Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gina Carano vs Cristiane ‘Cyborg’ Santos confirmed for August 15 Strikeforce event!

Print  
Posted By Message

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
linkage

Strikeforce today confirmed that former Elite XC fighter and recent Strikeforce acquisition Cristiane Santos (7-1) will finally fight female fighting sensation Gina Carano (7-0) at the upcoming Strikeforce event planned for August 15.

“Cyborg,” the wife of former Pride FC fighter Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, burst onto the scene in May of 2008 with a dominating performance against Shayna Baszler in her debut under the Elite XC banner. Like her husband, she’s a product of the Brazilian Chute Boxe Academy, a style that’s evident as soon as she steps foot in the cage.

Her most recent fight was on the Strikeforce: ‘Shamrock vs. Diaz’ card last April when she received heavy criticism for missing weight for her fight against Japanese import Hitomi Akano. Santos brutalized “Girlfight Monster” for two rounds before stopping her with strikes in the final frame.

Since the fall of Elite XC immediately following Elite XC: “Heat” in 2008, Santos has been clear on the fact that she wanted to fight Carano, the face of women’s MMA and one-time Elite XC headliner.

And “Conviction” is more than happy to oblige.

Post #1   6/6/09 11:10:35PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Odds on them both missing weight?

Probably should just make it a catch weight.

Post #2   6/6/09 11:15:29PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Carano to run through 'Cyborg'. I don't beleive they're at the same level.

Post #3   6/7/09 3:32:27AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Agreed. Santos usually bullies around her opponents with a size advantage, but against Carano that's not in play. I bet Santos will implement her aggressive striking only to be frustrated by a formidable defensive striker. Kaufman poses more of a threat.

WAR CARANO

Post #4   6/7/09 4:25:11AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Odds on them both missing weight?

Probably should just make it a catch weight.

Of course we don't even know what the weight will be, my suggestion is 145. Either way, LET'S GET IT ONNNNNNNNNN!

Post #5   6/7/09 8:56:49AM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
WAR CARANO!!!!

Post #6   6/7/09 11:17:37AM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
GO GO CARANO.

Allow them to fight at 170 :D Heavy bitchez. "I like big butts and I can not lie"

I hope Carano crushes that strange looking brazilian creature.

Post #7   6/7/09 6:40:08PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
All I want for Christmas is for Carano to come down my Chimney in a Mrs Clause outfit, and for her to let me get in her guard. Then I would let her sweep me to Mount

Random but ok, I think Carano can win, but Cyborg is a man. Im tellin u she has more Testosterone than all of us on MMA PG. Carano needs to have a smart fight, and a good gameplan. But its possible.

I would pick Carano, but IMO she has a 25-35% chance on winning.

Post #8   6/8/09 1:30:40PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

I would not be so quick to judge this one, I think Gina has a advantage in striking when it comes to accuracy and speed but I think Cyborg has more power.

I love Gina and will pick her to win but I think Cyborg is the biggest challenge Gina has ever faced and Im a little worried she might take Gina down and either pound her out or sub her.

Who do you all think has the more impressive record as far as tough opponents?

Im cheering for Gina all the way, she needs to keep it standing and out box Cyborg and I think she can but if it turns into a brawl or goes to the ground I have some serious questions about how Gina can handle it, especially on the ground where I feel Gina's game is much weaker than cyborgs.

WAR CARANO!

P.S. I know Gina is hawt and all but dont let Santos's unhotness fool you she is very much in Gina's league and Dangerous with a capital D!

Last edited 6/8/09 4:37PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #9   6/8/09 4:30:14PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

I know Gina is hawt and all but dont let Santos's unhotness fool you she is very much in Gina's league and Dangerous with a capital D

D for DAMN he's ugly!!

this could be a good fight. my heart(penis) says gina but somethings telling me shes up against a monster. im just hoping for a fight that gets exciting before 2 minutes into each 3 minute round.

5 minute rounds for women!! if they are not going to cook our dinner and raise our children then make them fight 5 minute rounds like everyone else!! WAR equality!

Post #10   6/8/09 5:35:07PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by slapshot

Who do you all think has the more impressive record as far as tough opponents?

Carano. She has fought top female talent such as Sexton, Maxwell, Kedzie, Kobold and Evinger.

'Cyborg' has only fought Shayna Baszler really.

Gina should be a heavy favourite in this fight and i expect a finish too.

Post #11   6/9/09 1:12:30AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Yeah I guess I mean to me nether fighter seems to have fought anyone thats dangerous and even close to the same size. Someone said Santos has had the luxury of fighting smaller fighters she can push around but IMO so has Gina so this is a interesting fight in that they are both about the same weight.

TBH I have only seen a few of Santos's fights and its hard to know who's are real challenge in WMMA so I cant tell by just looking at her record if she has fought the same caliber of fighters as Gina or not so Ill take your word for it.

Looking at fight finder they don't seem to have a common opponent, Like I said I like Gina for her well rounded striking and santos for her ground game.

Im picking Gina but if Cyborg pulls it off it wouldn't shock me.

Last edited 6/9/09 1:56PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   6/9/09 1:48:10PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by slapshot

Yeah I guess I mean to me nether fighter seems to have fought anyone thats dangerous and even close to the same size. Someone said Santos has had the luxury of fighting smaller fighters she can push around but IMO so has Gina so this is a interesting fight in that they are both about the same weight.

TBH I have only seen a few of Santos's fights and its hard to know who's are real challenge in WMMA so I cant tell by just looking at her record if she has fought the same caliber of fighters as Gina or not so Ill take your word for it.

Looking at fight finder they don't seem to have a common opponent, Like I said I like Gina for her well rounded striking and santos for her ground game.

Im picking Gina but if Cyborg pulls it off it wouldn't shock me.

It's for the title now also.....

Post #13   6/9/09 2:29:30PM