Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kyle Maynard Loses Unsanctioned MMA Debut

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,810-1,057
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Kyle Maynard, a congenital amputee that garnered much attention for his successes in wrestling and submission grappling, was unsuccessful in his mixed martial arts debut on Saturday night. Maynard lost a unanimous decision to Bryan Fry in an unsanctioned bout in Auburn, Ala., according to an Associated Press report.

Despite initial plans to the contrary, Maynard did not wear gloves during the fight, which was apparently due to high levels of humidity in the arena making them difficult to secure to his shortened limbs. Without gloves, Maynard was not allowed to throw punches during the bout, although Fry, wearing gloves, was allowed to punch.

LINK

Post #1   4/26/09 6:37:56AM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,543-892
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
How the hell does he even fight...

Post #2   4/26/09 10:05:45AM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
Good for him! I used to work with developmentally disabled kids and their only true handicap is what people think of them. I don't see why everyone was so scared for him. The worst thing that could happen to him is he gets beat up! Why can't he get beat up like anyone else!

Post #3   4/26/09 10:40:33AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by soundboy1

Good for him! I used to work with developmentally disabled kids and their only true handicap is what people think of them. I don't see why everyone was so scared for him. The worst thing that could happen to him is he gets beat up! Why can't he get beat up like anyone else!

actually the worst thing that could happen to him is he could die :( however that doesnt happen often im MMA (only 1 time) and more than likely the worse that happens is a small injury. Im just saying there is that possiblity cause i hate it when people say whats the worse that could happen i got KOed, etc.....

Post #4   4/26/09 11:13:29AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by soundboy1

But he's not like everyone else, he has no arms or legs. This is a sport where you need all of those attributes.

Post #5   4/26/09 1:57:22PM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:
honestly, i'm all down for disabled people having every right, but this is to an extreme. he's trying to participate in a sport in which the only way you can win is to KO someone, or submit someone; both of which you need arms/legs for.

Post #6   4/26/09 2:04:38PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,810-1,057
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Last edited 4/26/09 2:09PM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #7   4/26/09 2:06:05PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by soundboy1

But he's not like everyone else, he has no arms or legs. This is a sport where you need all of those attributes.

In all fairness the guy he fought was so concentrated about not getting taken down that he only landed 6 successful blows on Kyle the entire fight.

Maynard has legitamate wrestling skills and has shown impressive grappling knowledge in grappling tourny's ive seen of him.

Plus headkicks werent allowed since he is technically a downed opponent.

If anything the fact that hes so low to the ground makes it really hard to land something meaningful on him. I bet he can slip punches like a pro. Have you seen how fast he can charge at you(I pictured a horse running and i feel really bad right now), im sure with the proper technique he could get in and out of striking range faster than most people could react and capitalize.

Last edited 4/26/09 5:08PM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/26/09 5:08:20PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

honestly, i'm all down for disabled people having every right, but this is to an extreme. he's trying to participate in a sport in which the only way you can win is to KO someone, or submit someone; both of which you need arms/legs for.

or hold them down and win a decision.

with the weight he doesnt have from calves and forearms hes capable of being alot stronger than another person in his weight class. Team that up with technique and you could very well have a takedown artist.

One that can easily slip through your guard.

Post #9   4/26/09 5:10:36PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
This whole situation kind of puts a giant crap stain on MMA. There's no logic behind this at all.

No Head kicks
No gloves for Maynard
He basically can't stand up
You have one guy who's 3x the size, with gloves and all limbs to fight with.
Maynard can hardly guard his face and absorb blows.
One guy can't throw punches.

I expect major heat on MMA especially since this was an unsanctioned event.
I'm all for disabled athletes, but come on... this is not necessary.

Post #10   4/26/09 5:28:48PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by loller90278

Theres a video of him subbing someone at a NAGA tournament with an arm triangle. He has an 135lb torso that benchpresses 360lbs, and hes fighting guys whos entire body are 135lbs.

He should have every right to do this, but he'll never be successful because he has no ability to close range in a non-pure grappling fight.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   4/26/09 8:49:54PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Chips:
Anyone who has a problem with this should keep their nose in their own business. I have friends who've come back from the war amputees, and I bet several of them could wipe the floor with your pansy ass. I play football all the time with a guy with one arm. He can catch and tackle just fine... and we do not take it easy on him. Kyle Maynard has been training for this. Let the guy have a chance to follow his dream, and if you have a problem with it keep your insecurity at being half the man a half-man is to yourself.

Sorry... but there is some stupid in this thread. Show some respect for a man who is trying to overcome real hardship.

Post #12   4/26/09 9:30:08PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,737-1,519
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Anyone who has a problem with this should keep their nose in their own business. I have friends who've come back from the war amputees, and I bet several of them could wipe the floor with your pansy ass. I play football all the time with a guy with one arm. He can catch and tackle just fine... and we do not take it easy on him. Kyle Maynard has been training for this. Let the guy have a chance to follow his dream, and if you have a problem with it keep your insecurity at being half the man a half-man is to yourself.

Sorry... but there is some stupid in this thread. Show some respect for a man who is trying to overcome real hardship.

I don't have a problem with Kyle wanting to do this...more power to him to. The problem I have is that any Athletic Commission that gives this the green light is not doing their job.

Post #13   4/27/09 11:11:35AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

*golf clap*

Post #14   4/27/09 11:23:12AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by ncordless

I don't have a problem with Kyle wanting to do this...more power to him to. The problem I have is that any Athletic Commission that gives this the green light is not doing their job.

There was no athletic commision involved, hence why it was an unsanctioned amateur match.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #15   4/27/09 1:12:29PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2