Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Phillipe Nover Vs Kyle Bradley - Stoppage OK ?

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
it's available to download from the UFC Video Vault but i can't find a free video of it anywhere.

The best i've found is the following gif:

Looking at the gif Nover seems ok and also, Lavigne seems to be rubbing Bradley's back for some reason.

So......legit stoppage or does Yves Lavigne strike again ?

EDIT: Nover talks loss at UFC 98

Last edited 5/25/09 1:57AM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   5/25/09 1:55:47AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
That must be why the fans were booing Yves Lavigne so incessantly

Post #2   5/25/09 2:04:10AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
No matter what the right call was, where he really fails is when he makes the decision that the fight is over and then goes back on his decision and acts like he is going to let it go.

Indecisiveness is not an acceptable characteristic of an mma ref.

In my own personal opinion, it is obvious that the fight could have gone on longer. However, Nover did kind of do a faceplant for a second or two. Faceplants of that nature are not really "intelligently defending" yourself, so if the ref makes the split second decision to stop it there I can see why.

In the end the real travesty is the way Yves is indecisive. Indecisiveness is a killer for any ref/ump.

Post #3   5/25/09 2:07:54AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Nover does go limp for a second and that's when Yves jumped in. Then he backed off. It would have been a good stoppage if he grabbed Bradley and pushed him off the whole time, rather than stopping it then letting it go for a bit longer before stopping it again.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #4   5/25/09 2:12:47AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Chips:
Yeah if he wouldn't have stepped back it would've been at least legit, considering the faceplant, even if it was a slip, it's all about how the referee interprets it.

But stepping back from the initial stop, and then not stopping it until Nover is obviously intelligently defending is a horrible horrible call.

Yves was the one who did this with Sell/Brown also.

Last edited 5/25/09 2:15AM server time by kpro

Post #5   5/25/09 2:13:55AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,550-799
Chips:
link

tho only video i could fine very low quality but u still kind of see what happens

nover went limp for a second and the ref jumped in to stop it, the ref has no way of knowing if nover is going to regain consciousness in a split secon if he didnt stop it then and if nover remains unconciouse the ref would look even worse and nover could suffer serious injury

Post #6   5/25/09 4:33:20AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:
Here's a better quality copy.

Video

Post #7   5/25/09 6:52:00AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
That stoppage was just, Nover was out and Yves being a good ref stopped i just made a mistake by not pulling Bradley away all the way, Nover was probably hit back into consciousness and couldve been alright but I take my hat off to Yves for making the right call even though he didnt seperate them fully, then again maybe it was Bradleys faults, for some reason he dosnt walk away when the fight is innitially stopped (a bigtime no no not listeing to the ref) Yves can chalk this up to experience and move on hes not losing his job over this.

Last edited 5/25/09 7:52AM server time by EvenFlow

Post #8   5/25/09 7:49:22AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,091-851
Chips:
the initial stoppage was ...okay, but the 2nd stoppage was not lol

now we in a situation where "THE NEXT ANDERSON SILVA" may be getting CUT! :(

Post #9   5/25/09 9:00:35AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Yves was trying to stop him it looked like and Bradley just kept going!!!

Post #10   5/25/09 9:06:57AM   

TheBestEVER

MMA Regular

TheBestEVER Avatar

Career:519-308
Camp: M Town Hard Hitters
Chips:
The fact is that the stoppage was def a bad one. Yeah Nover may have gone limp for a split second, but really it looked like he just sort of fell/slipped while trying to transition to a better position. Yes Refs are supposed to look out for the safety of the fighters, but if you are an MMA Ref with tons of experience you should easily be able to make the right call. He was obviously fine and Levigne knew he f*%ked up the call as soon as he stopped it. I am so sick of seeing fights stopped prematurely these guys are world class fighters, dont stop the fights until they are decisively over!!!

Post #11   5/25/09 9:32:48AM   

TheBestEVER

MMA Regular

TheBestEVER Avatar

Chips:
Why would Dana and the UFC cut Nover when the fight was obviously called prematurely? If anyone needs to be cut it should be Yves, Phillipe has a ton a talent and may very well have won that fight if it wasnt stopped early.

Post #12   5/25/09 9:36:59AM   

TheBestEVER

MMA Regular

TheBestEVER Avatar

Chips:
The stoppage was just? Listen to Joe Rogans commentary dude and simply watch the fight he was not out he recovered in one second that is not being knocked out. Machida knocking out Rashad is being "out". If all fights were ref'd this way no one would watch the sport.

Post #13   5/25/09 9:39:56AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by TheBestEVER

The stoppage was just? Listen to Joe Rogans commentary dude and simply watch the fight he was not out he recovered in one second that is not being knocked out. Machida knocking out Rashad is being "out". If all fights were ref'd this way no one would watch the sport.

uh, you dont have to be completely out to air on the side of caution, this is something you probably need to learn, no offense, and im not saying what yves did was ok, but look at bradleys as yves is stopping it, he keeps trying to go at it as yves is stopping it, the only thing yves is guilty of is not being that physically strong quite frankly, because the fight dosnt continue after he stops it

Post #14   5/25/09 10:00:38AM   

TheBestEVER

MMA Regular

TheBestEVER Avatar

Chips:
Understood, but at the same time did you ever think that Bradley kept going because he clearly did not think Nover was finished or knocked out?

Post #15   5/25/09 10:25:40AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3