Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

At 6-foot-1, UFC lightweight Cole Miller could make cut to 145 (and even 135)

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,038-1,167
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
At a towering height of 6-foot-1, Cole Miller is one of the UFC's tallest lightweights.

And while he has no intentions of leaving the UFC, where he meets "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Efrain Escudero at the organization's upcoming UFC 103 show, he could certainly have some options outside the fight promotion.

After all, not only can Miller compete at 155 pounds, but the lanky fighter said he could make the cut to 145 pounds – and even 135 pounds – if he really pushed himself.

LINK

Post #1   5/5/09 7:08:02PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Now that miller said 135, its makes me think Torres and Miller seem similar.

But unless Cole starts getting dominated at 155 by those wrestlers, he should be fine in the UFC LW division.

Post #2   5/5/09 8:11:47PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Miller still has a lot of work to be a contender at 155. His striking is still wild and sloppy. He is way to easy to hit and to easy to take down. He has been looking a little better.

Also it was extremely lame of him to call out the winner of Fisher vs Uno. What tool gets on the microphone and tries to hand pick his own opponent? Its one thing to call out the champ or top guy who is a step up. But who calls out someone who they have no grudge with and is actually a step down from themselves? Fisher and Uno have no momemtium right now and are lower ranked than Miller. Miller just wants easy fights that he matches up well verses. Shows either his lack of confidence or he is just trying to stretch out his UFc contract by not figting anyone.

Post #3   5/5/09 8:31:18PM   

chitownsfinest15

MMA Regular

chitownsfinest15 Avatar

Career:413-266
Camp: KMX 7249
Chips:
miller is going to be a contender IF he beats escardaro(however you spell it) i do disagree with the him calling out people...yes he did call out someone who is a step down but don't you think he is being a little smart? extending his contract is how he gets paid...the ufc just released some guys who have been fighting top competition and losing and....as long as he keeps getting fights then he will be in the ufc...as long as they are W's

Post #4   5/5/09 8:58:51PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
IMO, Caol Uno and Spencer Fisher are not that much of a step down, if any from Cole Miller. They definatly have experience on their side. They both have fought, and in some cases defeated better competition that Cole has.

Post #5   5/5/09 11:08:16PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
Yes its good to get as many wins you can. But when you go out on a limb and beg for lessor talents to pad your record it makes you look like a tool who cant be taken to serious. Its very Ametuerish to say the least. Especially when there is no shortage of real fighters who will fight anyone, anytime, anywhere. And guys like Hghes who never ask for an opponent. He just fights who they give him. Then you have guys like GSP and Hermes Franca who beg for a title shot. They didnt come out and ask for a meaningless fight. They called out the best. Being the best. Isnt that the reason these guys should be fighting?

Cole Miller can run the King of the Cage Curcuit if he wants to rack up paydays verses guys that dont help his career. Fisher and Uno are very good fighters. Fisher doesnt have the wrestling of TD defense to control where the fight goes or to capitolize of Millers poor wrestling. Miller would have the reach to pick at him for a decision. Basically a safe fight for Miller. I think Fisher is just as good as Miller but bad style fight for him. But Miller needs to be trying to climb the latter not decend it.

Post #6   5/6/09 12:36:46AM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,704-1,492
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
Spencer Fisher and Caol Uno are EASILY a step up from some TUF scrub like Junie Browning.

Post #7   5/6/09 5:52:47AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Lol @ Uno or Fisher being a step down from Miller....

He might aswell stick with the ufc for now, becouse hes probably picking up a bigger check than he would be fighting in the WEC. But in a couple of years, when he skills are starting to peak a little, he might want to consider the move if hes still not able to beat the best guys.

Hes always going to be a threat when he fights though. His striking is looking better all the time, and his Jits is pretty sick, so theres no position which he should be getting totally dominated in.

Post #8   5/6/09 7:55:45AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

. And guys like Hghes who never ask for an opponent.

Um, didnt Hughes do an interview like 3 days ago or so asking for Alves or GSP if he beats Serra? Guess you missed that one....

Post #9   5/6/09 7:57:32AM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by Brain_Smasher

. And guys like Hghes who never ask for an opponent.

Um, didnt Hughes do an interview like 3 days ago or so asking for Alves or GSP if he beats Serra? Guess you missed that one....

Just what I was thinking.

Post #10   5/6/09 8:10:50AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Uno and Fisher a step down from Miller? What are you guys smoking. Fisher would easily knock Miller out.

Post #11   5/6/09 9:26:30AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Cole could probably make 145, but 135...I highly doubt it. He's too tall, he'd be a skeleton with skin.

Caol Uno and Spencer Fisher are right at Cole's level--I would argue Spencer is probably a couple notches above Miller. Spencer has beaten some top level guys, and his groundgame is pretty decent--I mean he did submit Thiago Alves who is now the #2 WW.

He's also beaten Sam Stout, Matt Wiman, and Jeremey Stephens (who TKO'd Cole). So it's a big step up for Cole Miller to fight Fisher in my opinion.

Post #12   5/6/09 11:52:34AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Brain_Smasher

Yes its good to get as many wins you can. But when you go out on a limb and beg for lessor talents to pad your record it makes you look like a tool who cant be taken to serious. Its very Ametuerish to say the least. Especially when there is no shortage of real fighters who will fight anyone, anytime, anywhere. And guys like Hghes who never ask for an opponent. He just fights who they give him. Then you have guys like GSP and Hermes Franca who beg for a title shot. They didnt come out and ask for a meaningless fight. They called out the best. Being the best. Isnt that the reason these guys should be fighting?

Cole Miller can run the King of the Cage Curcuit if he wants to rack up paydays verses guys that dont help his career. Fisher and Uno are very good fighters. Fisher doesnt have the wrestling of TD defense to control where the fight goes or to capitolize of Millers poor wrestling. Miller would have the reach to pick at him for a decision. Basically a safe fight for Miller. I think Fisher is just as good as Miller but bad style fight for him. But Miller needs to be trying to climb the latter not decend it.

I really really doubt Cole millers ability to outstrike Spencer Fisher on the feet.

Post #13   5/6/09 1:27:16PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by gspfan

IMO, Caol Uno and Spencer Fisher are not that much of a step down, if any from Cole Miller. They definatly have experience on their side. They both have fought, and in some cases defeated better competition that Cole has.

I agree
Miller has defeated - Jorge Gurgel, Junie Browning, and Leonard Garcia

Spencer has Defeated - Jeremy Stephens, Sam Stout, Matt Wiman, Thiago Alves, Josh Neer, and Aaron Riley

Uno has Defeated - Mitsuhiro Ishida, Rich Clementi, Hideo Tokoro. DIn Thomas, Yves Edwards, Dennis Hallman, Rumina Sato, and Drew with Bj Penn and Tatsuya Kawajiri.
Miller's record isnt really anywhere close. The only way Miller is above either fighter in the standings is because he isnt coming off a loss as recently. But he also hasnt been fighting the Shinya Aoki's or Frankie Edgars of the world.

Post #14   5/6/09 1:39:52PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
I can see him maybe at 145...135 and I start to think of Corey Hill....

Post #15   5/6/09 11:59:56PM