Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jeff Curran vs. Takeya Mizugaki In The Works For WEC 42

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
If Jeff Curran wants another fight in WEC and to ever get a shot at Miguel Torres, he's got to turn it around fast at WEC 42. Easier said than done-the planned fight in the works pits him against the man Torres just beat to retain the Bantamweight Title-Takeya Mizugaki. WEC 42 is planned for August and may feature Torres vs. Brian Bowles for the title.

Article

Post #1   4/24/09 1:29:59PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Another tough fight for Curran.

Post #2   4/24/09 1:46:04PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
On the feet Curran gets beat up, IMO. On the ground... well... we'll see I guess

Post #3   4/24/09 1:55:10PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,888-1,075
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

On the feet Curran gets beat up, IMO. On the ground... well... we'll see I guess

I don't know... I think Curran's boxing tech. might be better suited to deal with Takeya's striking than Torres's more muay thai-based striking.

Just a hunch

Post #4   4/24/09 2:32:23PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Jackelope

I don't know... I think Curran's boxing tech. might be better suited to deal with Takeya's striking than Torres's more muay thai-based striking.

Just a hunch

That's a good point, but I'm not sure if Curran is quite as fast as Mizugaki. Although I'd imagine he'll have quite a bit more size on him, so we'll see if he can make Mizugaki back up and out of his game or not.

Another thing I just got to thinking about is that against Torres he really didn't have to worry much about the takedown, so that may throw Mizugaki's striking game off, too.

So many different dynamics. It's why I love MMA!

Last edited 4/24/09 4:18PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/24/09 4:17:39PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Damn, Curran keeps disappointing me and i dont know if he can beat Mizu

Post #6   4/24/09 7:37:37PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,878-1,047
Chips:
Curran also has 7 inches less reach to keep Mizugaki off of him than what Miguel did.

Curran has quick hands but defensively i feel he leaves himself open and Mizugaki waded in really well against torres, miguel doesnt move away as good as curran does though, if The big frog wins i think it will have alot to do with mobility and footwork.

Post #7   4/24/09 11:51:14PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,888-1,075
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Curran also has 7 inches less reach to keep Mizugaki off of him than what Miguel did.

Curran has quick hands but defensively i feel he leaves himself open and Mizugaki waded in really well against torres, miguel doesnt move away as good as curran does though, if The big frog wins i think it will have alot to do with mobility and footwork.

Torres has the classic hispanic striking defense of using getting punched in the face to set up counter-striking. That and his modified thai stance made for a great match-up with Mizugaki because Mizu throws accurate haymakers which equaled some epic exchanges. Where Torres won the fight was when he quit settling for exchanges and used his jab.

Curran's boxing is pretty orthodox and he should be able to step in and throw the jab. Mizu will have a reach advantage, but his propensity for looping his punches will nullify that to a large degree. If Curran uses the jab to set up takedowns I think he has a real good chance in this one.

Post #8   4/26/09 3:37:03PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
Mizugaki by TKO...2nd round

Post #9   4/26/09 10:14:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Pookie

Torres has the classic hispanic striking defense of using getting punched in the face to set up counter-striking. That and his modified thai stance made for a great match-up with Mizugaki because Mizu throws accurate haymakers which equaled some epic exchanges. Where Torres won the fight was when he quit settling for exchanges and used his jab.

Curran's boxing is pretty orthodox and he should be able to step in and throw the jab. Mizu will have a reach advantage, but his propensity for looping his punches will nullify that to a large degree. If Curran uses the jab to set up takedowns I think he has a real good chance in this one.

LOL @ classic hispanic striking defense. So true.

You bring up some good points, but I am still curious to see how Curran deals with the speed of Mizugaki. If he plays in and out with the jab and keeps him fearing the takedown then Curran should do pretty well. If he decides he wants to stand and bang, I still think Mizugaki's speed will be too much for him.

It's Curran, though.. .so he'll probably play on the feet for a little bit and then secure the takedown

Post #10   4/26/09 10:57:43PM