Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Clay Guida Removed From UFC Undisputed 2009

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Popular lightweight fighter, Clay Guida, was originally slated to be on the video game’s roster but had to be removed because of his hair.

THQ had reportedly offered Guida money to cut his hair so that they could keep him in the game but Guida apparently turned down the offer.

link

Post #1   5/25/09 4:48:20PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I was wondering why you couldn't give your character long hair.
Must have been too difficult to add in the game.

Post #2   5/25/09 5:10:55PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
I'd rather keep my hair too. Props Guida for not selling out to the man!

Post #3   5/25/09 5:46:32PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 38-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,675-1,472
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Thats gay with all the computer technology they have they couldnt find a way to make the hair work!!!!!

Post #4   5/25/09 5:50:23PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by fizzle

I'd rather keep my hair too. Props Guida for not selling out to the man!

Agreed, and boo to THQ. They fail, once again. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go out of business in the next couple of years. They've consistently put out sub par sports games. I know UFC Undisputed doesn't seem too bad at this moment, but it is just one example of a number of games they've put out

Post #5   5/25/09 5:50:47PM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:
Totally, I'd like to see the next UFC game in the hands of EA Sports Canada, the guys behind the Fight Night franchise. I like this game so far, but it has many shortcomings in lack of really differentiated custom model options, I for one wanted to be able to give my fighter an afro and be able to make him ridiculously out of shape so it's amusing to see him wreck someone. I feel they really fell short in this department. Solid game all in all and I can understand why they didn't put it in.

Post #6   5/25/09 6:34:18PM   

shevtheman

MMA Regular

shevtheman Avatar

Career:240-127
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by fizzle

Totally, I'd like to see the next UFC game in the hands of EA Sports Canada, the guys behind the Fight Night franchise. I like this game so far, but it has many shortcomings in lack of really differentiated custom model options, I for one wanted to be able to give my fighter an afro and be able to make him ridiculously out of shape so it's amusing to see him wreck someone. I feel they really fell short in this department. Solid game all in all and I can understand why they didn't put it in.

I hate it that a lot of the fighters are the same in terms of ability e.g. a kickboxer will through a superman punch just like GSP
Anyhow, i think this is bollocks (bullshit in brit terminology). They dropped a lot of good fighters off the game and im sure they could've fixed a small problem with hair if they wanted to.

Post #7   5/25/09 7:00:42PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
i love the game dont get me wrong but i dont get how Guida's hair was a problem and why they coudnt make anyone south paw.

Post #8   5/25/09 7:16:46PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm surprised there's this many complaints with it being one of the best playing, most in-depth, "first" entries into a sports franchise.

We all know the next will have the extra players we want, much more in-depth create a fighter mode, and many more options in career mode.

Expectations were too high for some, if you think this is anything short of an excellent first attempt.

Post #9   5/25/09 7:19:15PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by shevtheman

Posted by fizzle

I hate it that a lot of the fighters are the same in terms of ability e.g. a kickboxer will through a superman punch just like GSP
Anyhow, i think this is bollocks (bullshit in brit terminology). They dropped a lot of good fighters off the game and im sure they could've fixed a small problem with hair if they wanted to.

Although the hair issue seems so minute, I guarantee that it was one of those hurdles that wasn't worth attacking this time around. It's something like that that becomes a programmers nightmare. There are so many new things that they rolled all into one game that they need to pick and choose their battles...either that or we wait another year. I'm sure the next one will have more options for the create-a-fighter.

Post #10   5/25/09 7:22:47PM   

RNC

In Full Mount

RNC Avatar

Career:312-149
Chips:
If the hair was that big of an issue, instead of having Guida cut his hair in real life they should've just found some creative way around it. Maybe possibly corn rows, ala Urijah faber. I'm sure they could've came up with something.

Post #11   5/25/09 8:08:48PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

i love the game dont get me wrong but i dont get how Guida's hair was a problem and why they coudnt make anyone south paw.

I really don't know why his hair would be a major problem.
Games like Soul Calibur intergrate long hair in their game engines rather well.

I herd the trouble with southpaws came with the collision detection,and at the moment it was too hard to work the bugs out without deylaying the game longer.

I say wait for the next game and they'll have those problems fixed though.

Post #12   5/25/09 8:23:11PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
yeah I heard that his hair had something to do with the collision detection, my thought is couldnt they create him bald get the detection down and then had the hair or tie it back ??? I dont know to me its soooooooo bizarre, with what they do with games and he cant have hair is laughable at best

Post #13   5/25/09 8:30:15PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Chips:
It was clipping issues,, so his hair would've looked like it came from a ps1 game.

It wasn't anything to do with collision detection.

The choices were
A) Delay the game weeks to add Clay Guida's hair.
B) Don't have him in the game.
C) Give him a regular hair cut to keep him in the game.

Any of the 3 were going to have thousands of gamers mad. It was a no-win situation.

I would've preferred option C, but I guess they figured B was best to keep the accurate fighter look integrity of the game after he rightfully decided not to cut it to be in the game.

Last edited 5/25/09 8:45PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   5/25/09 8:44:09PM   

TNPanther78

Banned

TNPanther78 Avatar

Career:42-35
Camp: Rage In The Cage
Chips:
Well thats terrible, just terrible!

Post #15   5/25/09 9:25:11PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2