Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

First grappling tournament

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Career:1,656-1,095
Chips:
Got a question. I got my first grappling tournament coming up in May. My problem is I'm in college right now and don't have anybody to roll with. What type of training should I work on to prepare myself? Is shadowgrappling effective? Should I weight train, should I boost cardio with plyos? Please help me out.

Post #1   4/1/07 12:02:29PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Not gonna lie its pretty hard to train grappling by yourself. But if I had to, I'd just make sure your cardio and strength is your biggest weapon because your technique is probably gonnna be in a bit of a slouch. Do some shadowgrappling practice different rolls to get your agility and balance up, but as far as im concerned, shadow grappling really won't help you out that much just because you cant do a triangle, or an armbar against the air...

Post #2   4/1/07 1:19:08PM   

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Chips:
Ya, I know. When school ends I'll have about 2 weeks to practice. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Post #3   4/1/07 2:47:43PM   

easeye

Learning to Sprawl

easeye Avatar

Career:317-173
Camp: Cat's Den
Chips:
i agree get your cardio up in those last two weeks you better train your ass off

Post #4   4/2/07 1:11:45AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
In all honesty, youre gonna need a partner to atleast do a small amount of practicing on if you want to give yourself any chance at all at this tourny... it doesnt even need to be someone with any experience, just find someone willing to stay in your guard and try to stuff your attempts so you can build up some cardio and get used to failed attempts and knowing when to apply strength, etc...

I admit there are alot of different ways to train grappling, however they almost all include training with a partner... good luck.

ps. where is the tourny at?

Post #5   4/2/07 6:54:47AM   

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Chips:
The tourny is the NAGA midwest event in Milwaukee. I've had about 2 years of training with an instructor, but have been so busy with school and school sports that I haven't been able to compete.

My instructor and I are entering as a team (Don't quite know how that works). He wants to challenge me so he's entering me into the Novice division and the ABSOLUTE Open-Weight division. I'm pretty psyched about it.

Post #6   4/2/07 10:11:32AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by PeteD

The tourny is the NAGA midwest event in Milwaukee. I've had about 2 years of training with an instructor, but have been so busy with school and school sports that I haven't been able to compete.

My instructor and I are entering as a team (Don't quite know how that works). He wants to challenge me so he's entering me into the Novice division and the ABSOLUTE Open-Weight division. I'm pretty psyched about it.

Good luck man! ever try the magic 50?

Post #7   4/2/07 4:04:46PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by PeteD

are you living in milwaukee, if so i can get you training partners i was a club wrestler for a long time and still know quite a few guys that would roll

Post #8   4/2/07 5:08:09PM   

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Chips:
No man, I'm from Chicagoland area.

Post #9   4/2/07 7:50:12PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I'd try to keep limber, work your cardio, and do strength training. Being as you're in college, I'd see if I couldn't find a wrestler on campus who might help you train. With the boom in MMA, I'm sure theres more than a few dudes on the wrestling team interested in that sort of thing. If you can't find anyone, theres two ways around it.

1. You can build a fighting dummy, although it'll take money and time. If you look around online you can find a professionaly made one, or instructions on how to build one. You can build them out of steel cable, which makes them bendable and allows you to actually work techniques on them, as they'll fight back in a way. Not perfect, but it'll work.

2. Start working on meditation and working through fights in your head. Being as you physically have the skills, it shouldn't be difficult to use visualization and put yourself through a fight in your head. It keeps the mind sharp and helps you to think through transitions. While not physically as good as training, if you get good enough at meditation and visualization, its essentially the same thing mentally.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   4/2/07 11:16:52PM   

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Chips:
That's the thing, my college doesn't have a wrestling team. I only know two guys who like to wrestle. One outweighs me by about 70 pounds and just had his appendix removed. The other just had surgury on his collar bone.

Do you know any particular links where I could find instructions on how to build a dummy?

Post #11   4/3/07 12:01:44AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Do you have a pub on campus, or anything like that? If so, go there for Ultimate Fight Night and see if you can't spot a fighter. Maybe strike up some conversations and bring up the fact you're training for a grappling tournament. You might turn up a training partner. Like someone said before, even having someone thats not terribly skilled is better than nothing at all, because it'll at least build cardio and strength, plus keep your technique sharp.

As for fighting dummies, check this place out.

Fighting dummy instructions

The site is down sometimes because its on geocities, so if you get it to work, just copy the page itself so you can work on it.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #12   4/3/07 12:32:15AM   

JohnGio5634

Learning to Sprawl

Career:73-56
Camp: ~Knockout-Artists~
Chips:
You can come roll with us in Huntley, Il at Team Zs. Tuesday and Thursdays from 740 til 910ish...We have a few guys that are doing that same tourney...

Post #13   4/18/07 7:36:08PM   

PeteD

"Sweet Pete"

Chips:
Thanks man, I'll look into it. It looks likes you're only about 30 minutes from where I live.

Post #14   4/19/07 2:49:55PM   

hado3

Barred

hado3 Avatar

Career:238-133
Camp: Team Corral
Chips:
you need to be rolling at least 3 times a week if you want to even stand a chance weight training is only gonna hurt you cuz if you are not roling and you have big muscle then when you roll their are gonna get gassed

the more muscle you have mean the more air they need=getting tired faster

my advice is to not even think about competing unless your training constantly

Post #15   6/27/07 5:48:52AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2