Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rising from the Slums

Print  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In Brazil, where an estimated 50 million people live in favelas, or slums, it’s common for a child to dream of changing his or her life through sports.

In years past, kids have aspired to follow in the footsteps of soccer idols like Romário and Ronaldo, both of whom were born in the Rio de Janeiro favelas. Nowadays, the popularity of mixed martial arts in Brazil and the growth of its international market have attracted more athletes from these poor communities who aim to become the next Wanderlei Silva, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira or Anderson Silva.

link

*one of the best reads in a long time*

Post #1   5/12/09 2:02:49PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Was a great read. Makes me think about Reaganomics and the fact that maybe on a scale as bad as some of these slums it can actually work pretty well. Let's hope for these poor kids it does, anyway.

Also- just wanted to throw in another word for Jacare. It's been quite a while since we've seen him in action, but man.. I can't wait to see what this guy does in MMA.

Post #2   5/12/09 10:56:06PM   

Amigop

MMA Regular

Amigop Avatar

Career:248-181
Chips:
That was a really interesting read.

Post #3   5/12/09 11:08:09PM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,630-1,072
Chips:
Has anyone seen the movie city of god. Gives a perspective of where these guys come from

Post #4   5/13/09 2:23:50AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Drudinh

Has anyone seen the movie city of god. Gives a perspective of where these guys come from

great movie

Post #5   5/13/09 2:44:38AM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Was a great read. Makes me think about Reaganomics and the fact that maybe on a scale as bad as some of these slums it can actually work pretty well. Let's hope for these poor kids it does, anyway.

Also- just wanted to throw in another word for Jacare. It's been quite a while since we've seen him in action, but man.. I can't wait to see what this guy does in MMA.

You'll get to see him real soon, but the bad thing is he's going to lose to Miller when you do.

Post #6   5/13/09 9:43:35AM