Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tim Sylvia confident he could take Brock Lesnar

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia says he would jump at the chance to fight current UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

"I want to fight a couple of times and get some wins, get some momentum again but if the UFC called and said 'We want you to fight Brock in three months', I would do it," he said to Fighters Only recently.

The former heavyweight boss thinks Lesnar got his title shot too early, although he believes he has justified that opportunity since.

LINK

Post #1   6/9/09 1:30:44AM   

Khaos

TUF 2 Alternate

Khaos Avatar

Career:2,397-1,758
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
I'd give Giant Silva a better chance of beating lesnar then I would Tim. I can't even take this seriously, I hope he losses at Affliction, then make PB can come back to the UFC, he was only 3-1 in the company.

Post #2   6/9/09 1:49:27AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
I dont doubt Sylvia could dominate Lesnar. Lesnar beat fighters who are primarily wrestlers. Sylvia can sprawl and with the way Lesnar looked against Couture with striking i believe Sylvia would KO him in the second. Lesnar could barely stand to take a punch from Couture who is known to not have heavy hands.

But this is coming from a pro-Sylvia guy....also an anti-Lesnar guy

Post #3   6/9/09 2:27:20AM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
For a guy who doesn't have heavy hands Couture knocked Timmy on his rear end pretty quick didnt he.... Lesnar would KO sylvia in the 1st round end of story....

Post #4   6/9/09 3:41:12AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Loot613

For a guy who doesn't have heavy hands Couture knocked Timmy on his rear end pretty quick didnt he.... Lesnar would KO sylvia in the 1st round end of story....

Sylvia was caught off guard and was never once in danger of being put to sleep. If Arlovski couldnt put Tim out, Lesnar is a joke to pick as a TKO/KO. He has very minimal striking skill. Honestly, ive been boxing for only 4 years and i think i could handle Lesnar easily. he made that bad of an impression on me with his striking.

What could Lesnar do to beat Sylvia? LnP? Has anyone seen Sylvia sprawl?

Post #5   6/9/09 3:58:51AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Sylvia's always viewed Lesnar with a little criticism, stemming from the way Zuffa handled his contract, and I don't think for a bad reason. Sylvia was a two-time UFC champion when a 1-0 Lesnar showed up to the UFC, only to not get paid as well as him.

Of course Tim Sylvia has a chance against Brock Lesnar. I wouldn't pick him right now, but Sylvia's a good enough fighter to have a chance against (almost) everybody.

On a sidenote, Sylvia never puts down Lesnar in that article. ("The sky is the limit for that guy. He improves every time he fights. He has got some good people behind him and he trains smart. The sky is the limit for that guy."") I don't see anything controversial.

Post #6   6/9/09 4:04:50AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I think we all forget the fact of sheer brute athletic force. Koscheck can can send an e-mail and an instructional video of what takedown he's gonna do to you and how to avoid it 3 hours in advance, and 90 percent at least, of his oponents still won't stop it. It's this explosive athletic missile that drives and even if stopped mid motion drives again.

That's the kind of athletic talent and force Lesnar brings to the table. He can openly signal to Sylvia he's gonna go for a shot and he'll still get the takedown every time.

That's it.

Sylvia has notorious **** wrestling, and notorious size to make up for it, we'll, he's smaller, and only 4 inches taller. And has no bottom game aside from a closed guard and head tug.

Post #7   6/9/09 4:05:30AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:
i guess im the only Sylvia fan that exists in the world.....

Post #8   6/9/09 4:09:54AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

i guess im the only Sylvia fan that exists in the world.....

No i agree with you too man, but ive learned its best to keep the valuable information to yourself sometimes. People may not believe you but at least youll benifit from it, and you can laugh at how sneaky you were when you look back at it.

Post #9   6/9/09 4:49:31AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I dont think Tim has the type of sprawl he would need to keep the fight standing and sooner or later Lesnar would take him down and pound on him.

You guys could give Brock a little credit, I swear it wont kill you.

I mean I dont think Tim was ever in serious trouble after he recovered from that opening shot randy gave him either but he was still losing the stand up IMO. Looking Brock and Randy's fight Brock was hanging right in there with randy's striking.

Tim still has more power than randy and could test Brock's chin but my personal opinion is that Tim is not very good off his back and even though Randy could not keep him there Brock could, Ive actually started to like Brock and every day that goes by you know he's getting better and better so as long as he doesn't forget he's a wrestler and try to stand with Sylvia I think he would win.

Last edited 6/9/09 5:46AM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   6/9/09 5:46:04AM   

j_decoteau54

Learning to Sprawl

j_decoteau54 Avatar

Career:902-593
Chips:
is this for real

Post #11   6/9/09 5:53:08AM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
You guys know who Lesnars training partner is right? I'll give u one geuss, he just KTFO'd Arlovski....

and yes even i can use lame smileys

Last edited 6/9/09 6:09AM server time by loot613
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   6/9/09 6:08:10AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Loot613

Sylvia was caught off guard and was never once in danger of being put to sleep. If Arlovski couldnt put Tim out, Lesnar is a joke to pick as a TKO/KO. He has very minimal striking skill. Honestly, ive been boxing for only 4 years and i think i could handle Lesnar easily. he made that bad of an impression on me with his striking.

What could Lesnar do to beat Sylvia? LnP? Has anyone seen Sylvia sprawl?

I don't know what the flip anyone is talking about. Lesnar would handle Sylvia at will. He would take him down easy and GNP until the ref stops it. Lesnar wouldn't even stand with him.....

Post #13   6/9/09 8:17:02AM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
i cant believe people are still taking sylvia seriously. ray mercer?

Post #14   6/9/09 8:17:12AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:
This isn't a fight that I would even care to watch. I think it would be a hard one to pick, though.

Post #15   6/9/09 8:25:26AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3