Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nick Diaz Could Fight At Light Heavyweight

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Jackelope

I would love to see him move up to LHW and try to pitter patter with his hands against someone like Hendo. Hendo would walk right through those, put an overhand right on his chin, and then pick him up and dump him on his head. Nothing more humiliating than getting tossed around by a wrestler. As a matter of fact, throw him in there against a new wrestler like Ryan Bader just to humble him even further.

And then what, get submitted? yep. You guys are a bit funny. I get tired of people trying to say Diaz has no power when he has 11 wins by ko or tko. Nobody wants to go to the ground with Nick and thats why most everyone stands.I dont think hendo has a easy time landing overhand haymakers as we have seen Nick gives powerful strikers like Scott Smith and Robbie fits. But lets say he lands a few, Nick has a rock solid chin as well.

Its easy to say he would walk though Nicks shots but its not realistic because Diaz is not going to just stand still and he has good footwork.

Im not saying he beats everyone but he would be competitive.

Posted by telnights

Umm I think Diaz is a good fighter and all but he would get murdered by any of the top ten fighters at LHW and most likely by a lot of the guys not even in the top 10. You would have to be crazy to think size and strength don't play a huge part in fighting. He would much better off seeing how he would do with the top guys at WW and MW. I don't think he could break in to the top five of either of those weight classes. I know some have said BJ has fought at LHW but BJ is also a much better fighter than Diaz is and he only had one fight at LHW that he didn't win.

Diaz is 6ft tall and thats right about the average hight for a LHW in the UFC, he has long arms so to say he doesn't have the frame to fight at LHW and be successful is not really realistic either, in fact the bigger Nick gets the better he fights. Personally I think 170 or 185 would be his ideal weight but who knows because we have yet to see him at 205.

I dont see how it would be hard for him to pack on more muscle as long as he is willing to give up his triathlon's.

He isn't a 1 punch KO guy. His punches may hurt, but they're not going to KTFO a 205 lb'er. That I can remember, he's only KTFO'd 1 person throughout his career. I'm not saying he can't TKO a person, but he DID hit Scott Smith over 200 times without KTFO'ing him. Get hit 200 times by the average 205 lb'er and see how long you last. Even a gigantic slugfest at 205 lbs like Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar saw less than 100 strikes from each fighter, all they would need is a couple good tags on Diaz's chin. The power difference between 170, 185, and 205 is IMMENSE. Also, was I the only one who noticed that his body looked anything but ripped fighting Scott Smith?

I mean, there is some serious nut huggery going on here. Let's not forget that when Diaz left the UFC he'd dropped 3 fights in a row. The guy is a quality fighter, but he's recently beaten Scott Smith, Frank Shamrock, and Thomas Denny. Now all of the sudden he's going to walk through the UFC's LHW division? You really are only as good as your last fight.

I'm not even going to get into the Dan Henderson getting submitted by Nick Diaz argument. I just can't believe the things I'm seeing actually typed out onto a screen. I don't know how big you are in real life, but if you're naturally about 170, go grapple and strike with a 205 lb'er (who is generally about 220-230 walking weight) and tell me how confident you are that Nick Diaz is going to be able to take a shot from those guys, or have his way with them on the ground. Nick Diaz is good, but he got cut from the UFC for a reason, as did Scott Smith. Please detach yourself from the nuts

Last edited 6/10/09 9:44AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   6/10/09 9:42:07AM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

He isn't a 1 punch KO guy. His punches may hurt, but they're not going to KTFO a 205 lb'er. That I can remember, he's only KTFO'd 1 person throughout his career. I'm not saying he can't TKO a person, but he DID hit Scott Smith over 200 times without KTFO'ing him. Get hit 200 times by the average 205 lb'er and see how long you last. Even a gigantic slugfest at 205 lbs like Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar saw less than 100 strikes from each fighter, all they would need is a couple good tags on Diaz's chin. The power difference between 170, 185, and 205 is IMMENSE. Also, was I the only one who noticed that his body looked anything but ripped fighting Scott Smith?

I mean, there is some serious nut huggery going on here. Let's not forget that when Diaz left the UFC he'd dropped 3 fights in a row. The guy is a quality fighter, but he's recently beaten Scott Smith, Frank Shamrock, and Thomas Denny. Now all of the sudden he's going to walk through the UFC's LHW division? You really are only as good as your last fight.

