Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kimbo Slice to the UFC... via TUF!

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:

Posted by colescar

I might get bashed for saying this, but I'm anxious to see what he could do in the octagon. You can't say the guy is not a beast, and with proper training and CARDIO, he could be a force...

bas gave him proper training , he just didnt commit 100%. My guess is not giving up the smokes .

Post #16   6/2/09 12:55:06AM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I've always known that Kimbo is serious about MMA. He hooked up with a good trainer to start, and he's always shown some respect. Guys just bash him because of his background. It's kind of like Lesnar, except obviously Lesnar is more talented. Only... for some reason... I actually like Kimbo better

The good thing about this is that we'll see guys attempt to take Kimbo down. Nobody paying money under the table to stand up. Let's see how Kimbo's MMA game has developed, not just his boxing.

for real, Kimbo from the start has been very respectfully saying he has to earn his. & who wouldnt cash in on the chance he had

Post #17   6/2/09 12:55:44AM   

mach

MMA Regular

mach Avatar

Career:572-338
Camp: SA Goons
Chips:
Honestly the guy is 35 years old, he's far too old to be seriously pursuing a meaningful career at this point. It'll be funny to see him on the show but his game is lacking in a hell of a lot of areas and he isn't going to be able to make up those deficits in the short amount of time he has left in his career.

Yes, I realize we have veterans like Hendo and Couture fighting in their late 30's/early-mid 40's but they have a wealth of experience to fall back on to compensate for disadvantages they may encounter as they wear down and younger athletes rise up. And for every Hendo/Couture you have, you also have tons of busted up fighters well past their prime, and Kimbo is approaching this age real quick with not a ton of experience to fall back on.

Props to him for getting some extra coaching through TUF, but you're kidding yourself if you think he's going to make a meaningful run through heavyweight, no matter how terrible the UFC's HW division is.

Post #18   6/2/09 1:06:47AM   

cloppio

treadin troden trails

cloppio Avatar

Career:506-363
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by cloppio

i'll believe it when i see it.

It has been confirmed by Dana. He was going to announce it today (Tuesday).

well, i just found an article with dana's quotes. i believe it.... find it odd, but i believe it.

all mighty ratings i guess.

Post #19   6/2/09 1:10:41AM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
Man say what you want but im excited!!! I like to be entertained and him being in a house with 15 other guys probably making fun of him for his youtube vids and such...I think its awesome you can hate on Kimbo all ya want but hes maning up and going on the show so I give him props and Dana for allowing him to be on the show after all he's said. This is def. gonna be must watch TV!!!

I can't wait for fighters selection and Rampage ( I can't see Evans taking him) picking Kimbo!!! Kimbo + Rampage/Rashad fued = best season of TUF ever? Probably not but def. a way to get ratings way back up.

I love it for me, for the UFC, and for Kimbo!!

Post #20   6/2/09 1:13:25AM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,459-831
Chips:
This is insane! I respect Kimbo a hell of a lot more now for stepping up like this and fighting in a place where his opponents aren't hand picked for him. It's definitely going to be an entertaining season.

Last edited 6/2/09 2:27AM server time by ThePlague
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   6/2/09 1:16:11AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,923-1,097
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wow... that is insane.

I should go back to the old elite xc threads and see if the people cheering/making excuses for this move by the UFC thought it was cool when EXC did it. I won't though... I couldn't stand the hypocrisy if I did.

I am glad to see him because it will obviously make the show more popular with a larger audience, and that is good for the sport. It will definitely make things interesting.

Post #22   6/2/09 2:11:15AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,923-1,097
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Oh... ok... if you insist. I will just post one funny thing said about Kimbo by a UFC nuthugger.

Tuvok500-

Second, if Dana give a shot to Kimbo , even a 1 fight prelim deal, i will write a letter of protestation to Dana himself !!

source

Tuvok... if you are still out there buddy... I can help you write the letter if you want. If you would, just go ahead and post a rough draft here and we will proofread it for you before you send it to Dana and give him a piece of your mind.

