Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rampage And Rashad Tapped For Coaching TUF 10

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

The_Italian_Stallion

Standup Guy

The_Italian_Stallion Avatar

Career:588-346
Camp: Ultimate
Chips:
The UFC may have just thrown us a curveball.

The upcoming 10th season of "The Ultimate Fighter" will feature former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches, according to Fighter's Only.

So what about current champ Lyoto Machida, who won the title this past weekend at UFC 98?

LINK

So a little change of plans... I like this way more than holding the belt up...

Post #1   5/28/09 11:46:13AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i heard this was possible earlier today so that was a quick confirmation. one rumor has machida fighting shogun, and one that i read on sherdog mentioned shogun as well as randy. randy vs machida is the fight i suddenly want to see, but my guess is thats a sherdog born pipe dream.

Post #2   5/28/09 12:02:30PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I knew these are the coaches spiketv wanted.

Well that kinda sucks though, because I think after TUF 10. People are going to want to see Rashad and Rampage fight.

But there was TUF 2, were the coaches didnt fight in hughes and franklin.

Idk, its abit puzzling.

Post #3   5/28/09 12:03:19PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Also didn't happen after TUF 4 (Couture and GSP). As noted before I'm perfectly fine with Rampage-actually looking forward to it because like him or hate him, his colorful personality makes for entertaining TV-but would've preferred Machida since they're going to fight anyway.

Post #4   5/28/09 12:29:51PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,675-1,417
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
doesn't make sense

i think machida should fight shogun while evans and rampage are coaches, have them fight in dec for next title shot

to have rampage fight for title when tuf is filming is dumb move
how the hell will he train for the fight for one in wolfslair when he is fiming in vegas??

bad move, is this the best the ufc can do as coaches?? i say wandy vs chuck at 185 or catch weight??

don't get me wrong i like the set up and coaches but now is not the time for them to square off

Post #5   5/28/09 12:36:29PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

doesn't make sense

i think machida should fight shogun while evans and rampage are coaches, have them fight in dec for next title shot

how the hell will he train for the fight for one in wolfslair when he is fiming in vegas??

bad move, is this the best the ufc can do as coaches?? i say wandy vs chuck at 185 or catch weight??

don't get me wrong i like the set up and coaches but now is not the time for them to square off

Wandy vs Chuck at 185? If you want to see someone die trying to make weight that's a good fight.

Post #6   5/28/09 12:46:22PM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
Dumb. Why would Shogun get a title shot before Rampage? Can anyone answer that? Rampage has still not gotten a chance to win back his belt which he lost in an air tight split. Rampage is next, Shogun wins one more in the mean time, then maybe Shogun gets a crack at either Machida or Rampage. Because Rampage is funny and Rashad speaks english they both HAVE to do this show and put the whole division in limbo!?!? This is all very....ummm...Poopy if you ask me!

Post #7   5/28/09 1:12:47PM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:1,991-1,061
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by CiaoBaby

Dumb. Why would Shogun get a title shot before Rampage? Can anyone answer that? Rampage has still not gotten a chance to win back his belt which he lost in an air tight split. Rampage is next, Shogun wins one more in the mean time, then maybe Shogun gets a crack at either Machida or Rampage. Because Rampage is funny and Rashad speaks english they both HAVE to do this show and put the whole division in limbo!?!? This is all very....ummm...Poopy if you ask me!

I pretty much agree. Machida is now forced to have a long lay off, unless they through an undeserving fighter in against him. I would love to see Rashad and Rampage fight, but where does that leave Machida?

Post #8   5/28/09 1:17:40PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by CiaoBaby

Not necessarily. These Rua things are just rumors. Here's what we know so far that seems to be reliable info:
Rampage gets the next shot. Dana said so. Remember that Machida only got the shot at 98 because Rampage was hurt but Dana made it clear that when Rampage could go, he's next.
The Rampage-Machida fight could happen in September, but that's not confirmed by UFC. That comes by way of the lyotomachida.net website.
That's only a 4 month layoff for Machida, which isn't unreasonable for a champion.

Post #9   5/28/09 1:22:59PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-936
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

doesn't make sense

It's maybe the best coaching call they've made. It's nearly apparent Zuffa wanted Evans to win at UFC 98, because there's already some animosity between two volatile (and funny) fighters to exploit with TUF. I think taking Machida out and putting in Evans is a great move, and will probably be the best pairing ever on the show (at least at its start), despite the implications it possibly has in the title picture.

I think Machida's still going to fight Jackson. This show may just continue building a feud that will end sooner, especially if Machida beats Jackson, or later in the Octagon.

Post #10   5/28/09 1:28:35PM   

billycarnage

In Full Mount

billycarnage Avatar

Career:300-165
Chips:

Posted by CiaoBaby

It was a UD loss and its not like they're holding him back or anything. He chose to sit this last fight out and I am pretty sure he chose to be the TUF 10 coach. He would rather fight Rashad than Lyoto which is understandable. I don't think Rampage has any better chance than Rashad did. Plus his last win wasn't impressive by any means. I am okay with any of the Top 5 contenders getting the next shot. I Forrest should win aginst Anderson, great. Shogun is the best bet now and a tougher match up. I dont think he has anything left to prove.

Post #11   5/28/09 1:53:18PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I saw this coming a mile away--so no big surprise.

For ratings, I think it makes sense, but it also will mix things up a bit at the top of the LHW division. If Rashad wins, he doesn't really have anywhere to go after that, because I don't see them giving him a rematch. I think the only fight left for him would be against Rua.

If Rampage wins, then all goes back to normal. I don't think that Rampage really has much to gain in fighting Rashad, but it could potentially boost his popularity some more--and with popularity comes money.

Post #12   5/28/09 1:59:48PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
How can they have these guys coach and then not fight?

Post #13   5/28/09 2:51:26PM   

mmabadboy

Learning to Sprawl

mmabadboy Avatar

Career:22-11
Chips:
I think after tuf, evans should fight rua, and rampage has his title shot against machida, who ever wins faces the winner of the title fight simple

Last edited 5/28/09 3:34PM server time by mmabadboy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   5/28/09 3:33:21PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,907-1,502
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Also didn't happen after TUF 4 (Couture and GSP). As noted before I'm perfectly fine with Rampage-actually looking forward to it because like him or hate him, his colorful personality makes for entertaining TV-but would've preferred Machida since they're going to fight anyway.

They were not coaches, they were just trainers. As Hughes and Liddell when they came in for a few days as well

Post #15   5/28/09 3:58:15PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3