I'm not even going to get into the Dan Henderson getting submitted by Nick Diaz argument. I just can't believe the things I'm seeing actually typed out onto a screen. I don't know how big you are in real life, but if you're naturally about 170, go grapple and strike with a 205 lb'er (who is generally about 220-230 walking weight) and tell me how confident you are that Nick Diaz is going to be able to take a shot from those guys, or have his way with them on the ground. Nick Diaz is good, but he got cut from the UFC for a reason, as did Scott Smith. Please detach yourself from the nuts

I don't think he could cut it at LHW. I think he could get a few wins, but not against most of the top 10 guys, i mean lets just look at a few of the top 10.

Machida-definitely not
Evans-don't see it happenin
Griffin-he'd get his shots in, but still lose
Rampage-he'd be out cold
Shogun-shogun in shape....NO, gassing shogun,maybe
Wandy-awesome fight, but he still loses
Jardine-maybe
Thiago Silva-i could see him winning
Babalu-also a maybe

This is 9 of the top 10, (Hendos at MW, dont gimme ****) but if u look at this, at best if he fought all these guys in a row, i'd say his record is 2-7, with his wins comin at the bottom of the rankings. He should just stick with MW, he's good there and comfortable.

His boxing is great cuz he puts together quick combos, which IMO he would lost the speed to pull of against guys in LHW, who are used to that weight. Honestly he could go MW or WW, but he just wouldn't be successful ENOUGH at LHW

Last edited 6/10/09 10:50AM server time by Pskinner_mma314

Post #17   6/10/09 10:40:47AM   

coldchillin

In Full Mount

coldchillin Avatar

Career:533-287
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Jackelope

I would love to see him move up to LHW and try to pitter patter with his hands against someone like Hendo. Hendo would walk right through those, put an overhand right on his chin, and then pick him up and dump him on his head. Nothing more humiliating than getting tossed around by a wrestler. As a matter of fact, throw him in there against a new wrestler like Ryan Bader just to humble him even further.

And then what, get submitted? yep. You guys are a bit funny. I get tired of people trying to say Diaz has no power when he has 11 wins by ko or tko. Nobody wants to go to the ground with Nick and thats why most everyone stands.I dont think hendo has a easy time landing overhand haymakers as we have seen Nick gives powerful strikers like Scott Smith and Robbie fits. But lets say he lands a few, Nick has a rock solid chin as well.

Its easy to say he would walk though Nicks shots but its not realistic because Diaz is not going to just stand still and he has good footwork.

Posted by telnights

Umm I think Diaz is a good fighter and all but he would get murdered by any of the top ten fighters at LHW and most likely by a lot of the guys not even in the top 10. You would have to be crazy to think size and strength don't play a huge part in fighting. He would much better off seeing how he would do with the top guys at WW and MW. I don't think he could break in to the top five of either of those weight classes. I know some have said BJ has fought at LHW but BJ is also a much better fighter than Diaz is and he only had one fight at LHW that he didn't win.

Diaz is 6ft tall and thats right about the average hight for a LHW in the UFC, he has long arms so to say he doesn't have the frame to fight at LHW and be successful is not really realistic either, in fact the bigger Nick gets the better he fights. Personally I think 170 or 185 would be his ideal weight but who knows because we have yet to see him at 205.

I dont see how it would be hard for him to pack on more muscle as long as he is willing to give up his triathlon's.

at one point he did drop 3 fights in a row but he left the UFC on a 2-fight win streak completely destroying Josh Neer and Gleison Tibau. Get your facts straight, Diaz did not leave the UFC on a 3-fight losing streak, HE LEFT ON A 2-FIGHT WIN STREAK.

He wasn't cut, Dana White basically told him he was going to put him on The Comeback show and Diaz said no and left before resigning.

I hate when Diaz haters try to pass lies off as facts...

With that said, he belongs nowhere near 205. 170-180 is where he belongs...

Post #18   6/10/09 3:48:22PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,650-1,404
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I jus finish reading all the diaz posts and most of u guys sound nothing but a bunch of diaz haters.Not once did he say he can beat anybody,jus said he wanted exciting fights.For the guy that said he has no power in his punches why don't u call up scott smith and ask him how his liver is.I hope he goes up and proves all u fools wrong and if he gets ko at least he has the balls to try.Next time u start talking **** about a guy u jus don't like for your own personally reasons get the facts right.

