Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kimbo Slice to the UFC... via TUF!

Print  
  Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Arlovski_Tko

Learning to Sprawl

Arlovski_Tko Avatar

Career:886-524
Camp: Ask the High Kid
Chips:
Haha, well atleast he's starting with TUF

Post #46   6/2/09 2:43:46PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,526-889
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
i'm not a big fan of this.
I got respect for Kimbo for stepping up,but I don't know.
I can't say were their yet,but when stuff like this happens I believe it's a forerunner for what we'll see in the UFC's future.
It slowly becomes less and less about who the best fighter is,and becomes more about who the best draw is.
If that person has a limited skill set,so be it.
Throw a few dollars in his opponents wallet to make him look good and everyone stays happy.
I've herd people mention it in smaller promotions,and I think it may just be a matter of time before we see it in the UFC.

Now, I do believe their is another side to this though.
Hell,what I said above may sound harsh and a bit over the top,but it seems like more people excuse things the UFC has started doing that other promotions would catch hell for.

The other side to this.
When your trying to run a sucssesul business in this type of enviroment,sadly, it's not always about being the best.

Some times you just gotta have the look and the attitude.
Just look at pro-wrestling.
Guys like Hulk Hogan,the Rock,etc are in no way shape or form the best wrestlers out their,but they are the best entertainers with a wrestling skill set.

But it's not like Kimbo is getting a title shot or anything.
I just can't help but wonder if this will be a sign of things to come.

Post #47   6/2/09 3:02:30PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I can't say were their yet,but when stuff like this happens I believe it's a forerunner for what we'll see in the UFC's future.
It slowly becomes less and less about who the best fighter is,and becomes more about who the best draw is.
Throw a few dollars in his opponents wallet to make him look good and everyone stays happy.
I've herd people mention it in smaller promotions,and I think it may just be a matter of time before we see it in the UFC.

Hell,what I said above may sound harsh and a bit over the top,but it seems like more people excuse things the UFC has started doing that other promotions would catch hell for.

The other side to this.
When your trying to run a sucssesul business in this type of enviroment,sadly, it's not always about being the best.

Guys like Hulk Hogan,the Rock,etc are in no way shape or form the best wrestlers out their,but they are the best entertainers with a wrestling skill set.

IN the UFC look and attitude will get you better fights and title shots faster but the UFC is less about production and hype than professional wrestling. A some instances a highlight reel will sell more tickets than a big talker.

The UFC has been built on as real as it gets and away from sideshow fights and heck if you wanted big talkers and name recognition dana and the fertitas would never have let, Frank and Ken Shamrock and Tito go.

The shift you are talking about is a monumental foundational shift which would make no sense considering the UFC is doing well in a down economy.

I know a lot of you guys thinks Dana is stupid but making pros and the best of the best and anti boxing practices have been his MO since he started and he not a guy that is going to say he was wrong and do a 180........ever.

Post #48   6/2/09 3:12:23PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I think this is a good move by Dana. This is going to be a big draw for the UFC. Win or lose people are going to be tuning in to see how Kimbo will do. I just hope the didn't cast a whole bunch of nobody crappy fighters just so Kimbo go run through them.

I'm really wondering who is going to pick him Rashad or Quinton and is he going to be the #1 pick?

Post #49   6/2/09 3:18:27PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

The other side to this.

IN the UFC look and attitude will get you better fights and title shots faster but the UFC is less about production and hype than professional wrestling. A some instances a highlight reel will sell more tickets than a big talker.

The UFC has been built on as real as it gets and away from sideshow fights and heck if you wanted big talkers and name recognition dana and the fertitas would never have let, Frank and Ken Shamrock and Tito go.

The shift you are talking about is a monumental foundational shift which would make no sense considering the UFC is doing well in a down economy.

I know a lot of you guys thinks Dana is stupid but making pros and the best of the best and anti boxing practices have been his MO since he started and he not a guy that is going to say he was wrong and do a 180........ever.

Well I never said Dana was stupid.
I just think that we may see more slight changes in the coming years that would potentialy put other promotions under hot water, but would be excused under the UFC flag.
As I've mentioned before,had a guy like Brock Lesnar never entered the UFC and was say in Affliction or Strikeforce,I wouldn't doubt that half the people that consider him legit now,would say he was just a cut above your average freak show fighter.
God only knows if he was in an organization like Affliction,and lets say fought and beat a guy like Fedor,I would say a good majority of the people would be quick to criticize how someone as green as Brock got to fight Fedor with so few fights under his belt.
Put the same situation under the UFC and it's about the "business" side of matters.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Brock, I just can't help but wonder how he would be percieved had he never entered the UFC and went with another company.
I don't think it would be a monumental shift as in it's going to happen tommorow and bite is all from behind.
It would be smaller,little things that would equal a greater sum in the long run.

