Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko Wants One Fight Deal With UFC

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Sounds good with one stipulation.

One fight contract if he loses.

4 minimum if he wins.

now that sounds like the UFC

Post #16   6/5/09 5:01:43PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

It sucks that the UFC and the greatest mixed martial artist in history will probably never come to an agreement.

Post #17   6/5/09 5:26:28PM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:

Posted by Hendo67

Posted by ncordless

It sucks that the UFC and the greatest mixed martial artist in history will probably never come to an agreement.

I agree with this, it sucks that they will never come to an agreement. I would like to see Fedor come into the UFC and take on some of the elite in the heavyweight division.

Post #18   6/5/09 5:34:22PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

He should let it happen, sure it's a risk but there's also a nice payoff

I don't see it. I'm not sure Fedor has the name recognition to make a single appearance terribly lucrative. I think Affliction events have drawn about 1/5th the pay-per-view buys of UFC events. Some of that is due to the organizations in question and not the fighters. A UFC event featuring Fedor would surely get many more buys than an Affliction event featuring Fedor, but I don't think it would get more than a UFC event featuring any of their other stars. The people who would watch a UFC event to see Fedor probably already watch UFC events. I think if the UFC wanted to make something out of a relationship with Fedor, it would be a multi-fight process, like they did with Rampage and Big Nog, and like they tried to do with Cro Cop.

Post #19   6/5/09 6:22:22PM   

three_days_of_grey

MMA Regular

three_days_of_grey Avatar

Career:902-534
Chips:
Questions.
Is this, coupled with the earlier thread about M-1 wanting everyone to know they're willing to co-promote with any organization, indicative of Affliction's future? Beyond the Barnett fight, is there a worthy adversary within Affliction or another org. with an open contract to fight Fedor?
Is there really enough room in the PPV market for more than 1 major player? For me, even the UFC is scheduling events too closely and I had to make the choice between UFC 99 or 100. Really a no-brainer, but I can't rationalize $100 in PPV in the same billing cycle for 98 and 99. Then in August, choice between UFC 101 and Aff 3 and the 101 card looks really solid.
I think Affliction's future lies within the empty recesses of my wallet. What is saving Strikeforce is thier business model of live-event and TV coverage. If they were to throw their hat into the PPV ring, it would be a nightmare for fighters as organizations fight for scraps.

-OUT-

Post #20   6/5/09 6:36:53PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Normally I'd be all for something like this, but we're forgetting the HW fighters in the UFC who would feel ripped. We already have people all over the boards arguing for who deserves a shot at the HW belt next. Let's put it on hold for a 1 fight deal against a guy who is going to bail from the organization win or lose. That's some serious disrespect to Cain, Carwin, Kongo, and the numerous other HW's climbing the ranks.

This is all just words from M-1. It makes perfect sense for them to say it, but it just doesn't make business sense from the UFC's standpoint to go along with it. The only way it would is if there was some kind of Anderson Silva situation at HW in the UFC. There isn't, though. So, until a HW runs through every competitor out there we won't see it.

That is, unless Dana feels willing to back his words that Fedor isn't the best fighter in the world. Which of course he doesn't.

Last edited 6/5/09 6:53PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   6/5/09 6:52:41PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
it shouldn't happen one it will tie up division for at least another 9 months plus
non title match have fedor face randy couture

plus i do think that one fight might turn into many more in ufc
but it would be nice if fedor did fight once in ufc

Post #22   6/5/09 7:30:33PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,700-926
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There's no negotiation here; it's just two sides that want to define the terms, and there's no middle ground. The reason White wants Emelianenko (to keep) is because the addition of the undisputed king of the heavyweights would lure a lot of other fighters floating around outside the UFC to the UFC. A one-fight deal is pointlessly bad business for the UFC, so I really can't fault him.

I think Emelianenko's career will start winding down once Affliction goes bankrupt, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a deal materalize when he's motioning for retirement from MMA.

Post #23   6/5/09 8:34:37PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,595-1,399
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Won't happen, keep dreaming.

Post #24   6/5/09 9:00:15PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
I actually think this could happen. Dana could give fedor a one fight contract but it would have the normal championship clause in it. So if fedor wins he is in the UFC until he loses or retires and if Fedor loses then Dana can say he is overrated.

Post #25   6/5/09 9:42:31PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
How 'bout a non-title fight? He could fight the Champ without the belt on the line, avoiding the Championship clause.

I doubt it will happen though

Post #26   6/5/09 11:39:33PM   

John_Jobber

MMA Regular

John_Jobber Avatar

Career:430-261
Chips:
Not happening, Dana has been ducking Fedor since he was wearing diapers.

Fedor fighting in the UFC would show all the world what UFC really is: a big commercial hype machine complete with pushing chosen TV stars undeservedly up the ranks while firing higher quality but less marketable fighters.

Post #27   6/6/09 12:51:01PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
It's a good call by M-1. They risk little by making the offer. Especially since they figure it will be rejected. Free publicity. Now if they could just get Sasha Baron Cohen to land his bare behind on Fedor at an award's show they'd get crazy play in the media...

Post #28   6/6/09 7:28:23PM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I really have no idea why people still want to see Fedor vs couture?? Randy is too old and i dont think will make it out of the first 2 minutes. mir lesnar GG Kongo aa again and barnett all would be a better fight IMO.

Post #29   6/6/09 7:48:42PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Normally I'd be all for something like this, but we're forgetting the HW fighters in the UFC who would feel ripped. We already have people all over the boards arguing for who deserves a shot at the HW belt next. Let's put it on hold for a 1 fight deal against a guy who is going to bail from the organization win or lose. That's some serious disrespect to Cain, Carwin, Kongo, and the numerous other HW's climbing the ranks.

This is all just words from M-1. It makes perfect sense for them to say it, but it just doesn't make business sense from the UFC's standpoint to go along with it. The only way it would is if there was some kind of Anderson Silva situation at HW in the UFC. There isn't, though. So, until a HW runs through every competitor out there we won't see it.

That is, unless Dana feels willing to back his words that Fedor isn't the best fighter in the world. Which of course he doesn't.

I usually agree with you, but this time I do not. Normally I agree that there has to be some kind of moving up process through a UFC division before a title shot, but Fedor would have to be the exception. It might be debatable if Fedor is p4p #1, but it is a a stone cold fact that he is the #1 HW in the world right now and has been for years. Cain, Carwin, Kongo, and anyone else would be absolutely foolish to feel disrespected by Fedor getting a shot ahead of them. None of them has done anything remotely close to what Fedor has done in his career. Cain only has five wins in whole career. Carwin's biggest win is Gonzaga. Kongo lost to Heath Herring pretty recently. None of them deserves to fight for the title like Fedor deserves it. In fact, the UFC HW title would be almost meaningless if Fedor was in the UFC and somebody else held the title without defending it against Fedor.

At least now the UFC HW title means the best HW in the UFC. It puts the likes of Mir and Lesnar in the conversation with people like Barnett and the Monster that used to be Alistair Overeem about who is the best HW besides Fedor.

Last edited 6/6/09 8:42PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   6/6/09 8:37:37PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3