Post #19   6/10/09 4:38:28PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
WOW I'm shocked by the post I'm reading about Diaz. You would think he is the next coming of Fedor by reading some of the post. The guy hasn't beaten any and I mean any top tens other than a out of shape Gomi which was later over turned because he had THC level so high it is shocking he was able to feel anything more less fight. His last loss was to Noons a sub par pro boxer who was beating him badly in the stand up. Now he is talking about boxing Roy and taking on LHWs. So he beat Scott Smith who went 1-3 in the UFC. A aging Frank Shamrock who couldn't make it in the UFC now. Thomas Denny who is a B level fighter. Lets be realistic here Diaz is a good fighter with fair stand up and good submission skills. But to think he has the ability or size to be fighting top level 205ers or boxing Roy is crazy.

Post #20   6/10/09 5:35:58PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by coldchillin

at one point he did drop 3 fights in a row but he left the UFC on a 2-fight win streak completely destroying Josh Neer and Gleison Tibau. Get your facts straight, Diaz did not leave the UFC on a 3-fight losing streak, HE LEFT ON A 2-FIGHT WIN STREAK.

He wasn't cut, Dana White basically told him he was going to put him on The Comeback show and Diaz said no and left before resigning.

I hate when Diaz haters try to pass lies off as facts...

With that said, he belongs nowhere near 205. 170-180 is where he belongs...

The first time he left he was on a 3 fight losing streak. So my facts were straight, but we're talking about a different time. Diaz's own decisions are what has kept him from fighting top fighters. So, to see him beating lower tier competition all while begging for upper level competition is laughable. He put himself in that situation. He's good, but he wasn't cream of the crop in the UFC. All of the sudden now, though, he's being hailed as this great fighter who could knock out light heavyweights because he beat up on guys who are notorious for getting beat up on in the standup. I've seen Scott Smith crumble from liver shots more than any other person in all of MMA. As soon as he gets put up against guys who have an iota of superior quality standup he gets worked. Notice the fight with Noons. He did well against Gomi, I'll give you that, but he took nearly as much damage as he dished out in that fight, and obviously he was high as hell so he wasn't feeling the pain.

I jus finish reading all the diaz posts and most of u guys sound nothing but a bunch of diaz haters.Not once did he say he can beat anybody,jus said he wanted exciting fights.For the guy that said he has no power in his punches why don't u call up scott smith and ask him how his liver is.I hope he goes up and proves all u fools wrong and if he gets ko at least he has the balls to try.Next time u start talking **** about a guy u jus don't like for your own personally reasons get the facts right.

You guys are almost as sensitive as Diaz. I'm just being realistic about the situation, and you're getting all pissed off just like he would. Good thing there's no e-water bottles around. I don't know if you've seen all the interviews or the quotes he's had lately, but Diaz has mentioned several times that he feels he can beat much better competition. Again, I direct you to the fact that he has lost to several fighters that aren't exactly cream of the crop competition.

Fact is this- Diaz has skills, and I take nothing away from him. However, he complains about a situation he put himself in. Fedor is different in the sense that he has beaten all the top competition. People are clamoring to get to him, not the other way around. I guarantee you, point blank matter of fact no doubt whatsoever in my mind that if you put Diaz back in the UFC he will get beaten by guys outside of the top 5 in whatever weight class he chooses. He'll beat some, too.. for sure, but I doubt at LHW he would. There's not a light heavyweight in the UFC that I would take him over. Maybe Houston Alexander, but that's a big MAYBE. Name me some guys you think he could beat at LHW in the UFC?

Post #21   6/10/09 7:45:15PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
All of this is pointless because if any fighter was going from 170 to 205 they'd put on the necessary weight over a period of time and then would "be" a 205'er.

Anybody at 170 we'd say has little chance at 205, because we can't really picture them maintaining their low body fat and adding 35 pounds of muscle.

Really a pointless topic all based on Cesar Gracie saying if a big money LHW fight came along they'd do it and have him put on the necessary weight. Big money LHWs could be Ken Shamrock llevel, Strikeforce LHW's would be Aaron Rosa level. I don't know why this turned into a Diaz vs. Top 5 UFC LHW's.

to the thread.

Last edited 6/10/09 7:54PM server time by kpro

Post #22   6/10/09 7:52:20PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Kpro

All of this is pointless because if any fighter was going from 170 to 205 they'd put on the necessary weight over a period of time and then would "be" a 205'er.

Anybody at 170 we'd say has little chance at 205, because we can't really picture them maintaining their low body fat and adding 35 pounds of muscle.

