Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ask the Doc: From a medical perspective, should Chuck Liddell retire?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,989-1,152
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Should Chuck Liddell retire?

Everyone has an opinion, and none have been expressed more loudly than those from UFC President Dana White and Liddell's longtime trainer, John Hackleman.

' The question was posted to MMAjunkie.com medical columnist Dr. Johnny Benjamin in his latest "Ask the Doc" feature.

LINK

Post #1   5/12/09 2:36:53PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Wow that documentary is heart breaking, how are the athletic commission still letting him fight?
I knew boxing came with risks but to be 36 and that punch drunk is truly sad.

I really like Chuck but someone should show that to him, I'v always said let him do what he wants, weigh up the options and decide but after watching that I don't see why he should risk it anymore. If one beating like that can mess you up for life why risk it when you've achieved so much already.

He's a legend, face of the sport and has done more for MMA than another fighter ever had or will but after reading that article and watching that documentary I agree with Dana.

Last edited 5/12/09 2:53PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   5/12/09 2:52:32PM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:
wow thats sad and that another reason y i dont Box. lol That dude should not... should not be aloud to fight. Chuck isn't quite that kind of danger but i think he should retire while he's on top. He's still top 10 but they'll have to throw him a Can for his next victory and if he loses...

Post #3   5/12/09 3:52:23PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
If Chuck should retire because of being KO'ed then so should Wandy he has had more KO's than Chuck. Forest also should he has gotten rocked and KO'ed in his last few fights Jardine,Rampage, and Rashad. I think Chuck should hang it up also but not because he was KO'ed but because he has lost a step. He isn't in any danger like a boxer. A boxer takes shot after shot in a fight and in sparing. He also gets a chance to get up after being knocked down and then hit some more. Chuck took three hard shots that's it so his safety IMOP is fine but like I said he needs to call it quits why fight at 40 when your not fighting for the title.

Post #4   5/12/09 4:41:49PM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
I respect the Doc's point of view, and believe what he wrote.

But, isnt the Doctor assuming Chuck is punch drunk?

Surely a Doctor cannot give an opinion on someone unless he has (or any doctor has) examined Chuck and come to the conclusion of him being punch drunk?

Just a thought,

I do think Chuck should retire now but the way, but only if a) He wants to or b) a Doctor advises him to after an examination or somthing

Post #5   5/12/09 6:27:36PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
i have always said that whatever chuck wants to do he should be able to do because he was is the most dominate light heavy weight champion ever. he is also the face of the ufc so before hearing the doctors statement i thought he should be able to choose himself. but after hearing the docs statements and watching the video i dont think he should ever fight again. he should continue with the ufc as a promoter.

Last edited 5/12/09 6:40PM server time by mshalosky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   5/12/09 6:39:18PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That doctor should have his medical license he earned on the internet pulled for offering opinion pieces in a fact-based field, with no medical knowledge of the subject of his piece.

Booo MMAJunkie.

Post #7   5/12/09 7:21:11PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Well, that was a waste of my life.

Post #8   5/12/09 7:42:14PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

That doctor should have his medical license he earned on the internet pulled for offering opinion pieces in a fact-based field, with no medical knowledge of the subject of his piece.

Booo MMAJunkie.

On the other hand, though- I'm sure his inbox is being inundated with e-mails asking this question. So I'm sure he felt obligated in one way or another to answer them.

Post #9   5/12/09 7:52:27PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I thought it was a pretty good article. I think the doc would agree that a full, in-person medical exam should be required before signing off on any kind of official recommendation; it's just that the shots that Liddell's suffered lately would have gotten the attention of any doctor in attendance.

The meat of it is that Hack may need to reconsider his stance, and that a fighter past his prime stands the risk of severe brain damage. That's what I'm taking from it.

Post #10   5/12/09 8:26:23PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Booo MMAJunkie.

All doctors go through rudimentary coverage of many different fields when they are in medical school. His opinion on the subject is much more substantial than the layman's perspective. Someone merely asked him a question, and he responded with his professional opinion. He didn't have to dissect the fact, because as you mentioned, its an opinion piece on an MMA site.

Post #11   5/12/09 8:27:10PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Kpro

Booo MMAJunkie.

All doctors go through rudimentary coverage of many different fields when they are in medical school. His opinion on the subject is much more substantial than the layman's perspective. Someone merely asked him a question, and he responded with his professional opinion. He didn't have to dissect the fact, because as you mentioned, its an opinion piece on an MMA site.

It clears up nothing and offers nothing so in that regard I see it as a layman's perspective.

His only substantial bit of a comparable case is comparing Chuck to a boxer who fought 103 amateur bouts and 47 professional bouts when it is widely suspected by doctors and non-doctors that boxing causes much more damage due to the repetitious strikes and standing 8 counts.

I still see no value in the piece, opinion, or comparison.

But I digress, that's generally how I view every opinion piece.

Post #12   5/12/09 8:38:39PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
The prob is that chuck is past his prime n the sport has past him by... in the past his speed with his chin helped him so much, he could take shot or just be fast enough to counter them n KO ppl. but now his speed has slowed so ppl can catch him (plus his stance n style doesnt help) He is a legend n desont need to prove anything n can just bank on helping mma grow even more. Also the thing is these guys were a 4 oz glove so they feel the punch ( i firmly believe boxing is more dangerous b/c of the 8 count n all the shots they take). think about the shot he took from rashad, that was lightin fast ( which would KO anyone ) But chuck cant take more shots like which will happen b/c of his name (so the higher ranked fighters usually will fight him) I think the main reason chuck should retire is cause he is not fast as he use to be n ppl have learned how to beat so he will take more shots which will effect him ( personally i think wand is in the same boat cause it seems like it only takes one shot to take these 2 legends out)

Post #13   5/12/09 9:04:38PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by warglory

Posted by Kpro

Booo MMAJunkie.

It clears up nothing and offers nothing so in that regard I see it as a layman's perspective.

His only substantial bit of a comparable case is comparing Chuck to a boxer who fought 103 amateur bouts and 47 professional bouts when it is widely suspected by doctors and non-doctors that boxing causes much more damage due to the repetitious strikes and standing 8 counts.

If I lived in the US I'd marry you!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #14   5/12/09 11:21:14PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Kpro

Posted by warglory

Posted by Kpro

Booo MMAJunkie.

If I lived in the US I'd marry you!

I don't live in a state that allows it, want to meet in Canada ?

Post #15   5/12/09 11:25:46PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2