Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Swick is a top 4 contender at 170

Print  
Should teamates be forced to fight in this situation?
Yes 33 49%
No 35 51%
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Well hes not going to get anywhere unless he gets the GSP/Alves loser since he wont fight Kos or Fitch. So good luck to him, dropping down really hurt him IMO not only because he lost the even bigger speed advantage he had, but both his teammates are elite title contending welterweights and since hes up their now, their in a very tough spot.

Think he loses any fight though to Alves, GSP, Fitch, or Kos so it really dont matter to me who he fights. Want him back at 185 where he was a sick speed advantage and can pick people apart like crazy! He only got held down once by Okami, who hasnt been held down and grinded out by him?

Post #16   6/15/09 12:18:31AM   

ravanunen

MMA Regular

Career:358-213
Chips:
I'd like to see Hardy vs Swick headline the next show in England (that is if the next show there is a Fight Night), but that's probably just because I'd like to see Hardy get his ass kicked

Post #17   6/15/09 12:33:57AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:844-522
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
The weight class does not really have a clear cut contender, there are several guys who are close but no one really has a firm grip on it. Saying he is a top 4 contender is not absurd by no means. I agree he still needs a defining win to seperate himself within the division. Give him Alves if he loses. Have him fight Hardy, after all the attention he got with the Davis fight that would be a fight that most would like to see. Johnson, Condit would be nice. I will throw this out there also. How about Trigg vs Swick? Could be interesting. That is if Trigg fights at 170 when he returns.

Post #18   6/15/09 2:12:00AM   

Jiu-Jitsu101

MMA Regular

Career:128-107
Chips:
I agree completly

Post #19   6/16/09 11:59:16PM   

SociopathX

MMA Regular

SociopathX Avatar

Career:210-126
Chips:
everyone should be forced to fight everyone.

Post #20   6/17/09 12:23:41AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I have to slip out of posting retirement to say this about Swick. He has yet to convince me he is ready for a title shot or is even in the top 10 for that matter. As far as I'm concerned the UFC has fed him nothing but WW leftovers since he dropped down. Let's go through the list.

Josh Burkman - was 5-3 in the UFC at the time he fought Swick. Though his record was ok, his wins were not exactly stellar and not exactly against any real dangerous fighters. However, I thought this was a reasonable match up for Swick's first fight at WW. The result was a real lacklustre performance by both fighters. With the advantage of hindsight, we can now see that Burkman has not put a good showing in quite a while, being 1-4 in his last 5 UFC fights. That coupled with how Mike looked against him is not exactly making Mike look like top 4 (in hindsight).

Marcus Davis - Was 6-1 in the UFC at the time he fought Swick. In terms of pure records this fight made some sense as Davis seemed like a step up from Burkman. However, looking at the level of competion Davis had in his previous UFC fights, he wasn't really in any better position than Swick as far as I was concerned. In fact, at MW Swick had a higher level of competion than Davis at WW. I feel that Davis has been somewhat overrated and his last 3-4 performances have really showed that he has peaked. Swick got the UD, but at that point I thought Swick was going to be the next Karo of the division.

Jonathan Goulet - As much as I like the guy, he was 4-3 going into the Swick fight and all his losses were really bad losses (I think all were 1 round KOs or subs). His wins were ok, but against mediocre fighters. Swick demolished him with a Rd 1 KO, a nice win on paper, but against a guy that has been KOed in Rd 1 several times before, it kind of takes away from it.

Ben Saunders - 3-0 in the octagon and all three of his opponents have losing records 0-2, 0-2 and 0-1 in the UFC and as far as I know, no longer with the UFC. Ben is still new to the game IMO and shouldn't be considered a "stepping stone" to a top 5 ranking (not even a top 10 ranking).

In summary, I don't see how a guy with said track record in the WW division can compare (ranking wise) to Koscheck, Fitch, Alves or GSP or even Karo. How can a fighter be in the top 5 if he hasn't even fought a top 10-15 fighter in the division? However, in defense of the rankings on this site, the WW division is what the MW division was a year to two years ago. It's weak except for the top few fighters. Given with what there is available, I say he would have to beat at least 2 of Kampmann, Condit and Larson to be considered top 5 in my book. I honsetly don't see that happening. In fact, I see him struggling against the likes of Anthony Johnson.

Last edited 6/18/09 4:13PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   6/18/09 4:12:46PM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I have to slip out of posting retirement to say this about Swick. He has yet to convince me he is ready for a title shot or is even in the top 10 for that matter. As far as I'm concerned the UFC has fed him nothing but WW leftovers since he dropped down. Let's go through the list.

Josh Burkman - was 5-3 in the UFC at the time he fought Swick. Though his record was ok, his wins were not exactly stellar and not exactly against any real dangerous fighters. However, I thought this was a reasonable match up for Swick's first fight at WW. The result was a real lacklustre performance by both fighters. With the advantage of hindsight, we can now see that Burkman has not put a good showing in quite a while, being 1-4 in his last 5 UFC fights. That coupled with how Mike looked against him is not exactly making Mike look like top 4 (in hindsight).

Marcus Davis - Was 6-1 in the UFC at the time he fought Swick. In terms of pure records this fight made some sense as Davis seemed like a step up from Burkman. However, looking at the level of competion Davis had in his previous UFC fights, he wasn't really in any better position than Swick as far as I was concerned. In fact, at MW Swick had a higher level of competion than Davis at WW. I feel that Davis has been somewhat overrated and his last 3-4 performances have really showed that he has peaked. Swick got the UD, but at that point I thought Swick was going to be the next Karo of the division.

