Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Paul Buentello's next fight still uncertain, Tim Sylvia possible

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
When Paul Buentello (27-10) earned a third-round TKO stoppage over Kirill Sidelnikov at January's "Affliction: Day of Reckoning," "The Headhunter" felt he whad put himself in a good spot.

Three-and-a-half months later, and without a signed bout in his immediate future, the heavyweight is not so sure.

"I have no freaking idea right now," Buentello recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I feel like I'm Cung Le right now and not paying attention to the MMA world – like I've just kind of fallen off the face of the world."

LINK

Post #1   5/6/09 3:38:02PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
Its such BS that Affliction hasn't put together another fight, and by that I mean at least have a date and location picked out...they say late Aug...well I think that if they haven't announced anything by the end of the month then they are def gonna fold. And if they still manage to pull off another show it will be their last.
Why would fighters want to just wait around...Tim Sylvia hasn't fought in a year...it will be six months or more until we see Fedor or Barnett or whomever...Obviously a bunch of guys are fighting in June on that one show...Doesn't that eliminate alot of possible fighters from their already weak stable for an August fight...I know alot of fighters make quick turnarounds but not all.

Post #2   5/6/09 6:37:09PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well, when you go from getting 100k a fight to 650k a fight, it's easy to take a year off. When you know your career is on it's tail end and the recovery from bumps and bruises takes longer every time, wouldn't you want the bigger paycheck that requires less bumps and bruises? Guys like Sylvia don't have much to prove anymore (especially considering he knows he'll never beat this org's champ) so it makes sense to me that he would only fight once a year. Hell, I'd take the big paycheck.

As for Buentello vs. Sylvia- this is a fight I'd definitely be interested in seeing. We haven't seen too many guys go the distance on the feet with Sylvia without getting their asses completed handed to them, but Buentello is just the guy that could do it. He's pretty damn big himself, and he's no slouch at all when it comes to Muay Thai. He could probably take a Sylvia right hand, and he'd punish the living hell out of Sylvia's legs. I'm all for seeing this one

Post #3   5/6/09 11:10:57PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I wouldnt mind seeing Paul vs Tim, Paul moves faster on the feet than tim and could prolly win a decision.

Post #4   5/7/09 11:51:06AM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Well, when you go from getting 100k a fight to 650k a fight, it's easy to take a year off. When you know your career is on it's tail end and the recovery from bumps and bruises takes longer every time, wouldn't you want the bigger paycheck that requires less bumps and bruises? Guys like Sylvia don't have much to prove anymore (especially considering he knows he'll never beat this org's champ) so it makes sense to me that he would only fight once a year. Hell, I'd take the big paycheck.

As for Buentello vs. Sylvia- this is a fight I'd definitely be interested in seeing. We haven't seen too many guys go the distance on the feet with Sylvia without getting their asses completed handed to them, but Buentello is just the guy that could do it. He's pretty damn big himself, and he's no slouch at all when it comes to Muay Thai. He could probably take a Sylvia right hand, and he'd punish the living hell out of Sylvia's legs. I'm all for seeing this one

I hadn't really thought about the paycheck....but isn't that going to be the reason Affliction closes up shop...I thought I had heard that they were trying to renegotiate fighters to make less and that Atencio said paying his fighters that much was a big mistake for them financially...no source just trying to pull from memory

Post #5   5/8/09 7:50:54AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by sclasclemski

Posted by Jackelope

I hadn't really thought about the paycheck....but isn't that going to be the reason Affliction closes up shop...I thought I had heard that they were trying to renegotiate fighters to make less and that Atencio said paying his fighters that much was a big mistake for them financially...no source just trying to pull from memory

Yeah that sounds sorta right from what I can recall too. Although I don't really see how it matters. Although maybe part of the off time has been them renegotiating. Who knows?

Also- Tim Sylvia went on a USO Tour in the last year and was on some hunting shows, so that's another set of things that has kept him busy.

Post #6   5/8/09 9:05:53AM