Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Swick hopeful ‘exciting win in Germany’ over Ben Saunders will earn him a title shot

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“I think it will be very exciting! He is a tough opponent who is scrappy and likes to clinch and bang. I definitely will want to bang so it should be good!I just fight who they tell me. Ben’s name came up as an available opponent and I said ok…. I think an exciting win in Germany will grant me a title shot. At least, thats what I hope.”

LINK1

LINK2

Post #1   4/24/09 2:46:26PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
I don't see that happening he needs to step up his competition a little. There are to many other top guys in that division to beat to think a win over Ben Saunders will get you a title shot.

Post #2   4/24/09 2:49:48PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Ben Saunders to a title shot? Really? I think there are MANY guys at WW angling for a shot before Swick. He's just banking on his reputation as a fighter from TUF, but he has yet to fight a top 10 guy at WW. So how about facing some quality opposition before calling for the shot. This is why I prefer the fighters who just say they want to fight whoever is in front of them, not calling for an instant shot. Let's take a look at the old record here Mike .. hmmm... UD over Davis, that's going... Burkman .. isn't he on his way out ... Oh and Goulet .. the eternal journeyman / gatekeeper. Ok, so you got a long way to go in one of the most talent filled divisions in the UFC... how about you fight Jon Fitch next .. beat him and then maybe a shot

Post #3   4/24/09 3:27:59PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
Let me get this straight... a win over a guy who has never fought a top 10, lets you leapfrog everyone like:

koscheck... oops, he's lost 2 of his last 3
hughes... oops, he's coming off two loses and will probably retire after serra
davis... oops, already beat him
condit... oops, coming off a loss
karo... lets be serious...
sanchez.. dropped a weight class
fitch.. has only fought once since his title shot, not enough to earn another
serra... ya right
kampmann... coming off a split decision win over a debatable top10

well it turns out that swick can make about as much of an agument for a title shot as the rest of the top10... but fortunately for us we wont need to designate a number1 contender until at least the fall. By that time swick will have the opportunity to face a real contender and actually prove whether or not he deserves a title shot. I'd love to see swick and kampmann, swick and condit, swick... but not sure he'd be able to get past koscheck or fitch

Post #4   4/24/09 3:28:38PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

A victorious Swick vs Fitch in a few months.

Kampmann vs Koscheck. That'll settle a few things.

Post #5   4/24/09 3:44:02PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Fight Matrix currently has Ben Saunders ranked #64, which is pretty accurate in my opinion. It's a good matchup of styles, with both fighters having good standup, and a contrast of Swick's wrestlings, and Saunders' BJJ. It's an exciting matchup, but Swick's manager should have been more cognizant of the potantial ramifications of this bout.

Saunder's has little to lose, but a lot to gain--whereas Swick doesn't have much to gain, but a lot to lose.

That said, I do think a win by Swick will procure him a matchup with a top ten opponent, that could lead to a title shot--so the matchup makes sense to an extent, because otherwise I could see Swick having to take on two top ten fighters to get a crack at the title. This is a bit of an easier road for him, so while their are pitfalls to his current matchup, I think the road to the title could have been much more difficult.

Post #6   4/24/09 3:59:31PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
havent leaned towards anyone in this fight since it was mentioned forever ago, just don't know???

Post #7   4/24/09 4:09:55PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,762-939
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Such a long way for Mike, its not such a "quick" road to the top of 170

He needs to beat Saunders first, then maybe winner of Hardy/Davis and then probably one more fight after that before I would even consider a title shot for him.

edit: duh he beat Davis already at 85. My bad... so probably condit/kampmann after a win over saunders, then one more after that... maybe against AKA if he wants it that badly. (he cant beat Fitch though)

Last edited 4/24/09 4:22PM server time by KaibaThedon
Edit note/reason: n/a

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #8   4/24/09 4:20:08PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Who else is ready for a title shot?

If Thales Leites can get a title shot, then Swick should get a shot if he beats Saunders. But Alves vs Swick would be nice.

but I have saunders beating Swick.

Post #9   4/24/09 4:38:10PM   

slappywhite

MMA Regular

slappywhite Avatar

Career:806-546
Camp: Bobbaganoosh
Chips:
swick is delusional

Post #10   4/24/09 5:47:06PM   

buell613

Learning to Sprawl

buell613 Avatar

Career:1,820-1,162
Chips:
Swick is legit.....his only loss in the UFC is to Okami...who is waaaaaaayyy bigger then him. I was actually rooting for the Rumble Johnson vs Swick fight. But Saunders is no joke, anyone see the groosum hematoma he left on his last victim's head? Seriously it was sick! I am a Swick fan....but i also believe that he needs to fight one of his training partners (Koscheck or Fitch) after he beats Saunders to get that title shot.

Post #11   4/24/09 5:56:02PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Swick said the wrong words "I like a clinch battle." If he tries to clinch up with Saunders he's going to get dominated. He needs to stick to his boxing and that's it. Don't put Ben on his back and don't get into a clinch war.

Post #12   4/24/09 6:35:15PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I think a lot of people ar going to underestimate Ben in this fight, but i think he could easily come away with a win in this match up......Ben will be the bigger fighter with a reach advantage and i believe he will be more skilled on the ground.....If Swick wins this fight is think it will be by staying on the outside and picking Ben apart to win the UD........

Post #13   4/24/09 7:11:57PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think a 7-1 record in the ufc merits a title shot

Post #14   4/24/09 8:59:54PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think a 7-1 record in the ufc merits a title shot

I agree. Yushin Okami deserves a title shot.

Swick is 8-1 in the UFC, but Goulet really doesn't count. (It's Goulet.) It will be 9-1 if Swick beats Saunders, and at that point it would be a crime to not consider him in line for a title shot or a direct title eliminator. At this point, unfortunately, I think Kampmann may be ahead in the rankings. A win over Condit is more impressive than anything Swick has done so far, which is why I think it's confusing for the UFC to make the fight with a relatively unknown (although very tough) Saunders.

I'd like to see Swick and Kampmann go at it for the rights to the title shot. That fight would be better than either losing to St. Pierre.

Post #15   4/24/09 11:56:07PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2