Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Time Warner Possibly Dropping MMA-friendly HDNet

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Time Warner and HDNet have reached an impasse in coming to terms on a new carriage agreement and the result is the possible dropping of the high definition channel effective May 31st. The drop would affect the more than 1 million HDNet subscribers through TW nationwide. This would be a sizable chunk of the 15 million subscriber base for HDNet.

HDNet Co-founder Mark Cuban spoke with MMA Fanhouse and held out hope for a resolution:

“We are still in discussions,” Cuban said via e-mail. “The best thing fans can do is call their local Time Warner general manager and tell them that. They love HDNet and would be upset if its taken off.”

LINK

Post #1   5/19/09 12:47:51AM   

941_Florida_Boy

MMA Regular

941_Florida_Boy Avatar

Career:1,528-1,067
Camp: Playground Mafia
Chips:
I am picking up my phone as we speak....

Post #2   5/19/09 1:04:32AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:
It's done. They've dropped it.

Time Warner Cable confirmed Monday it will stop offering HDNet and HDNet Movies across all of its systems effective May 31. The move by Time Warner Cable, which has 8.7 million digital cable subscribers, is a blow to the Mark Cuban-backed HDNet, which was among the first HD services available to cable and satellite operators. Asked why the company was dropping HDNet's services, Time Warner Cable director of corporate public relations Robyn Watson said, "There's a limited appeal for the programming. In a world with more than 100 HD channels, being in HD is not enough. We are adding other channels in HD to give our customers more choice."

LINK Shame. A real shame.

Post #3   5/19/09 1:18:36AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,600-1,486
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
thank god i switched to uverse.....

Post #4   5/19/09 11:45:24AM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
This totally sucks. Now I'm forced to watch lame unleashed reruns and salmon vs evans on an endless loop in standard def. Bummer.

Post #5   5/20/09 9:04:34PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
So glad I have DirectTV. NHL Center Ice, NFL Sunday Ticket and HDNet

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #6   5/20/09 9:18:45PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,526-889
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I like TW,but damn,I was thinking about ordering HD Net soon.
I had it on demand for free,and would watch a lot of Inside MMA from that.

This sucks.

Post #7   5/21/09 8:55:01AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
It's now official according to Time Warner. But Mark Cuban (HDNet owner) says they're still negotiating. Apparently TW customers weren't told. This snip below is from the 411 writer who did the piece I just read about it:

As a Time Warner customer as well as HDNet subscriber, I find it sad that I have not been notified of the change. I say this because other times, they notify you when they plan to sneeze at the main office. What is even sadder is that when I called Time Warner, they claimed to know nothing about the scheduled dropping of HDNet.

That's bad business but considering I've had issues before with my provider (Comcast), as has my landlord, unfortunately what else is new.

Post #8   5/21/09 10:56:21AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DCRage

It's now official according to Time Warner. But Mark Cuban (HDNet owner) says they're still negotiating. Apparently TW customers weren't told. This snip below is from the 411 writer who did the piece I just read about it:

As a Time Warner customer as well as HDNet subscriber, I find it sad that I have not been notified of the change. I say this because other times, they notify you when they plan to sneeze at the main office. What is even sadder is that when I called Time Warner, they claimed to know nothing about the scheduled dropping of HDNet.

That's bad business but considering I've had issues before with my provider (Comcast), as has my landlord, unfortunately what else is new.

Posted by MMAcca

It's done. They've dropped it.

Time Warner Cable confirmed Monday it will stop offering HDNet and HDNet Movies across all of its systems effective May 31. The move by Time Warner Cable, which has 8.7 million digital cable subscribers, is a blow to the Mark Cuban-backed HDNet, which was among the first HD services available to cable and satellite operators. Asked why the company was dropping HDNet's services, Time Warner Cable director of corporate public relations Robyn Watson said, "There's a limited appeal for the programming. In a world with more than 100 HD channels, being in HD is not enough. We are adding other channels in HD to give our customers more choice."

LINK

Shame. A real shame.

Post #9   5/21/09 3:10:44PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,526-889
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
A while back they came close to dropping Nickolodeon and Comedy central along with a few others.
They came to an agreement though.
I would say if HDnet was bundled with 2 or 3 other channels this probably wouldn't of happened.

Still sucks.

Post #10   5/21/09 7:18:07PM