The UFC is the number one MMA promotion on the planet,and rightfully so.
The UFC is doing well in a slow economy, but just like any other major sport,it will gain public popularity for a while and at sometime will settle down and keep a hardcore base that will keep it going.
Every sport is always looking for that star that will keep it in the public spotlight.
I think the major question I ask myself is; how far are they willing to go to keep the casual fan interested and will it be at the cost of keeping some of the best fights in the sport from happening?

I certainly don't think that is the case now,and I hope it won't be in the future,but I think it is a question that no matter how troubling it may seem,every fan should ask themselves.

Last edited 6/2/09 4:27PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #50   6/2/09 4:24:29PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

The other side to this.

I just think that we may see more slight changes in the coming years that would potentialy put other promotions under hot water, but would be excused under the UFC flag.
As I've mentioned before,had a guy like Brock Lesnar never entered the UFC and was say in Affliction or Strikeforce,I wouldn't doubt that half the people that consider him legit now,would say he was just a cut above your average freak show fighter.
God only knows if he was in an organization like Affliction,and lets say fought and beat a guy like Fedor,I would say a good majority of the people would be quick to criticize how someone as green as Brock got to fight Fedor with so few fights under his belt.
Put the same situation under the UFC and it's about the "business" side of matters.
I'm not trying to take anything away from Brock, I just can't help but wonder how he would be percieved had he never entered the UFC and went with another company.

The UFC is doing well in a slow economy, but just like any other major sport,it will gain public popularity for a while and at sometime will settle down and keep a hardcore base that will keep it going.
Every sport is always looking for that star that will keep it in the public spotlight.
I think the major question I ask myself is; how far are they willing to go to keep the casual fan interested and will it be at the cost of keeping some of the best fights in the sport from happening?

I certainly don't think that is the case now,and I hope it won't be in the future,but I think it is a question that no matter how troubling it may seem,every fan should ask themselves.

but the UFC did not sheild Brock from competition and act like he was the best before he beat Herring, Couture and came close against Mir, little different than Kimbo, I do not think that people should mention Lesner in the same sentence as Fedor but if Fedor is not willing to give up the UFC building him an Arena in Russia then he is irrelevant to the UFC and its events and if a one sided Lesner beats Mir he is the champion on performance not hype alone.

Post #51   6/2/09 4:30:34PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

The other side to this.

but the UFC did not sheild Brock from competition and act like he was the best before he beat Herring, Couture and came close against Mir, little different than Kimbo, I do not think that people should mention Lesner in the same sentence as Fedor but if Fedor is not willing to give up the UFC building him an Arena in Russia then he is irrelevant to the UFC and its events and if a one sided Lesner beats Mir he is the champion on performance not hype alone.

I don't disagree with you on any of that (though I wonder how true the russian stadium thing is),However if Brock had beaten the same calibur of competition outside of the UFC,would he still get the praise he gets now?
I think the answer would be no.

Last edited 6/2/09 4:49PM server time by mrsmiley

Post #52   6/2/09 4:48:23PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

The other side to this.

I don't disagree with you on any of that (though I wonder how true the russian stadium thing is),However if Brock had beaten the same calibur of competition outside of the UFC,would he still get the praise he gets now?

if it was randy, herring and he came close to beating the current HW champion I think he would have got the same praise. what is an example of someone not getting due praise when they are outside of the UFC? Fedor does, maybe Overeem, but he has lost a few, I would love it if he would make it to the UFC. You could make a case for some of the IFL guys like Nelson and Rothwell or Matusheko but they were all beating the same guys over and over again, Kimbo did not deserve any respect he was fighting has beens and never was's

Post #53   6/2/09 4:53:46PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

The other side to this.

if it was randy, herring and he came close to beating the current HW champion I think he would have got the same praise. what is an example of someone not getting due praise when they are outside of the UFC? Fedor does, maybe Overeem, but he has lost a few, I would love it if he would make it to the UFC. You could make a case for some of the IFL guys like Nelson and Rothwell or Matusheko but they were all beating the same guys over and over again, Kimbo did not deserve any respect he was fighting has beens and never was's

I think it's a half and half thing.
Some of the guys do get a decent amount of credit,but their are always opponents who bring up the fact that their not in the UFC.And they seem to be higher in number than those who give them praise.

