Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Affliction's Tom Atencio: Emelianenko vs. Barnett is "the fight I want"

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,899-1,095
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio is still tight-lipped about details of the organization's upcoming third show.

But when it comes to the night's main event, he definitely has his heart set on one particular matchup: Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett.

"It hasn't been finalized," Atencio said on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It's the fight fight I want, though. We're working on it.

"But it's not done."

LINK

Post #1   5/9/09 2:23:19AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I acctually believe this guy is a huge fan of the sport, not just his brand. I hope he succeeds.

Post #2   5/9/09 3:39:09AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

I actually believe this guy is a huge fan of the sport, not just his brand. I hope he succeeds.

Best of luck to them in future endeavors.

Post #3   5/9/09 5:03:40AM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
I have a feeling that if this fight happens then it will take place in Japan and Affliction will have to give an arm and leg to M-1 in order for this to happen. This will most certainly signal the end of Affliction as well. It's also great that Atencio is a fan but at the end of the day he has the responsibility of an entire company and not just making a dream match in order to please everyone.

Post #4   5/9/09 9:04:50AM   

StPierreCanada

MMA Regular

StPierreCanada Avatar

Career:1,057-747
Camp: Zewkey.com
Chips:
But Barnett won't take it.....

Post #5   5/9/09 9:19:04AM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
Duh...its the fight everyone wants.

Post #6   5/9/09 2:20:25PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
This is the fight I want too. So it better happen.

Post #7   5/9/09 3:43:37PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think this would be an amazing fight.
Been waiting way too long for it.

I think Barnett could be the one guy to do it.

Last edited 5/9/09 5:41PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/9/09 5:39:26PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

You might be one of few then because even Barnett knows his chances are slim and none. I dont see this one sided beating happening honestly, lest there be a massive payday. I dont know why Barnett wouldnt at least try he could make history by grinding out a decision. If he really wanted the fight it wouldve more than likely been signed already.

Post #9   5/9/09 6:25:54PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,803-1,537
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Fedor will destroy Barnett but who else is there really!!!!!

Post #10   5/9/09 7:21:47PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by mrsmiley

You might be one of few then because even Barnett knows his chances are slim and none. I dont see this one sided beating happening honestly, lest there be a massive payday. I dont know why Barnett wouldnt at least try he could make history by grinding out a decision. If he really wanted the fight it wouldve more than likely been signed already.

Yeah I am one of the few.
I pretty much think that Barnett would be quiet possibly the best wrestler Fedor will have faced.
Though he beat Randleman and Coleman with realitive ease,they still posed problems for them.
Coleman was able to get him to the mat and Randleman got that hellacious suplex on him.

I think Barnett would fight a smart fight.
And if he comes in 100% might be able to keep Fedor on his back for a while.

I will say Fedor would probably when this fight at about an 88% chance.
But I think Barnett has that chance of bringing a ground game that would be equal to AA's standup.
Fedor would most likely catch him,but I would love to see what Barney does.

Post #11   5/9/09 9:15:39PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by mrsmiley

Yeah I am one of the few.
I pretty much think that Barnett would be quiet possibly the best wrestler Fedor will have faced.
Though he beat Randleman and Coleman with realitive ease,they still posed problems for them.
Coleman was able to get him to the mat and Randleman got that hellacious suplex on him.

I think Barnett would fight a smart fight.
And if he comes in 100% might be able to keep Fedor on his back for a while.

I will say Fedor would probably when this fight at about an 88% chance.
But I think Barnett has that chance of bringing a ground game that would be equal to AA's standup.
Fedor would most likely catch him,but I would love to see what Barney does.

I'm with you. Barnett represents Fedor's toughest challenge. Barney is savvy as hell, and he's handled himself well against clinch takedown fighters. (Pawel Nastula, Yoshida, Couture) Not to mention that Barnett's body in and of itself presents challenges due to his powerful and extremely heavy lower body. He's able to sink his weight well, and he's skilled and tough enough to face up to Fedor on the feet and the ground. He's got incredible top control and surprisingly good cardio for his appearance.

Barneys only losses are to Noguiera, Crocop, and Rizzo. He avenged the Rizzo loss by KO'ing him on the feet, and he was able to avoid submissions from Noguiera. Barney is Fedor's greatest challenge. Been saying that for years now.

Post #12   5/9/09 9:46:12PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:
Yeah the revenge on Rizzo was sweet.
Nog beat him in their second match,but Josh won the first.
With Nogs recent performances I would slightly give the nod to Barnett in a third fight.

CC just seems to be Josh's achille's heel.

I agree with what you said as well.
Barnett just represents a challenge that would be very interesting to put against Fedor.

Post #13   5/9/09 10:02:25PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,621-1,406
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'd love to see this Fight, Catch Wrestling vs Sambo wouldn't sound appealing only if you didn't know who was Fighting but we've got the Top 2 HW imo that could possibly Fight. Barney has a legitimate chance to dethrone Fedor. He could use his Wrestling to control Fedor from Top control but we all know how difficult that is, I see this Fight having nonstop action with tons of submission attempts with Fedor coming out on Top as the Fighter with more tools and superior skills. I think Fedor will probably drop Barney and Finish it off with some of his famous Ground and Pound.

Post #14   5/9/09 11:01:38PM