Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Undisputed Projected Sales: 2 Million

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Bloomberg News has a nice piece up that gives some good insight to the numbers game behind the UFC 2009 Undisputed video game that will be hitting stores soon. The article also gives the first intimations of how the title may do at the cash register:

UFC’s male fan base is a main reason Todd Mitchell, a technology analyst with Kaufman Bros. in New York, projects the game will sell more than 2 million copies in nine months.

The UFC license runs through 2011 and may be extended, said Julie MacMedan, a THQ spokeswoman. The company is probably paying UFC about 17 percent of sales or a guaranteed minimum, said Mitchell, who recommends the stock and doesn’t own it.

“UFC 2009 Undisputed” returns THQ to its expertise making fighting games. WWE titles have brought in $1.5 billion in sales over the past decade. The company spent more than $20 million developing the UFC game and will expense “not quite” as much on marketing, Farrell said.

A little quick math pegs the 2 million in sales by the 59.99 list price yields a gross sales figure of $120 million. If we figure the UFC is being paid the license fee off of gross, that would yield the UFC just over $20 million on the deal; if off of wholesale which generally runs 45 to 50% would mean somewhere in the $10 million range.

Another interesting figure is the sunk cost they have in both marketing and production. Between the two they are looking at probably a $35 million outlay. This is a good chunk of money, but is the first step in establishing a a franchise title, which THQ hopes the Undisputed title will be. Subsequent years will have a lowered production cost with the engine merely being tweaked, instead of made from scratch. Marketing cost as well will dip due to the brand awareness established during the initial launch.

Link

Post #1   5/7/09 11:22:47AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
You can mark me down for what the $60 it costs for a game now.

Post #2   5/7/09 12:11:34PM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
Pretty much everyone is excited about this game. I have not heard one bad thing said about it. It should sell 2million easy.

Post #3   5/7/09 12:38:47PM   

Throwdown

MMA Regular

Throwdown Avatar

Career:489-275
Chips:
I'm sure the game will do well and boost a sinking THQ...

I'm a lil shocked from a market standpoint though. THQ got nailed yesterday with reported earnings below what was even expected...today the stock has jumped... go figure

Post #4   5/7/09 1:46:36PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Pretty much everyone is excited about this game. I have not heard one bad thing said about it. It should sell 2million easy.

It needs to andi hope it does.

Otherwise no more games AT ALL from THQ.

Post #5   5/7/09 1:48:13PM   

KipDynamite

Learning to Sprawl

KipDynamite Avatar

Career:239-190
Camp: Dangerzone
Chips:
This game is off the chain! I played it for hours the other day and as soon as figured out how to clinch and go into a flying armbar with Shogun....I was hooked! I am buying an Xbox soley for this game

Post #6   5/7/09 1:51:29PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,867-1,038
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
with 2 million buys, this will be the most successful UFC of all time.

Post #7   5/7/09 2:54:58PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
It should be a fun game, and I agree that the 2 million mark is reasonable.

First, it's clear the team at THQ that's working on this loves the game and loves MMA. There was a quote on Sherdog where the project lead said they revisited Frank Mir's stats after his performance against Nog at UFC 92. They seem to get MMA and what it means to a game.

That's good news for everyone. If the game has random knockouts just like in MMA, gamers can complain that it feels too cheap and unpredictable. If the game is more controlled, then MMA fans can complain the game lacks the spirit of the sport. The demo shows a good balance between the two. If you keep launching strikes you stand a good chance of getting 1 hit KOed, but if you play a balanced game and work a certain area of your opponent while resting in between combos, you should be able to earn a stoppage victory. And in the demo, at least on the higher difficulty levels, no match has been exactly the same.

There's something like 80 fighters available in the roster with a good number in each weight division. Some fighters can either go up or down a weight. There's also a career mode - I can't say for sure how good it is, but the description makes it sound like a rich, satisfying experience (total customization, training options, progression from smaller fights to bigger UFC cards, etc.).

It's also a 100% UFC experience. The Zuffa satellite graphic, the UFC theme music, the look of the fighters and the octagon and even the refs and ring girls. It's immersive.

I've seen a few flaws. Some of the animations are a little janky, like when it comes to collision. The pre-rendered replay looks perfect, and you don't really notice the issues when you're in the middle of a match. Also, you may not see super explosive or individual stuff like Kos's cannonball shots, Wanderlei's jumping knees in the clinch, or Machida's complete evasion. So these could be things to work on for a sequel.

I think the game will have a steep learning curve for those new to MMA. The demo tutorial spells out all the basic moves brilliantly, but it doesn't really list the reasons. Why are takedowns important to judges, why is a mount so important, why do some punches just take a guy out no matter what. These are somewhat balanced by the difficulty settings - beginner is just a joke to win at.

Anyway, I've already pre-ordered it and planned a week off from work for the release date. I think it'll be a really solid game, one that fans and gamers can get behind.

Last edited 5/7/09 3:03PM server time by isk
Edit note/reason: punctuation
2 total post edits

Post #8   5/7/09 3:01:32PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Go Pre-order the game now!!! If you pre-order the game you will get Bader and Escudero as free downloads. If not you will have to pay to download them.

Post #9   5/7/09 3:05:14PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Chips:
i already paid for mine just waiting to pick it up
can't wait though i know i'll be playing hours a day

Post #10   5/7/09 5:09:45PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Video on career mode --

HERE

Post #11   5/7/09 11:46:23PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Two Million...not going to happen. Most electronic stores I've stopped by don't even have it on their pre-order list. I'm sure 2 million will eventually sell, but if Fight Night has yet to sell 2 million, then I doubt the UFC will.

Post #12   5/7/09 11:48:02PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
i reserved this game about a month ago, my xbox died two days ago. You have no idea how much i'am gonna die inside when i go to pick up my reserved copy and can't play it until my xbox comes back from texas.

Post #13   5/8/09 12:20:00AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,815-1,059
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Go Pre-order the game now!!! If you pre-order the game you will get Bader and Escudero as free downloads. If not you will have to pay to download them.

No you won't. You will have to wait 90 days to download them for free.

Post #14   5/9/09 1:40:40AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by supatolacyl

No you won't. You will have to wait 90 days to download them for free.

And you know this how??

Post #15   5/12/09 3:58:12PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2