Really a pointless topic all based on Cesar Gracie saying if a big money LHW fight came along they'd do it and have him put on the necessary weight. Big money LHWs could be Ken Shamrock llevel, Strikeforce LHW's would be Aaron Rosa level. I don't know why this turned into a Diaz vs. Top 5 UFC LHW's.

to the thread.

Believe me, I somewhat agree. However, sometimes I feel compelled to be a voice of reason around here. Fighters go on win streaks and people start getting delusional.

I like watching Nick Diaz fight. Pretty much love watching him fight. I don't know why I'm coming off as a "hater" in all these conversations, I'm just being the voice of reason.

Post #23   6/10/09 11:39:59PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Chips:
i jus want to clear things up not once did i say diaz is going to 205 and taken over but thats what most of u jokers turn it into.I'm not going to knock a guy who has the balls to fight somebody much bigger and stronger because i think its exciting.about the noons fight the fight went only 1 rd and was stop on cut but ya noons wass winning but diaz in the past is known for a slow starter.i personally think 170 is great for diaz.again if u don't know the fact then keep quiet.jus my opion,i'm sure u guys will turn this into something else lol

Post #24   6/11/09 2:59:06AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Edwards

i jus want to clear things up not once did i say diaz is going to 205 and taken over but thats what most of u jokers turn it into.I'm not going to knock a guy who has the balls to fight somebody much bigger and stronger because i think its exciting.about the noons fight the fight went only 1 rd and was stop on cut but ya noons wass winning but diaz in the past is known for a slow starter.i personally think 170 is great for diaz.again if u don't know the fact then keep quiet.jus my opion,i'm sure u guys will turn this into something else lol

Been an MMA fan for a long time, and I definitely know the facts. Not trying to talk myself up, I just think most posters here would vouch that I know the facts. Between myself, Telnights, and Pookie being the ones saying fans are delusional- well... it's pretty damn safe to say that the naysayers are knowledgeable fans.

Diaz may be a slow starter, but he never once got anywhere close to starting in that Noons match. He was embarassed from the beginning. Shooting from 6 feet out, getting stuffed, and getting beat the hell up. It was the worst I think we've ever seen Diaz look.

I won't knock a guy for having the balls to move up weight, either. I will knock fans for being delusional about how good a fighter really is, though.

Post #25   6/11/09 9:43:57AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:540-338
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by telnights

So because he doesn't have one punch KO power he cant hang at 205? LOL you take half the strikers at 205 have the cut to MW and see how much power they lose, its not "realistic" to say he wont have more power or KO power at that weight because point blank he's never fought that heavy. You keep saying your the voice of reason but lets be honest your not, you're the voice of speculation just as I am we just are speculating in two different directions. You did see my say I think his optimal weight is from 175 to 180 right?

Diaz stops strikers not with brute strength but with accuracy and volume, and it really doesn't matter what weight you fight at if you get hit with that many strikes to the head its going to hurt. Lets not forget he rarely loads up on strikes to the head and saves his power shots for the body. You make my point for me "get hit with 200 strikes by the average 205er and lets see how long you last" Well Nick is the guy that would be landing the 200 strikes and he is a much better striker that "average" You you're self say the power difference is 'IMMENSE" and I agree he's not going to toss out 200 strikes at 205 but 100 he absolutely could.

I also dont see the reasoning behind saying all anyone would need to do is hit him with a few solid strikes that doesn't sound like a reasonable statement IMO either. Nick has more that proven he has a chin.

You guys are acting like a 175 lb Diaz would be fighting at 205. I also like how you pick Forrest as a reference as he is one of the LHW fighters that is larger than average and could fight at HW but Id take that bet if it could be made because I dont think he could handle the style Nick fights and maybe he could KO Diaz but I think its more likely he would get dismantled in the striking and I say that because if Nick came in at a true 205 IMO he would strike every bit has hard as Forrest have a speed and accuracy advantage.

telnights I never said he would walk through the LHW division I said he would be competitive and he would. the "real world and nut hugging" comments are a bit out of line and go farther to show a dislike for Nick and maybe me than any real logic, bash me all you want I mean you are the moderators here its your show, but it doesn't help you make a point and makes you look like maybe you shouldn't be mods IMO.

Posted by emfleek

Posted by mentalcase

i love diaz this sport would be better if more fighter were like him

...and this sport would also have one less fan.

I'm not too big on the antics either. You realize we are not talking personality because once you separate the two its pretty hard to say MMA would lose fans, I actuality think we would gain them.

