Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Tito Ortiz Sued Over MMA Trash Talk

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Tito Ortiz is on the receiving end of a serious legal attack -- one that started after the UFC legend bashed "Rampage" Jackson's former trainer to the media.

The guy filing the lawsuit is Juanito Ibarra -- a fighting expert who claims he's trained more than 15 world champs and several Olympic Gold Medal winners. Ibarra's pissed over an interview Tito gave to a website back in 2008, in which the fighter ripped Ibarra as a "thief" who had financially "taken advantage of Rampage."

In the lawsuit, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Ibarra claims Tito's statements are all false and "highly offensive" -- and things got worse when scores of sports websites began publishing follow-up stories, repeating Tito's comments.

Ibarra is suing Tito and all the blogs and publications that ran Tito's interview for defamation, invasion of privacy and emotional distress.

Link

Post #1   6/5/09 11:49:50PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,763-1,032
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He's gonna sue every single blog ? Highly unlikely, if even possible...

Post #2   6/5/09 11:53:37PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

the fighter ripped Ibarra as a "thief" who had financially "taken advantage of Rampage."

Ibarra is suing Tito and all the blogs and publications that ran Tito's interview for defamation, invasion of privacy and emotional distress.

sounds like a thief trying to take advantage of the bloggers.

Last edited 6/5/09 11:57PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   6/5/09 11:55:46PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by grappler0000

the fighter ripped Ibarra as a "thief" who had financially "taken advantage of Rampage."

Exactly, lets prove we're not a money hungry douchebag by suing someone for claiming we're a money hungry douchebag.

Post #4   6/6/09 12:18:20AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
i really want to take ibarra's side and say Tito had it coming.

but i just cant...

Exactly, lets prove we're not a money hungry douchebag by suing someone for claiming we're a money hungry douchebag.

Post #5   6/6/09 1:44:40AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,477-767
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Kpro

Posted by grappler0000

proving hes not a money hungry douchebag has nothing to do with it, gaining more money by suing someone who has money is why hes doing it

Post #6   6/6/09 2:33:12AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Kpro

Posted by grappler0000

proving hes not a money hungry douchebag has nothing to do with it, gaining more money by suing someone who has money is why hes doing it

Dude, shut up...

Post #7   6/6/09 5:17:25AM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
He is going to have a really hard time with this lawsuit if they consider him a public figure. The standard for libel is extremely high for public figures and if(more like when) Ibarra is classified as a public figure his case is going straight to the dump.

Post #8   6/6/09 5:25:31AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,329-737
Chips:
Let me say now I don't like Juanito Ibarra this is because of things I have heard from people in the boxing game that are very good friends of mine. But what Tito did was hurt his image as a trainer and that's what makes or breaks trainers. As a trainer myself word of mouth is everything and when a high profile fighter comes out and calls you basically a thief to the press it spreads like wild fire among the fight industry. Now Juanito Ibarra didn't have the greatest rep to speak of at least not from what I have heard the past 5 or so years about him. But that still doesn't give Tito the right to bad mouth the guy and call him a thief to the press when Tito only had part of the story and has never worked with him before. It would like a big name Scientist coming out and saying Coke Cola causes warts without having any of the facts and just going off hearsay. That's defamation plan and simple. So is he right to sue Tito? Very much so, but going after the bloggers and media outlets that ran the story is just plan dumb and hurts his image even more. So he is making what Tito said look to be true and makes it look even more like he is looking for a big payday and less like he is trying to show what Tito said isn't true.

Post #9   6/6/09 6:49:42AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
That lawsuit is going to go south real quick if Rampage testifies that everything Tito said is true.

Talk about ruining your reputation. Rampage has been fairly quiet on the break-up giving only vague statements about money.

He makes one call to Juanito telling him he's going to tell all at the hearing and Juanito will drop the suit in a NY minute.

Post #10   6/6/09 9:02:27AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
juanito looks money hungry

Post #11   6/6/09 10:13:27AM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
Ibarra is terrible.
Hope I do not get sued now

Post #12   6/6/09 10:33:04AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Juanito is ridiculous. Its funny how this is the first thing ive heard about the guy in like a year!!!!!

Post #13   6/6/09 10:36:10AM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
This is crazy.lol

Post #14   6/6/09 11:04:15AM   

John_Jobber

MMA Regular

John_Jobber Avatar

Career:430-261
Chips:
Ibarra is not a public figure. He is a businessman. Tito's needs to save his trash talking for his fights. Tito had to know what he was saying would be reproduced a million times on the internet, and this would eventually take away from Ibarra's income.

Not saying that dude is a quality trainer or not (I've never trained with him), but no matter how Tito feels about him, Ibarra has a right to feed his kids and not be (financially) jeopardized by Tito's obscenely giant mouth.

Post #15   6/6/09 12:39:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2