Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sacrificing the Young

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Great points........but PLEASE stop mentioning Lesnar as in the same league as Penn and GSP!!!

Otherwise good read

Post #16   6/14/09 11:16:58PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,406-801
Chips:
So many current and former UFC champs fought the toughest competition early into their careers, which is easy to overlook since that has forced them to get better and they are now at the top. The article really doesn't make a lot of sense if you just look at MMA history. Anyway, I'll start taking Sherdog op-ed pieces more seriously when they criticize some other promotions for a change and finally bury this grudge.

Post #17   6/15/09 12:28:15AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I understand the concept of the article, and I don't entirely disagree. Still, I think the best analogy made in these posts is the baptism of fire one. Taking big fights is a chance to "rise to the occasion". If a fighter's coach feels he is ready for a fight, and they both agree to it, then that's on their heads. If a promoter forces young guys into fights they're not ready for, then that's a different story. To my knowledge that wasn't the case in Swick vs. Saunders, or in many of the other situations.

Post #18   6/15/09 12:38:54AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2