Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kyle Kingsbury targeted for return at UFC 102 in August

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
"The Ultimate Fighter 8" cast member and longtime King of the Cage fighter Kyle Kingsburg (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will likely return at UFC 102.

A source close to the fighter told MMAjunkie.com Kingsbury has been offered a bout, but his proposed opponent may not be available for the event.

Although not officially announced, UFC 102 is expected to take place on Aug. 29 in Portland, Ore.

LINK

Post #1   5/1/09 12:45:06AM   

godofdixie

MMA Regular

godofdixie Avatar

Career:1,164-626
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
i don't understand why the ufc kept this dude around

Post #2   5/1/09 1:36:55AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Kyle Kingsbury you've been targeted.

Post #3   5/1/09 9:52:43AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Chips:
i knew this a month ago i did hear his original opponent won't be fighting him though
i think he might face a brian stann or mike ciesnolowick

Post #4   5/1/09 10:55:55AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
do you know who the original opponent was suppose to be?

Post #5   5/1/09 11:52:50PM   

bsh162007

MMA Regular

bsh162007 Avatar

Career:51-51
Camp: Team Tarp
Chips:
his original opponent was supposed to be Razak Al-Hassan but he still not 100 percent since steve cantwell tried to find a new way to bend and elbow lol but it was his fault he didnt tap but anyway i think kyle kingsbury could be very good he is def athletic enuff i just think he has got a lot to learn still but maybe he will come out at ufc 102 and surprise everyone

Post #6   5/2/09 11:53:23AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,782-1,038
Chips:
Razak Al-Hassan needs to never fight in the UFC again, unless he dramatically improves.

For his own safety.

Post #7   5/3/09 12:39:31AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Fight's off 102. Al-Hassan may not be ready. Kingsbury will wait unil he is ready, could be October.

Article

Post #8   5/7/09 8:29:13PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Kingsbury is still massive as ever for a 205'er. I saw him just a few weeks ago. He's athletic as hell, and he's got a good attitude. I have absolutely 0 problems with the UFC keeping a guy like that around. He competed on TUF with little to no experience under his belt. Give him some room to grow.

Post #9   5/7/09 9:07:15PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Kingsbury is still massive as ever for a 205'er. I saw him just a few weeks ago. He's athletic as hell, and he's got a good attitude. I have absolutely 0 problems with the UFC keeping a guy like that around. He competed on TUF with little to no experience under his belt. Give him some room to grow.

True. On the other hand, letting Kyle drop to a smaller org. might give him a better chance at getting that experience. The talent level is rising quickly with all the cuts, and I don't think Kyle can grow as easily when constantly overmatched. Letting him learn some lessons while still getting wins and then bringing him back when he is more seasoned might be the better move for him in the long run.

Post #10   5/7/09 9:35:43PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Jackelope

True. On the other hand, letting Kyle drop to a smaller org. might give him a better chance at getting that experience. The talent level is rising quickly with all the cuts, and I don't think Kyle can grow as easily when constantly overmatched. Letting him learn some lessons while still getting wins and then bringing him back when he is more seasoned might be the better move for him in the long run.

To an extent I agree. However, I don't think 1 or 2 fights is enough to determine that being the case. I mean, if you talk to almost any fighter out there they will tell you that they learned the most when they lost. Just look at GSP after he lost to Hughes and Serra.

If Kingsbury drops this next one or another after it in a row then I'm all for him getting cut. As long as he keeps showing up to fight and has a good attitude, then I would personally have no problems with him on my card. A lot of fans still like him. (he was a fan favorite on TUF) I think the UFC knows talent and the ability to develop most of the time when they see it, and Kingsbury has that and the fans on his side.

Post #11   5/8/09 1:10:51AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Jackelope

To an extent I agree. However, I don't think 1 or 2 fights is enough to determine that being the case. I mean, if you talk to almost any fighter out there they will tell you that they learned the most when they lost. Just look at GSP after he lost to Hughes and Serra.

If Kingsbury drops this next one or another after it in a row then I'm all for him getting cut. As long as he keeps showing up to fight and has a good attitude, then I would personally have no problems with him on my card. A lot of fans still like him. (he was a fan favorite on TUF) I think the UFC knows talent and the ability to develop most of the time when they see it, and Kingsbury has that and the fans on his side.

Only time will tell. I can see your point, but I am not sure Kyle has the kind of opponents he can learn from in the UFC. I'd rather see Kyle get more like 5-6 fights this year and get his record into a +10 win/loss ratio range. He could do that kind of thing in PFC, RITC, and KOTC. In the UFC he will be lucky to get 3 fights a year and is likely to end up at 7-5 depending on his competition and level of improvement. Kyle would have a hard time getting back to the UFC if he ends up going 0-4 in the UFC this early in his career.

Obviously, I am not going to assume to know more than him or any one around him about his situation. It is just my general observation that bringing good prospects along to quickly can ruin them sometimes. Kyle seemed like a great guy on TUF, and I hope he has a long and successful career, along with anyone else who might be training with him.

Post #12   5/8/09 1:11:43PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Only time will tell. I can see your point, but I am not sure Kyle has the kind of opponents he can learn from in the UFC. I'd rather see Kyle get more like 5-6 fights this year and get his record into a +10 win/loss ratio range. He could do that kind of thing in PFC, RITC, and KOTC. In the UFC he will be lucky to get 3 fights a year and is likely to end up at 7-5 depending on his competition and level of improvement. Kyle would have a hard time getting back to the UFC if he ends up going 0-4 in the UFC this early in his career.

Obviously, I am not going to assume to know more than him or any one around him about his situation. It is just my general observation that bringing good prospects along to quickly can ruin them sometimes. Kyle seemed like a great guy on TUF, and I hope he has a long and successful career, along with anyone else who might be training with him.

You know, this post got me thinking- What about the fact that the UFC doesn't want to let him go so he can move down to those specific orgs? That may be another thing at play here. Kingsbury has a marketable name, and as both yourself and myself have admitted- he's got potential. Whether that potential can live up to UFC caliber or not is in debate, but I don't think it's debatable whether or not he could be in some big matchups in lower orgs that use his name to market. So perhaps all of this is more about marketing the UFC's product than the talent of Kingsbury himself. Just food for thought, I guess.

I mean, if you really think about it the UFC has everything to gain. If he loses, they can cut his contract with losses on his record (therefore destroying his marketability) and if he wins, then they've got a competitor on their hands with a backstory already familiar to the fans

Last edited 5/8/09 6:54PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   5/8/09 6:52:05PM