Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson Says Money is the Reason He Ducked Lyoto Machida to Coach TUF Against Rashad Evans

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:
i laugh at people saying that so and so does it for the love not for money. everytime someone is used in that example they are already loaded. everyone has money as an issue here, whats wrong with rampage taking more money for tuf then title fight?

about him not having enough money now and its his own fault? he said kids college funds (has alot and young too) and other examples. its not about how much he has now, he is using his head and looking towards the future and trying to get as much now as he can while he can. its easy to be an backseat driver and complain here but if you had a choice and it was more money or less money what would you do?

Post #16   6/5/09 6:43:37PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
rampage is all about the money another tito in the making
but i would rather take my title shot now if he loses against evans he won't get it

Post #17   6/5/09 7:27:19PM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:
Since Rampage feels that he will beat Rashad, let's look at it like this.

Route A:

Rampage fights Lyoto, makes one fights worth of money.
May or may not be champ, and if he does lose, hes back at bottom immediately.

Route B:

Rampage hosts TUF, gets paid for the initial job.
Rampage also gets an extra bonus for hosting instead of the taking the title shot.
Rampage gains more fans by hosting.
Rampage hypes up a huge bad blood fight between two former champions
Rampage makes crazy dinero from the Rashad fight.
If he wins, he then gets even more money when he fights Lyoto.

I say doing the TUF probably made him 5x more cash, and in his mind he'll end up fighting Lyoto eventually anyway.

I say TUF was the right pick.

Post #18   6/5/09 8:27:38PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,641-896
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Fighting isnt about money. Machida would fight for a title, even if he was offered a large amount of money. Machida is all about proving he's the best. Not how much his wage or paycheck is...

Do you think Machida would be fighting in the UFC if there was no money in doing it? If he was offered more money and sponsorship by a different organization, would he jump to the other organization? Fighting is Jackson's job, and I don't know many people who work that don't want a promotion or raise. The title is usually the best avenue to getting paid exorbitant amounts of money for the small window of time athletes have before their skills start declining, but in this case, Jackson finds coaching TUF and fighting Evans more lucrative than fighting Machida in a make-or-break fight.

Post #19   6/5/09 8:48:21PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,441-1,325
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Makes perfect sense to me. Lyoto just recently became marketable in the States. Up until his last two fights, he was decisioning David Heath and Sam Hoger. Now Rampage will take his time and make more $$$ in the long run.

Money over time > *

Post #20   6/5/09 8:54:37PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Rampage is playing it right. It's all bout da chedda. He's gonna fight Machida. He'll make a botload more money coaching. The sponser deals will roll in. He's gonna fight Machida. He's thinking longterm. well after his fighting career is over.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #21   6/5/09 9:35:46PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gabe531

i laugh at people saying that so and so does it for the love not for money. everytime someone is used in that example they are already loaded. everyone has money as an issue here, whats wrong with rampage taking more money for tuf then title fight?

about him not having enough money now and its his own fault? he said kids college funds (has alot and young too) and other examples. its not about how much he has now, he is using his head and looking towards the future and trying to get as much now as he can while he can. its easy to be an backseat driver and complain here but if you had a choice and it was more money or less money what would you do?

If a garbageman made $500,000 a year, do you know how many garbagemen there would be? It's all about da chedda. It makes it all that much better when you get paid doing something you love to do

Last edited 6/5/09 9:38PM server time by zephead
Edit note/reason: n/a

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #22   6/5/09 9:38:05PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
I dont care what anyone says, from a credability of the belts standpoint this was the wrong move for the UFC, I count care less about TUF or its signficance to the UFC, so no lectures are needed thank you. This move was all about him and I cant help but lose respect for the guy even though hes a favorite of mine. Now Shogun gets a fight he dosnt deserve yet, a fight that shouldve been built up as the greatest light heavyweight fight ever.

Good for you, you get more money, you still arnt gonna win "your" belt back, no matter how much you wanna beat Rashad coach Kimbo or bang asian chicks. Shogun has the best shot of beating Machida and hes fighting him right away on the first title defense, this tells me some things about Rampage, hes buying time (probably to fight Rashad because he ducked him) and that he just isnt ready for Machida yet, which is pretty much evident at this point quite bluntly, its not hard to read between the lines.

I hate to say this but I hope Shogun gets the flu or something minor and cant fight, it would make Rampage look stupid for a move that is not helping the belts legitimacy, as if there is any anymore in the UFC these days. Everyones pretty excited about all this stuff but I cant help but be disappointed at the choices zuffa and some of the fighters make when it comes to belts.