Post #23   6/2/09 2:20:04AM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
He'll loose as soon as he fights someone who knows how to grapple a little bit,which means he most likely won't make it past the quarter finals.

But Spike doesn't give a sh*t about how he fights,they just want the ratings.I have the feeling this is more Spike's idea than Dana's.

WB.

Post #24   6/2/09 2:28:06AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Oh... ok... if you insist. I will just post one funny thing said about Kimbo by a UFC nuthugger.

Tuvok500-

Second, if Dana give a shot to Kimbo , even a 1 fight prelim deal, i will write a letter of protestation to Dana himself !!

source

Tuvok... if you are still out there buddy... I can help you write the letter if you want. If you would, just go ahead and post a rough draft here and we will proofread it for you before you send it to Dana and give him a piece of your mind.

Post #25   6/2/09 2:42:54AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
Someone please dust off Sean Gannon and get him on the show. That would make for a great storyline. Sadly I worry that the UFC will gear the show for him to win. Like they did with the Brits this year by leaving good wrestlers off the show. I am very curious as to who the competition will be this year. BTW does anyone else think it would be funny if Kimbo got kicked off the show for fighting in the backyard. LOL I would love to see Dana give him the human cockfighting speech.

Post #26   6/2/09 3:57:43AM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,459-831
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Someone please dust off Sean Gannon and get him on the show. That would make for a great storyline. Sadly I worry that the UFC will gear the show for him to win. Like they did with the Brits this year by leaving good wrestlers off the show. I am very curious as to who the competition will be this year. BTW does anyone else think it would be funny if Kimbo got kicked off the show for fighting in the backyard. LOL I would love to see Dana give him the human cockfighting speech.

Do you actually think the UFC cares if the British team wins or not? Like Steve Cofield pointed out, it's a win-win for the UFC. If Kimbo loses, it proves Dana right and if he sticks around for a while it means bigger ratings. I've watched the sport for a long time and I don't think the UFC is in to rigging anything. If they did, there would be much better outcomes for them in a lot of fights.

Post #27   6/2/09 4:12:04AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
White said he crossed paths with Kimbo for the first time on Monday as Spike shot the first day of The Ultimate Fighter 10:

"We shot episode one today. We walked into the gym and I tell you what, he was pretty serious. He wasn't messing around, he wasn't joking," laughed White. "He wasn't laughing. I don't think he's a big Dana White fan either. How could you be after all the things that have gone back and forth?"

White also explained that Kimbo's former promoter/manager Gary Shaw had nothing to do with the deal. White indicated that the deal was finished up around May 11 he was down in Miami. Oddly, though Kimbo wasn't present in his hometown, he was actually in California. Apparently, the deal was forged with his manager "Icey" Mike Imber.

Dana White talks about Kimbo joining TUF10 on The Carmichael Dave show.

Post #28   6/2/09 6:45:17AM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Kimbo is getting a bad rap. I believe the guy has only shown respect to the sport.

It isn't his fault that an EliteXC wanted to make him the face of the org.

Bash them. Bash the casual fan who doesn't know diddly squat. Hell, bash his lifestyle, but not him as a fighter.

I just don't get the bashing of these guys. Lesnar, great wrestling backround. Compare that to Jacare who gets more respect? Kimbo seems to truly respect the sport and knows he has a long way to go. Karo doesn't "seem" to know this. Bobby Lashley wants to build his way up.

Seems to me a lot of snobs lurking around.

agree 100%, it pissed me off when mir ripped him like he wouldn't have taken the same big pay day himself, hypocrite.

Post #29   6/2/09 7:18:55AM   

ianinspain

MMA Regular

ianinspain Avatar

Career:754-517
Chips:
I say put Junie back in the house with Kimbo for added amusement value! Someone is bound to wind Kimbo up in the house and try and make a name for themselves.
I can see Kimbo and Rampage squaring up to each other at some point, threatening some black on black crime!

Bound to send the ratings waaaay higher and I will be one of them.

Post #30   6/2/09 7:30:35AM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5