Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Best Style to Beat Machida

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:
Randy Couture, he always finds a way to get in your face and get in close, now machida is a completely different animal from anybody randy has fought but i think his style is best suited for lyoto, which makes me think dan henderson has a chance. now i'm not saying either of these guys would beat machida, but i think they way they fight would give him some trouble, with that said i thought rashad would beat him.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   5/26/09 7:34:53PM   

The_Italian_Stallion

Standup Guy

The_Italian_Stallion Avatar

Career:588-346
Camp: Ultimate
Chips:
I think anyone who can put Machida on his back wins... easy as that... I mean anyone with good takedowns and solid BJJ defense and who could keep him down could win a decision or grind him out for a TKO...

Besides that I think anyone with slick subs off his back could submit him if it goes to the ground like Tito almost did...

All of this is taking into consideration having to get him to the ground in someway which is a challenge in itself...

Post #2   5/26/09 7:56:46PM   

BEATDOWNS

Learning to Sprawl

BEATDOWNS Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Rampage will beat him

Post #3   5/26/09 8:50:46PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by BEATDOWNS

Rampage will beat him

i'd love to see it but you can't beat machida with cement feet

Post #4   5/26/09 8:59:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I'm finding it hard to come up with a style, honestly. We don't know what Machida's ground game looks like off his back. It could be just as dangerous as the rest of his game.

He's fought guys who strike well from the outside (Franklin), guys who have good takedowns and GnP (Tito), guys who strike well aggressively (Thiago Silva), and good counter fighters (Rashad). In the middle of all of those you also have BJJ studs, Judokas, unorthodox fighters, and powerful strikers. I'd like to see him match up against Dan Henderson to get a better gauge of how well he'll do against someone with good footwork to get inside and the ability to shrug off trip takedowns, but I can't see too many other styles that he hasn't faced. Someone like Randy would be a good test because he may be able to put Machida on his back against the fence, but I'm strongly going to doubt that we'll ever see that fight, and even if we did there would always be the excuse that Randy is "too old." That's why I'd bank on Hendo instead of Couture.

Honestly- Machida is a puzzle that's very difficult to solve. I've been involved in one way or another with martial arts training for a while now, and I don't really have a clue. You stay on the outside, you'll be picked apart. You move inside, and you'll get put on your ass. Even Greg Jackson probably had no idea how to handle him.

Post #5   5/26/09 9:21:05PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:546-340
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I like Jardine, henderson, rua, A silva, jackson and cane. I think they could all be competitive/win with the right game plan.

Last edited 5/26/09 9:30PM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   5/26/09 9:29:09PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
If Shogun is the 05 version we all hope he is coming off the Chuck win he may have a shot. Like everyone has said Dan and Randys style might do it. Hes going to be a Tuff nut to Crack.

Post #7   5/26/09 9:34:55PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Jon Jones 5 years in the future. That's the style that beats Machida. Really long reach, and great Greco.

He's far away from even making the fight competetive right now, but I think it's a fighter in the similar vein. Great Greco, long reach, and athleticism. Also fighters need to forget about headhunting Machida. He tilts his head back, making it even more of a distance to touch that chin, but that leaves the body more exposed.

Last edited 5/26/09 9:36PM server time by Wolfenstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/26/09 9:35:44PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

I like Jardine, henderson, rua, A silva, jackson and cane. I think they could all be competitive/win with the right game plan.

Jardine wouldn't make it out of the first. Anderson and Machida are training Partners. Cane and Jackson are too slow and will be peppered with shots. What is the right game plan?

Post #9   5/26/09 9:37:12PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I agree, Hendo has the power, wrestling, chin, strength, footwork, and ability to get inside that could easily pose machida problems. With good cardio he could definitely perhaps outwork Machida enough rounds to since he'd be the aggressor if he didnt finish machida.

I like Rampage's chances though. Good boxing offense and defense, solid chin, clinch strength with great clinch takedowns(dont think double legs will do it against him). I am picking Rampage. I like his chances.

Post #10   5/26/09 10:04:50PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Jon Jones 5 years in the future. That's the style that beats Machida. Really long reach, and great Greco.

He's far away from even making the fight competetive right now, but I think it's a fighter in the similar vein. Great Greco, long reach, and athleticism. Also fighters need to forget about headhunting Machida. He tilts his head back, making it even more of a distance to touch that chin, but that leaves the body more exposed.

You've hit the nail on the head in at least one regard- the reach. There aren't going to be many guys who can beat Machida out in the reach department, but Jon Jones is definitely one of them. He has athleticism, but is he explosive enough to get inside and do damage? At this point I'm not sure. Good call on an opponent, though. I had forgotten about Jon Jones and his greco skills.

If Jones is to be groomed for beating Machida, then he needs to work on his footwork a lot. Dan Henderson stalks really well and has decent side to side movement for cutting off the cage/ring while moving forward. I'd like to see Jon Jones pick some of that up, and perhaps even adapt Hendo's shoulder rock defense on the way in. Another question involves Jon Jones' top control? How good are his hips? You'd have to assume being a Greco guy that they're pretty good, but we've yet to see enough of it.

I'm excited for Machida's reign. It gives us all a really good chance to analyze the different styles and how they'll match up. Much like Anderson at MW

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   5/26/09 11:40:13PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Only if they would fight. Anderson Silva would beat him. I would probably bet almost anything on that. Pin point accurate striker with a long reach. He's just as patience so nothing will rock his focus. His striking is amazing, it's just like bernard hopkins the boxer. He starts slow, then gets your timing and movement down, then messes you up. I definitely think he has the gameplan, mind, and just as much skill to take him out.

Not trying to start another fantasy thread, just saying...only if we had a 205 pound version of him that didnt train with him. Or even a 205 pound version of Diego sanchez. Great chin, great conditioning, very well rounded, amazing aggression and pace. Definitely IMHO would outwork Machida to a win since I dont think Machida could do what Fitch did and just hold him down for 5 whole rounds since thats the only way your beating Diego IMO.

Post #12   5/27/09 12:08:50AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think both Henderson and Couture would get destroyed trying to come in on Machida. Couture doesnt have the reflexes anymore to strike with machida, and Hendo doesnt have the footwork to get in on him.

I see both fighters having huge problems making it an inside fight.

The person who beats machida will have to be able to fight in long range, better than machida can. Muay Thai guys like Brandon Vera, Or Shogun.

Post #13   5/27/09 12:25:12AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

The person who beats machida will have to be able to fight in long range, better than machida can. Muay Thai guys like Brandon Vera, Or Shogun.

I considered the possibility of Vera beating Machida before, but I'm just not so sure he can do it. Fighting from the outside is Machida's biggest strength, and an aggressive MT striker, albeit one who fights from the outside, would only play right into his style IMO. The good thing about Vera is that he likes to kick and he's really long, so at least his head would be out of reach for the most part.

Shogun is a possibility, but the way he has looked lately doesn't do it for me, either. Until I see more out of him that proves he's just that much further ahead than the rest of the LHW division again, I'm not buying it.

Henderson used the cage to help close the distance on Silva pretty well, which is what led me to believe maybe he can do the same on Machida. Granted Hendo did get rocked by Silva on the way in

Post #14   5/27/09 12:32:31AM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
Styles make match ups so as silly as this may silly as this may sound I say a guy like httCyrille Diabate might beat him.A 6'6" decent striker has a chance to work the jab and some kicks and keep striking from the outside without getting caught.That might be able to win some rounds.

Probaly not though.

Machida will be champion for a long time!

Post #15   5/27/09 1:04:02AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3