Jonathan Goulet - As much as I like the guy, he was 4-3 going into the Swick fight and all his losses were really bad losses (I think all were 1 round KOs or subs). His wins were ok, but against mediocre fighters. Swick demolished him with a Rd 1 KO, a nice win on paper, but against a guy that has been KOed in Rd 1 several times before, it kind of takes away from it.

Ben Saunders - 3-0 in the octagon and all three of his opponents have losing records 0-2, 0-2 and 0-1 in the UFC and as far as I know, no longer with the UFC. Ben is still new to the game IMO and shouldn't be considered a "stepping stone" to a top 5 ranking (not even a top 10 ranking).

In summary, I don't see how a guy with said track record in the WW division can compare (ranking wise) to Koscheck, Fitch, Alves or GSP or even Karo. How can a fighter be in the top 5 if he hasn't even fought a top 10-15 fighter in the division? However, in defense of the rankings on this site, the WW division is what the MW division was a year to two years ago. It's weak except for the top few fighters. Given with what there is available, I say he would have to beat at least 2 of Kampmann, Condit and Larson to be considered top 5 in my book. I honsetly don't see that happening. In fact, I see him struggling against the likes of Anthony Johnson.

Glad to see you post Rush, IMO, Swick needs one big fight to prove himself to me.

Post #22   6/18/09 4:17:59PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
See the thing that I'm not sold on with Swick is the fact that he hasn't really fought one of the better wrestlers in the division. How's his takedown defense gonna stack up when he's fighting a guy like Larson or Fitch or Kos. I really think Koscheck and Fitch would literally just run through him. Get him to the ground and while he's lanky I don't see a problem with them controlling him so honestly I think Larson vs Swick should be up next and I would take Larson pretty much every time. That may be just me but I think if Swick can show he can beat a a top notch wrestler then I'll consider him in the mix....

If you don't want to read my post I think Rush's pretty much sums it up as well.

Post #23   6/18/09 7:55:31PM   

PrimeElite16

Learning to Sprawl

Career:358-331
Camp: Bushido Fighters
Chips:
Def do not think Swick is top four at 170...he might be lucky to be top 10 in my opinion.

Obviously Serra and Hughes can still bang after their last brawl. BJ Penn when he steps up to 170 will always be better than Swick...

Let's not forget that GSP right now is just too strong for Swick in my opinion.

Fitch
Koscheck
also i think would give swick a hard time...

def agree with the fact that Swick has not had to fight as many tough opponents as other fighters in this weight class

Post #24   6/20/09 10:12:13PM   

runningman08

Standup Guy

runningman08 Avatar

Career:448-283
Chips:
Hell i thought Swick was a top contender at middleweight until his lose to Okami. I think Swicks is going to be a beast at welterweight. With out a doubt top 4 but i think he would have trouble against GSP because of just pure control. If swick can get past that hes got great hands and jujitsu.

Post #25   6/21/09 1:00:54AM   

DirtyBoxer

Learning to Sprawl

DirtyBoxer Avatar

Career:217-185
Chips:
I think they should be forced to fight if Fitch is the next guy in front of him. Teammates or not. MMA is not a team sport. If teammates don't want to fight each other than they shouldn't be fighting in the same weight class. Its that simple. You don't get to pick and choose who you fight. You fight who they put in front of you or you get out of Dodge.

Post #26   6/21/09 1:01:08AM   

Se7enWounds

Learning to Sprawl

Se7enWounds Avatar

Career:288-205
Chips:
I think we will see Swick vs Kampann at UFC 103 0r 104. I also won't be surprised to see Condit vs Hardy soon either.

Post #27   6/21/09 8:03:35AM   

iceliddell240

Learning to Sprawl

iceliddell240 Avatar

Career:651-484
Camp: team atlas
Chips:
i would say he should fight rumble johnson, but we all know how that would end, devastating KO for johnson, i love swick but johnson might be the only welterweight with faster hands than him , and he's built like a LHW

Post #28   6/21/09 4:01:03PM   

deezyo

MMA Regular

deezyo Avatar

Career:979-773
Camp: C.O.B.
Chips:
i think he is

Post #29   6/26/09 11:27:32PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:546-340
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Rush

ROFL, not even top ten eh? Come on dude, his fight with Yushin Okami was a loss but its hard to call him untested. Marcus Davis was on a 6 fight win streak a leftover, really? Leftover from who? Ben Saunders was just not ready but 23% of playground thought he was. David Loiseau and Joe Riggs where on there way out of the UFC and IMO a fighter thats tacking on fighting for there job to there other motivations is much more dangerous than the same guy fighting for a paycheck. One thing they both have in common is they weren't leftovers till Swick was done with them.

You cant make a legitimate top ten in the UFC WW division without Swick in it. I dont see any reason to feel swick is untested or needs to prove he is a top athlete, he dose need a big win to push through the top 4 but I dont think Kos is in that four with his losses as of late so that leaves Fitch who is already fighting so there's really no conflict. Give him Kampmann, Hardy, Parisyan or heck give him Hughes or Lytle both just won.

Top 4 is pushing it, top five is more likely but top ten is a fact.

Posted by iceliddell240

i would say he should fight rumble johnson, but we all know how that would end, devastating KO for johnson, i love swick but johnson might be the only welterweight with faster hands than him , and he's built like a LHW

When Swick beat him and believe me he would beat him, he would still be left right where he is now. Johnson was submitted by Rich Clementi and the burns fights dont make him look all that hot, his hands are fast but Luigi Fioravanti makes for his only notable win and Luigi ain't no Mario!.

Sorry but beating Johnson for someone in Swick's position has no real up side, Johnson has yet to beat or even fight anyone ranked and he's been beat twice, thats not the fight Swick should be looking for IMO.

Last edited 6/27/09 1:44PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
7 total post edits

Post #30   6/27/09 12:57:06PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3