Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matt Serra still disagrees with UFC 98 decision loss, currently unsure of next move

Print  
Who do you think won the fight?
Matt Hughes 39 61%
Matt Serra 25 39%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
Serra: "But personally, I thought I won the first and third rounds. That's just how I feel about it."

linky link

Post #1   6/5/09 2:54:39AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
I agree with him, I thought that though Huges controlled most of the third he did nothing with it, Serra did more when he got the fight to the ground with that 'money takedown' but what they hey it wasn't dominant in any way so nevermind

It's a shame he finds the cut to 155 so hard, he'd be more of a force down there with guys his own size.

Post #2   6/5/09 4:24:17AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,463-760
Chips:
Serra made more effort to finish but Hughes sucsessfuly held him down and stalled for some of the fight and unfortunately that gets you more point in the UFC

Post #3   6/5/09 4:42:46AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Yeah, i felt Serra did more during the entire fight than Hughes did at all period. But this is not how UFC scores rounds, even Hughes seemed like he didn't think he won right after the fight ended. That is the way the cookie crumbles, i hope Serra doesn't retire but drops to LW where size won't be such a disadvantage to him. Hughes i could care less whether he retires or not, he hasn't evolved or at least shown the ability to adapt to the new blood of the the mma game. If he continues down this path he won't be able to hold everyone down for three round and will get KO'd fairly squarely once matched up with a solid striker.

Post #4   6/5/09 8:26:09AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

After rocking Hughes early in the fight, the first round was undeniably Serra's.

Did I miss something? I don't remember Hughes getting "rocked" in the 1st. I remember them butting heads accidentally but I remember no rocking.

Post #5   6/5/09 9:04:03AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

After rocking Hughes early in the fight, the first round was undeniably Serra's.

Did I miss something? I don't remember Hughes getting "rocked" in the 1st. I remember them butting heads accidentally but I remember no rocking.

surely that's when he rocked him

They clashed head serra threw a right caught him glancingly and Hughes was on queer street

You can dispute the legality of the contact but not the rocking, Hughes didn't even know he was floored

Last edited 6/5/09 9:10AM server time by dangerfield
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   6/5/09 9:08:53AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by dangerfield

Posted by emfleek

They clashed head serra threw a right caught him glancingly and Hughes was on queer street

You can dispute the legality of the contact but not the rocking, Hughes didn't even know he was floored

I'm not disputing the fact that Hughes was dazed momentarily. I'm disputing the fact that something Serra did caused it. It was an inadvertant rocking, so to speak.

By the way...best avatar ever.

Last edited 6/5/09 9:20AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   6/5/09 9:20:32AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,656-1,459
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I personally think that it was a close fight and im betting the judges had a hard time with this one!!!!

Post #8   6/5/09 9:39:35AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by dangerfield

Posted by emfleek

I'm not disputing the fact that Hughes was dazed momentarily. I'm disputing the fact that something Serra did caused it. It was an inadvertant rocking, so to speak.

By the way...best avatar ever.

Ah i getcha now!

Oh and cheers

Post #9   6/5/09 9:43:50AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I thought Hughes won every round, stand up and on the ground. Only thing I really scored for Serra was his follow up to the headbutt, and considering he couldnt even finish Hughes, who had no idea where he was/what was happening, I dont really think you can score that to highly.

Post #10   6/5/09 9:54:15AM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

I thought Hughes won every round, stand up and on the ground. Only thing I really scored for Serra was his follow up to the headbutt, and considering he couldnt even finish Hughes, who had no idea where he was/what was happening, I dont really think you can score that to highly.

I agree.

Post #11   6/5/09 10:06:07AM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
i dislike serra so much that i can't give an objective analysis of hte fight, obviously i thought hughes won and the most effective offense serra mounted was mean mugging hughes and yelling come on, guys a joke.

Post #12   6/5/09 10:17:50AM   

MMAMoneyLine

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I like Serra, but he has to start finishing people off. All the credit in the world for the St. Pierre KO, but I think he'd be better served KOing and subbing lightweights.

Post #13   6/5/09 10:38:11AM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
Matt Huges controlled Serra, most of the time in the 2nd ,and third, Serra was wanting a stand up war, hughes just wanted the win.

Post #14   6/5/09 10:53:35AM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Even after Hughes was all but KOed by the headbutt. Serra still couldnt do anything to him. I highly doubt getting knocked out by a headbutt made Hughes better or had no effect. Hughes was hurt so bad he legs were rubber and he was pulling guard to survive. Yet he was still the better fighter. Serra needs to quit bitching about the decision. If it was Hughes who knocked Serra out with a head but and got an unfair advantage early. Then he would have raped Serra and pounded him out inside the distance.

Post #15   6/5/09 10:58:08AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2