Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Heath Herring Ready For His Next Rodeo

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,038-1,167
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Win or lose, Heath Herring will never stray from a 13-year credo: entertainment first, results second.

The “Texas Crazy Horse” has never had it easy, in Pride or the UFC. He’s faced enough top-ranked fighters for three men’s careers. The difference between the two organizations, he says, is entertainment was job security in Japan.

“It was a whole different thing,” said Herring. “The fighters were pushed more to go out there and put on a good show. The UFC’s definitely, if you don’t win – especially with the contracts they have – they’ll cut you with a loss. So I have had to change my mentality a little bit.”

Given the mismatches that continue to dot the Japanese scene, not much has changed.

LINK

Post #1   5/9/09 6:01:03AM   

StPierreCanada

MMA Regular

StPierreCanada Avatar

Career:1,113-779
Camp: Zewkey.com
Chips:
Herring is a tough, solid fight for anyone.

Post #2   5/9/09 9:17:59AM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
herring is a very quality fighter. i just hat how they are makin him the gate keeper in the ufc. he has been in the top ten over and over again. they really are just using him they said before the congo fight whoever won had a title shot but no one really expected herring to win so when he did they changed there mind. i just hate it when organizations leave the fighers out to dry

Post #3   5/9/09 9:53:25AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by mshalosky

herring is a very quality fighter. i just hat how they are makin him the gate keeper in the ufc. he has been in the top ten over and over again. they really are just using him they said before the congo fight whoever won had a title shot but no one really expected herring to win so when he did they changed there mind. i just hate it when organizations leave the fighers out to dry

I really don't understand this mentality at all. If Heath Herring strung together back to back wins against Nog and then Cheick, he probably would have had the first shot against Couture's belt instead of Lesnar. Its amazing how wins and losses can change history's outcomes, but this is all on Heath. The UFC profits on how well their fighters perform. If you do well, you are treated well, I think Dana has demonstrated that quite thoroughly. Heath has been a mixed bag, and deserves the status of Gatekeeper right now until he proves otherwise. I agree with you, he has the capability to be champion, he just needs to prove it.

Last edited 5/9/09 12:01PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   5/9/09 12:00:36PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Especially considering he essentially got the TKO over Nog in their UFC fight. Ref didn't want to call it as Nog is known for being tough and seeing him lose in his debut after all the hype is bad for business. But I have seen way quicker stops over less brutal shots than that. UFC politics at work, no one wants to see a quick stop when a contender is on the losing end, (randy and brock). Cain is a good test, I see him as being kinda undersized compared to Heath, and I don't see Cain being able to use his wrestling to dominate. Maybe his speed will give him the edge in the stand-up, all depends. Cain wins and he's headed for a top contender then a shot. Heath wins and he's kind of in a maze ... beat kongo, lost to nog, randy will probably be retired, mir maybe but only if he loses to brock, not brock after last time, carwin will probably be champ or number 1 contender ..... dos santos maybe?

Post #5   5/9/09 12:56:03PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,684-1,420
Chips:
sad thing is if herring loses he might be out of the ufc, but given 3 losses by decision i think even if he losses he should stay

Post #6   5/9/09 7:36:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I've always maintained that Herring is a quality opponent for anyone. I would argue that he's ranked very high, if not top 3 on the list of guys who have fought cream of the crop competition.

Another thing I've always maintained is that Herring is a perfect example of a solid defensive fighter who lacks lightning quick finishing ability. IMO that's why his career has been steady, but just below organizational champ status. Almost like the Steelers, but without championships. He'll make you earn every bit of your victory, and if you've got an ounce of quit in you he will expose it and steal the W. Maybe a better example would be the Ravens

He's like the perfect gatekeeper, actually

Post #7   5/9/09 8:41:10PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,702-1,448
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I've always maintained that Herring is a quality opponent for anyone. I would argue that he's ranked very high, if not top 3 on the list of guys who have fought cream of the crop competition.

Another thing I've always maintained is that Herring is a perfect example of a solid defensive fighter who lacks lightning quick finishing ability. IMO that's why his career has been steady, but just below organizational champ status. Almost like the Steelers, but without championships. He'll make you earn every bit of your victory, and if you've got an ounce of quit in you he will expose it and steal the W. Maybe a better example would be the Ravens

He's like the perfect gatekeeper, actually

Totally true, he was getting mauled by Erickson and still pulled out the Victory, I still think Cain will win because he's got the Wrestling and Cardio, two things that will be extremely hard for Herring to expose.

Post #8   5/9/09 11:33:38PM