Last edited 6/5/09 11:41PM server time by EvenFlow
Edit note/reason: i do what i want, ya dig?

Post #23   6/5/09 11:34:10PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

I dont care what anyone says, from a credability of the belts standpoint this was the wrong move for the UFC, I count care less about TUF or its signficance to the UFC, so no lectures are needed thank you. This move was all about him and I cant help but lose respect for the guy even though hes a favorite of mine. Now Shogun gets a fight he dosnt deserve yet, a fight that shouldve been built up as the greatest light heavyweight fight ever.

Good for you, you get more money, you still arnt gonna win "your" belt back, no matter how much you wanna beat Rashad coach Kimbo or bang asian chicks. Shogun has the best shot of beating Machida and hes fighting him right away on the first title defense, this tells me some things about Rampage, hes buying time (probably to fight Rashad because he ducked him) and that he just isnt ready for Machida yet, which is pretty much evident at this point quite bluntly, its not hard to read between the lines.

I hate to say this but I hope Shogun gets the flu or something minor and cant fight, it would make Rampage look stupid for a move that is not helping the belts legitimacy, as if there is any anymore in the UFC these days. Everyones pretty excited about all this stuff but I cant help but be disappointed at the choices zuffa and some of the fighters make when it comes to belts.

So lectures aren't needed from us, but your gonna go ahead a give a lecture.? OK. You want to see him fight MAchida, Rampage has a future to think about. While your still watching the UFC when your 50, Rampage will be long retired, then what?

Post #24   6/5/09 11:48:05PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Posted by EvenFlow

So lectures aren't needed from us, but your gonna go ahead a give a lecture.? OK. You want to see him fight MAchida, Rampage has a future to think about. While your still watching the UFC when your 50, Rampage will be long retired, then what?

Help me understand what you dont get, Shogun is not worthy yet, I was pretty clear of that, the only thing I didnt want a lecture on was the TUF shpeal, and I wasnt giving a lecture its just an opinion, take it however you want pal

Post #25   6/6/09 12:08:10AM   

whhh88

Learning to Sprawl

Career:97-88
Chips:
It's all about marketing and while Machida just scored a major knockout over Rashad Evans, the UFC won't know the extend of how marketable Machida is now until they line up his first title defense. Anderson Silva came into the UFC knocking blocks off (Leben/Franklin) and still never achieved huge PPV success.

On the other hand, what people have already broken down is correct, and coaching TUF nets Rampage a boatload more money then one fight vs. Machida which he could possibly lose, which would then probably drop his stock a bit in terms of sponsorship deals.

Post #26   6/6/09 12:16:53AM   

cDUBB

Learning to Sprawl

Career:517-344
Chips:
i doubt he's SCARED of Machida...Machida KO'd a Thiago Silva who never beat anyone real and a Rashad Evans who most people thought was overrated anyway (and who by the way KO'd Chuck which isn't saying much anymore, and Forrest Griffin who was/is as overrated as Rashad).

Rampage says and does funny stuff all the time, so while fighting Machida next would be a chance at the belt, maybe he wanted to get paid and have some fun talking s**t to Rashad for 6 weeks and coaching Kimbo, and if he loses to Rashad, he doesn't deserve to be the champion anyway, or if he beats him, then he fights Machida anyway. It's not like a Tito ducking Chuck back in the day thing.

Post #27   6/6/09 3:47:58AM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
You only have so many years to make real money in this business. Rampage is being smart about it.

Post #28   6/6/09 10:09:42AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Pretty much common sense. Anyone who dont believe him or thinks he is scared if just being a Machida fan boy. Rampage gets 6 figures and a PPV % no matter who he fights, Machida or Evans. But being on TUF gets him paid for being a coach and the extra popularity/visibility will give him a chance to make even more money down the road per fight not to mention the endorsements he gets by being on the show and the extra merch he sales. Choose to go back on TUF is making him a ton more money than fighting Machida now. He can fight Machida later.

I dont think he beats Machida or Evans but he has a better chance vs Machida. ALso its dumb to think he is scared of Machida when he was killed by Silva 2 times and was jumping right back in line to fight him again. Its really stupid to think any fighters now day are scared of anyone. Especially at this level.

Post #29   6/6/09 10:46:13AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Rampage has always been about the money.
Just like his old PRIDE theme song.
I love that song!

Rampage you don't wanna mess with me
One shot buckle your knees
I'm it it for the money

Post #30   6/6/09 11:01:11AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3