Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko vs Josh Barnett can be one of the most anticipated fights in MMA history

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
“I consider Josh as one of the truly best in MMA, I think he is really in his prime right now. Just like when I fought Cro Cop, he was in his prime as well. At that time it was one of the most anticipated fights in MMA history (and) my fight with Josh can be that as well…. Every opponent is a danger for me and Barnett has a great ground game. He is capable of adjusting his gameplan any minute in the fight.”

The last man to hold the Pride FC heavyweight title and current WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko (29-1) hypes his long-awaited fight against “The Babyface Assassin” at Affliction’s third venture, which is set to go down from the Honda Center in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 1, 2009. There has been a lot of talk over the years that both Emelianenko and Barnett were avoiding meeting in the center of the ring because of the friendship they forged during their years under the Pride FC banner. It appears, however, that the showdown was inevitable — they are the last two men standing under the Affliction banner atop their respective division.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/28/09 12:32:59PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,788-1,528
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I think this is a huge fight. Barnett is a tough opponent but honestly I dont think he has what it takes to beat Fedor.

Post #2   5/28/09 1:04:25PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,641-896
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I know a #1 vs. arguable #2 matchup should be anticipated, but after a career of beating former champions and legends, I think the only reason to watch a Fedor fight is to see if he can keep his winning streak intact. He's been doing that so long, and this fight is no different from the Sylvia and Arlovski matchups, except maybe Emelianenko has demonstrated in those last two fights that he's still as unstoppable as ever.

Emelianenko vs. Barnett seems so underwhelming to me this will probably be the first time in a long time I will not tune in live solely to see Fedor Emelianenko win another fight (going to watch for Mousasi/Belfort). At this point, Emelianenko has no big-fight options left outside of the UFC and only a couple in the UFC that make intriguing matchups.

Post #3   5/28/09 1:44:45PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
theres going to be lots up and comers outside of the ufc. Rogers if he gets by AA, iishi if he decides to fight overseas, roger gracie if he has a few more fights, antonio silva, jeff monson whos riding a hot streak, etc etc

Post #4   5/28/09 2:42:59PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
less excited than i was about hughes vs serra.

i dont think barnett is at the top of hisgame anymore. he looked terrible against yvel.

Post #5   5/28/09 3:57:26PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:
Wow after one fight?! I think Barnett is a better match up than anybody right now (outside the UFC). And he has sound striking, good power, great wrestling and strong submissions. Barney's the Man! I cant wait for this!

Post #6   5/28/09 4:15:38PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I can't believe people don't see this as one of, if not the most exciting Fedor match-ups possible. I almost find it laughable. I've said all along, and will continue to say (until after the fight) that Barnett has the tools to take out Fedor probably moreso than any other fighter out there. An argument could have been made for Couture a year or so ago, but I'm not so sure there would be no age excuses should he lose now.

People are saying Barnett looked like crap against Gilbert Yvel just because he couldn't finish him early. I don't know what fight you all were watching, but I watched Barnett absolutely demolish and make a complete fool out of a game heavyweight with 35 wins on his record. Yvel has a track record of not being stopped. He's been in 49 fights and has only been stopped by TKO or submission 6 times total. For a guy who isn't known for his submission game, that's pretty impressive. Even Chuck Liddell, whom everyone holds up on this super high pedestal has been stopped 6 times. But the big difference is that Liddell has only been in 28 fights! Yvel has damn near double the amount of fights Liddell has, but he's got the same amount of losses by stoppage. That should tell you something. Yvel is a gamer- he won't quit. There's no shame in not being able to finish a guy like that.

Barnett has looked damn good as of late, and so has Fedor. Both fighters are steamrolling through competition, and it's a fight hard cores have wanted to see for a long, long, long time. I'm more stoked about this fight and more nervous about Fedor losing than I ever have been.

Last edited 5/28/09 5:36PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/28/09 5:36:00PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,500-1,283
Chips:
James Thompson beat Don Frye who beat Gilbert Yvel who beat Cheick Kongo who beat Cro Cop who beat Barnett 3 times.

I don't understand why Barnett gets the shot ahead of James Thompson.

Some 'ducking' going on ?

Last edited 5/28/09 6:15PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/28/09 6:14:13PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't think so,
i am not amused at all for this fight, i was more amused as well for the hughes vs serra match
might be biggest fight for affliction history though

Post #9   5/28/09 6:29:18PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,384-764
Chips:
Great fight I agree and anticipated yes but not the most anticipated fight in MMA history. I would have to put a lot of fights above it like GSP vs Penn, Chuck vs Wandy, Chuck vs Couture, Dan Henderson vs Anderson, Fedor vs CC, Fedor vs Nog, and Dan Henderson vs Rampage above it. But I agree it should be a really great fight. I give Barnett a much better chance than Tim and Andrei had.

Post #10   5/28/09 6:40:34PM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,483-1,177
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Great fight I agree and anticipated yes but not the most anticipated fight in MMA history. I would have to put a lot of fights above it like GSP vs Penn, Chuck vs Wandy, Chuck vs Couture, Dan Henderson vs Anderson, Fedor vs CC, Fedor vs Nog, and Dan Henderson vs Rampage above it. But I agree it should be a really great fight. I give Barnett a much better chance than Tim and Andrei had.

Agree with this I surely do.

Post #11   5/28/09 6:50:38PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Yeah I agree too you could add Chuck Tito 2 to that list.

Post #12   5/28/09 7:58:44PM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
Yeah, I can't wait for this fight, Barnett has a chance to win I do believe!

Post #13   5/28/09 8:29:06PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
most anticipated???? not for me. I am interested in seeing Fedor fight but not interested in seeing him cleanup fired UFC Heavyweights, anticipated=no

Post #14   5/28/09 8:39:57PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
The build up for this fight has been brewing for years. Of all the elite heavyweights to come out of PRIDE, it was amazing this fight never happened. I've been anticipating this fight for years, and can't wait to watch. I, like Jackelope have been saying for a while that Barnett has the best shot. I've never said he'd beat Fedor, I just think he's the only heavyweight at the moment who could possibly take Fedor to a decision.

So, I agree that this is ONE of the most anticipated fights in MMA history.(The title doesn't say THE MOST anticipated)

Post #15   5/29/09 2:05:51AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2