Posted by Jackelope
Been an MMA fan for a long time, and I definitely know the facts. Not trying to talk myself up, I just think most posters here would vouch that I know the facts. Between myself, Telnights, and Pookie being the ones saying fans are delusional- well... it's pretty damn safe to say that the naysayers are knowledgeable fans.

To be quit honest if I'm interpreting what you just said right, you're acting more pompous than knowledgeable. Im 36 and have followed MMA forever and just because I dont agree with you dose not make me any less knowledgeable or delusional. Insinuating people are ignorant may not be the same as coming right out and saying it but its still attacking people and not there opinions. I guess the topic has broke down to the point I'm just going to move on.

Last edited 6/11/09 4:16PM server time by slapshot
10 total post edits

Post #26   6/11/09 2:42:41PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Chips:
for all u diaz haters who have their facts straight well here's a fact,diaz has lost 1 fight in the last 3 years the three loses that u guys think he left the ufc on weren't his last three fights and lost on all dec and close fights and for the gomi fight lets get real that was crazy fight which diaz was getting his ass kicked and pulled out the win and for the no contest what do think he had a bong in the back and was hitting it please,he smokes a little pot i don't care what the guy does on hid own time,the fact is diaz is way a better fighter that u guys are giving him credit for.Sorry i think u guys jus don't like the guy.jus wondering are u guys ufc fans or mma fans and are u guys ever wrong since u know your facts.

Post #27   6/11/09 3:09:47PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
He's not even making the weight limit for MW--let alone LHW.

I mean could you imagine Quinton Jackson and Nick Diaz going at it? He looks fine at 180--but 170 is probably best.

Post #28   6/11/09 4:24:17PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by slapshot

To be quit honest if I'm interpreting what you just said right, you're acting more pompous than knowledgeable. Im 36 and have followed MMA forever and just because I dont agree with you dose not make me any less knowledgeable or delusional. Insinuating people are ignorant may not be the same as coming right out and saying it but its still attacking people and not there opinions. I guess the topic has broke down to the point I'm just going to move on.

Alright, well.. I realize the difficulty of being a mod is that every post I make is going to come off as self absorbed, pompous, or however you want to say it. Or that I'm breaking the rules and attacking you personally, which I'm not. It's just the difficulty being a mod presents, and it is why I try to keep the fact that I'm a mod low key. I consider myself a member of a community, but you can interpret the moderator title as you wish. If I really planned on abusing my power I'd have already banned your account, but I haven't. I haven't threatened your status as a member of this community nor brought up the fact that I'm a moderator once in this conversation. When I said that between myself, Telnights and Pookie it should be clear we're knowledgeable people I am saying that based on our playground records, the length we've been members of this community, the volume of quality posts we've made and props we've received. Misconstrue that as pompous if you wish, but I meant it more to make a point. Also, to be perfectly clear I'm not saying you guys aren't knowledgeable posters. I'm just saying that I think in this case you're allowing a fighter's likability and recent wins to cloud your judgment.

I understand that Nick Diaz wouldn't fight at 205 as a 170 lb'er. I would hope that it goes without saying, but apparently it doesn't. Here's the thing about going from 170-205 lbs, though- you can't do it over a few weeks or months while maintaining the same level of fitness, body fat %, muscle mass, bone density, speed, reach advantage, etc. as guys who are natural 205 lb dudes. It is physically impossible without the addition of steroids or years of training. It just can't be done. So to assume that Diaz's chin or punching power would prove as solid at 205 as it is at 170 is wild speculation at best.

Just to be 100% clear, I will itemize my specific beliefs on this entire subject, and then I'm through with it. For the record- I enjoy a good debate, and that's why I've continued to post on this subject. People can get touchy if they want, but as I've said numerous times- I'm not attacking you, I'm attacking your opinions with logic.

Pros-

- I thoroughly enjoy Diaz's fights
- I think he is an excellent fighter with world class skills
- I think that while fighting at 170 lbs he is dangerous for nearly any WW in the world

Cons-

- I don't think Diaz would be "competitive" with any UFC LHW top 15
- I don't think his style would be conducive to that weight class
- I don't think his chin would hold up at 205
- I don't think his power would hold up at 205
- I think his recent wins make him look a lot better than he realistically is, especially at 185 lbs.

Last edited 6/11/09 4:36PM server time by Jackelope

Post #29   6/11/09 4:32:39PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
who cares about nick diaz possibly taking a fight at 205

the real fight is waiting for him at HW i cant wait to see Nick Diaz omoplata Fedor.

Post #30   6/11/09 7:31:44PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3