Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Explain why Stevenson over Guillard!

Print  
Posted By Message

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I just don't get this one. Why does anyone think Stevenson can beat Guillard? What's so impressive about him?

Post #1   4/3/07 10:12:38AM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
How about you explain why Guillard over Stevenson then?

Guillard has beaten nobody worth mentioning...ever. Ruediger is decent but I mean name a quality opponent Guillard has fought and beat. Does being a physical specimen and knocking out same no namers make you a good fighter? Not in my opinion.

At least Stevenson has beaten a couple of established guys, albeit not really top guys in Mishima and Edwards.

That's my 2 cents and my prediction engine said Stevenson would win so I have to pick him anyways!

Post #2   4/3/07 10:26:30AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mmadb

How about you explain why Guillard over Stevenson then?
At least Stevenson has beaten a couple of established guys, albeit not really top guys in Mishima and Edwards.

That's my 2 cents and my prediction engine said Stevenson would win so I have to pick him anyways!

You're absolutely right...their records are similar and the level of opponents has been (somewhat) similar...I'm mostly reacting to the current pick percentages which currently are at 65% Stevenson and 35% for Guillard. I just don't get that, I'd expect more of a 50/50 split. I'm only going on the fights I've watched where I'd give Guillard the advantage because he seems to come on so fast and furious and I think he'll just be too much for J.S.

...I checked out mmadb.com...I love the idea of a prediction engine...good luck with it.

Post #3   4/3/07 11:07:45AM   

mmadb

MMADB.com

mmadb Avatar

Career:625-342
Chips:
Sweet, I was expecting some kind of irrational response and thankfully was wrong.

As for your point about the ratio, I would have guessed it may have been a little closer to 50/50 myself but 65/35 didn't seem too far fetched from the start to me.

Thanks for the feedback on the site, it works decent enough. I'm currently testing it out with real money and a system. I've always been fascinated with statistics and predictions so it gives me something to do when I'm supposed to be working.

Post #4   4/3/07 12:18:41PM   

troy_steel

Learning to Sprawl

troy_steel Avatar

Career:83-60
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Let's see...Guillard is so aggressive that he gets caught in submissions. Stevenson is a monster on the ground and has a large toolbox of submissions. You do the math. Guillard's only chance is to keep it standing and so far in his career he hasn't demonstrated that he can do that despite his excellent wrestling.

Post #5   4/3/07 1:43:12PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Chips:

Posted by troy_steel

Let's see...Guillard is so aggressive that he gets caught in submissions. Stevenson is a monster on the ground and has a large toolbox of submissions. You do the math. Guillard's only chance is to keep it standing and so far in his career he hasn't demonstrated that he can do that despite his excellent wrestling.

A fair prediction but I think you're wrong that Stevenson will catch him on the ground - I think Guillard is too strong for that and after the first couple of minutes he'll be too slippery. If he doesn't beat J.S. standing, he'll GnP him.

Post #6   4/4/07 11:53:47AM   

Bosco

Learning to Sprawl

Bosco Avatar

Career:1,031-527
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
scoozna I hear what you are saying I thought it was a tough call as well but I did go with Joe.

Hey man for fun want to bet me $100 I take Joe you take Melvin?

Post #7   4/5/07 12:57:14PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bosco

scoozna I hear what you are saying I thought it was a tough call as well but I did go with Joe.

Hey man for fun want to bet me $100 I take Joe you take Melvin?

$100 on a tough call!!? You have more guts than me...I'll have to pass.

Post #8   4/5/07 4:00:20PM   

Bosco

Learning to Sprawl

Bosco Avatar

Career:1,031-527
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:
You made the right choice :)

Post #9   4/6/07 12:28:09AM   

Ydoc

Belt Contender

Ydoc Avatar

Career:1,371-849
Camp: Camp David
Chips:
This guy reminds me of Melvin, lots of talk (saying Joe had no chance) but little action (not taking Bosco's bet).

Post #10   4/6/07 1:08:59AM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Last edited 4/6/07 1:36AM server time by bigkat
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   4/6/07 1:35:42AM   

BIGKAT

Banned

Career:267-177
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

Posted by troy_steel

A fair prediction but I think you're wrong that Stevenson will catch him on the ground - I think Guillard is too strong for that and after the first couple of minutes he'll be too slippery. If he doesn't beat J.S. standing, he'll GnP him.

Really?

Post #12   4/6/07 1:36:56AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Chips:
Well I'm eating it today! It's a good thing it's fake money...

First take down and whammo.

I gotta give it to JS - he got it done. Right afterwards he gives a pep talk. Then in his interview he says that it could have just as easily gone the other way (not sure if he believes that but at least he said it). As much as I like all the trash talking before the fight, it's good to see gamesmanship after.

Last edited 4/6/07 9:22AM server time by scoozna
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   4/6/07 8:57:36AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by scoozna

As much as I like all the trash talking before the fight, it's good to see gamesmanship after.

Heh. I think you mean "sportsmanship."

Post #14   4/6/07 9:28:39AM   

troy_steel

Learning to Sprawl

troy_steel Avatar

Career:83-60
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Damn, I came on here to be all cocky (like Melvin), but after reading your classy responses I've decided to take the higher road (like Stevenson). Life imitating sports I guess.

Post #15   4/6/07 9:35:58AM