Post #1   6/14/09 9:09:05PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I wouldn't recomment any kind of MMA without a year on the ground.

But you need to a wider stance and never get caught on the heels.

Also, if you sit still for a second you're done, so move.

Also, remember that every time you dig in and or turn your hips to throw a shot you're open, so timing is important.

Honestly, you could probably just keep moving and stick every now and then till an opening. The average MMA fighter probably is as out of water standing as you would be on the ground.

Post #2   6/14/09 9:25:44PM   

shs101

Learning to Sprawl

Career:5-5
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

I wouldn't recomment any kind of MMA without a year on the ground.

Also, if you sit still for a second you're done, so move.

Also, remember that every time you dig in and or turn your hips to throw a shot you're open, so timing is important.

Honestly, you could probably just keep moving and stick every now and then till an opening. The average MMA fighter probably is as out of water standing as you would be on the ground.

I forgot to mention yes i do have 1 year of Jits and a season of wrestling but ive noticed alot of top mma standup fighters seem to either get around and knockout good wreslters or get caught right in the trap and get taken down and finished. So i wondering yeah so ideas of movement and stuff. thanks

Post #3   6/14/09 9:35:55PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:
a lot of wrestlers stick there head out for the TD so they are very easily caught in a guillotine . so you could probably work that : and if the get u down get gaurd and work the triangle bc they always leave one in and one out and when they try to pass they only use one hand so then lock it in =)

i had 4 month BJJ and 2 months wrestling and i do MMA and caught the guy bc he was a straight wrestler.

but seanfu pretty much explained it

Post #4   6/15/09 12:17:28PM   

artofdefense

MMA Regular

Career:129-105
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
Lower your stance a bit and stay light on your lead foot. This will help you avoid the shoot. Really use your footwork and movement to keep circling and moving around them, if you don't hold still he can't grab you.

Use leg kicks if you're any good with them. It will slow his shot down, but if you throw anything higher he is most likely going to try for the takedown.

Post #5   6/17/09 10:26:34AM   

Mattchoo

MMA Regular

Mattchoo Avatar

Career:240-178
Chips:
SPAR. SPAR. SPAR. SPAR.

Most people take their sparring too 'competitively' unless of corse the aim is competitive sparring itself. And they forget to actually work on things, like say one week movement, next week defense and counters, and so on.

Just means you have more to work with when it matters who cares if you get beat in sparring, you wont in your fights.

Spar for it maybe and it'l teach you how to adapt itself.

Post #6   6/18/09 1:23:08PM   

Joemoplata

MMA Regular

Joemoplata Avatar

Career:42-25
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Yep, the MMA stance is a modified stance. A straight boxing stance is typically too thin and a straight Muay Thai stance is typically too wide. Because you need to check the kick you can't load up too much on the front foot but you also can't sit back because you have to ready to sprawl.

Whenever I am confronted with a standup fighter coming to me for MMA preparation we mostly work on:

Sprawls
Clinch work
More sprawls
Submission defense
More sprawls
Using guard to get back to the feet
More sprawls

You cannot exaggerate on how important a good sprawl is in MMA. Even if you never KO your opponent, you need to prevent the takedown in order to win the "Octagon Control" or "Ring Generalship" criteria on a jjudge's scorecard.

Post #7   6/18/09 1:38:54PM