Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matt Serra still disagrees with UFC 98 decision loss, currently unsure of next move

Print  
Who do you think won the fight?
Matt Hughes 39 61%
Matt Serra 25 39%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
I didnt get to watch the entire fight because I got kind of bored and left it, but I know I wanted Serra to win and I really hope he stays fighting.

Post #16   6/5/09 11:15:23AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:518-379
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I've got to be honest, I'm probably biased because I'm actually a big Hughes fan, and not so much a Serra fan. I felt like it's the never ending question of what if....everything goes back to "What if there was no clash of heads in the first?" Then perhaps Hughes would have done better, or maybe he would have stood and traded and gotten dropped. I personally thought Hughes won the fight and did a good job recovering after the clash of heads, but I also thought just move for move it was the most boring fight of the night largley because of Hughe's "octagon control." I think he got hurt in the first round and damn near may have had a concussion and the rest of the fight was just werstling mode. I was personally excited because I'm a Hughes fan, but I was disappointed in the fight overall. I think that if Serra was fighting guys his size at 155 as was mentioned earlier in the post that he would be able to move better on the ground and not just get manhandled. I like Serra at 155, but who knows where he will go from here.

Post #17   6/5/09 11:33:39AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,646-884
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I scored it 29-28 Hughes and so did 3 other judges...

It is what it is

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #18   6/5/09 11:45:36AM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I like Serra about 10x as much as i like Hughes, I do think Serra won that decision. Hughes is a carpet.

Post #19   6/5/09 11:49:50AM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,349-1,244
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
The matt serra and matt hughes fight was a close fight which either guy could of got his hand raised and for the ppl that say matt hughes won every rd and think the headbutt was the only damage serra did in the 1st rd may want to actually watch the fight.Matt hughes comments after the first rd were did he drop me lol

Post #20   6/5/09 1:06:36PM   

Leland

Standup Guy

Leland Avatar

Career:92-44
Camp: Polk Fight Club
Chips:
29-28 Hughes.

Hughes was rocked, either by the headbutt or the follow up punch, but 2 back to back like that, Serra should have ended it. He did not, and weak Hughes held on and grinded it out. I dont like either fighter, and I judged it Hughes winning, even though it was a snore fest.

Hughes needs to retire, I am tired of his lame ground game. He hasn't evolved at all. He is the same guy he was years ago. Serra however did quite good on the ground avoiding any damage, I was pretty impressed with that. I agree with everyone else, drop to LW. your like 4 foot 9 dude!!!! Serra could throw some mean punches at 155

Last edited 6/5/09 1:16PM server time by leland
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   6/5/09 1:14:29PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
i felt Serra won, he was more active and wanted to finish the fight....Hughes just wanted to lay on top and hug Serra for 3 rounds.

Post #22   6/5/09 3:37:14PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Aaronno9

I thought Hughes won every round, stand up and on the ground. Only thing I really scored for Serra was his follow up to the headbutt, and considering he couldnt even finish Hughes, who had no idea where he was/what was happening, I dont really think you can score that to highly.

I agree.

Me too! You basically just destroyed any argument for Serra's case right there!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #23   6/5/09 4:07:55PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
I scored it a 29-29 draw.I scored the first round a 10-10 draw,the second round 10-9 Hughes,the third round 10-9 Serra.

I don't think Serra has much to complain about-a 29/28 decision that could have gone either way.It's not like Hughes won 30/26 on every scorecard or anything.Serra can just consider it a rebalancing of his record,after that joke of a decision he won against Chris Lytle.

FWIW,the reason Serra didn't go apesh*t on Hughes when he had him rocked is due to his fight several years ago with Karo Parisyan.He crushed Karo with a huge punch,then swarmed on him for the finish.Somehow Karo survived and Matt was so gassed from going balls out for the finish,that he's never pounced on someone when he's had them hurt again-even when he hurt GSP,he was very restrained until he knocked him down for the last time and mounted him.

What Serra needs to learn though,is that there are certain guys that are easier to finish than others.Just because you couldn't finish off an in-his-prime Karo doesn't mean you can't finish off a weathered Matt Hughes that you just put on queer street.

WB.

Post #24   6/5/09 4:29:29PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I don't really like either guy, the first round didnt have much and if the judges did see the headbutt and the shot to the back of the head (inadvertant both of them) then ti should have been discrditted so the only real action was hughes taking serras back n getting the takedown, so I think hughes won the first round, amnd as for the 3rd round they both didnt do much on the round, but watch it again hughes lands the 3 most significant shots on the feet in that round I had it 30-27. I do personally think serra has a case for this and i can understand y he thinks he could have won the fight, but if he didn than hughes would have just as much of a reason to complain. too bad this wasnt the 5 rounder it was originally scheduled to be

Post #25   6/5/09 8:35:54PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2