I think their are a lot of fans who truley love the sport of MMA,but I believe their are plenty more who love the sport of "UFC".
Anything outside the UFC is crap or of lower talent. Not saying that this isn't the case 100% of the time (thank god Gary Shaw is out of the business)
I think a guy who would bring in hype like Brock would see a lot more critics if he was not in the UFC.
Look at Fedor.Even after beating Timmy and AA,he still catches quiet a bit of criticism.

Post #54   6/2/09 5:17:23PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by McBee

Posted by mrsmiley

The other side to this.

I think it's a half and half thing.
Some of the guys do get a decent amount of credit,but their are always opponents who bring up the fact that their not in the UFC.And they seem to be higher in number than those who give them praise.

I think their are a lot of fans who truley love the sport of MMA,but I believe their are plenty more who love the sport of "UFC".
Anything outside the UFC is crap or of lower talent. Not saying that this isn't the case 100% of the time (thank god Gary Shaw is out of the business)
I think a guy who would bring in hype like Brock would see a lot more critics if he was not in the UFC.
Look at Fedor.Even after beating Timmy and AA,he still catches quiet a bit of criticism.

yeah whoever gives Fedor crap should be bitchslapped

Last edited 6/2/09 5:22PM server time by mcbee

Post #55   6/2/09 5:22:07PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by ThePlague

Posted by lll-lll

Someone please dust off Sean Gannon and get him on the show. That would make for a great storyline. Sadly I worry that the UFC will gear the show for him to win. Like they did with the Brits this year by leaving good wrestlers off the show. I am very curious as to who the competition will be this year. BTW does anyone else think it would be funny if Kimbo got kicked off the show for fighting in the backyard. LOL I would love to see Dana give him the human cockfighting speech.

Do you actually think the UFC cares if the British team wins or not? Like Steve Cofield pointed out, it's a win-win for the UFC. If Kimbo loses, it proves Dana right and if he sticks around for a while it means bigger ratings. I've watched the sport for a long time and I don't think the UFC is in to rigging anything. If they did, there would be much better outcomes for them in a lot of fights.

You got to bé kidding. You think Dana can't control outcomes? He may not be able to control the exact outcome because flukes happen, but he sure can give a guy a very likely shot to win by putting in certain match ups. And yes he does care that the British win. The UFC has a limitless supply of US stars. They do not have that many stars in EnglaNd. Who is the biggest star over there from the UFC? TUF winner Bisping. They would love to have another English TUF winner. That is why there really are no quality wrestlers on tHe US side. Look at years past all the wrestlers every year. Kos, Rashad, Dollaway, Maynard, Taylor, Forbes, and even Diego was very good wrestlers. Those are just a few off the top of my head. There wasn't even one Ican recall out of 16 US entrants. That is no coincedence.

Post #56   6/3/09 1:51:46AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This thread had been ruined by getting turned into a quote-athon.

Why not just quote the relevant paragraph you are replying to...

Post #57   6/3/09 2:25:46AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,583-1,321
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Why not just quote the relevant paragraph you are replying to...

I agree that Don Frye's moustache is badass.

Post #58   6/3/09 2:29:21AM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,459-831
Chips:

You got to bé kidding. You think Dana can't control outcomes? He may not be able to control the exact outcome because flukes happen, but he sure can give a guy a very likely shot to win by putting in certain match ups. And yes he does care that the British win. The UFC has a limitless supply of US stars. They do not have that many stars in EnglaNd. Who is the biggest star over there from the UFC? TUF winner Bisping. They would love to have another English TUF winner. That is why there really are no quality wrestlers on tHe US side. Look at years past all the wrestlers every year. Kos, Rashad, Dollaway, Maynard, Taylor, Forbes, and even Diego was very good wrestlers. Those are just a few off the top of my head. There wasn't even one Ican recall out of 16 US entrants. That is no coincedence.

I guess I'm just not much of a tinfoil hat wearing fan myself. Can you even enjoy the sport if you think it's all a big setup?

Post #59   6/3/09 5:35:41AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Haha good to hear.

Post #60   6/4/09 11:47:33AM   

Page 4 of 5     1     2     3     4     5