Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White ‘embarassed’ with UFC 97 main event

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“I can honestly tell you that I’ve never put on an event that I was embarrassed to be at until tonight. I want to publicly apologize to all the fans…. I apologize. I personally apologize for what happened tonight. You guys know, this isn’t what the UFC was built on and this isn’t the way the fights usually go. Listen, any night you can have an off-night. When a guy is that talented and can literally end a fight whenever he wants to, wow.”

LINK

Post #1   4/19/09 1:41:53PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
outside of the Main Event i felt the other fights were entertaining

Post #2   4/19/09 2:34:03PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

I agreee.

Post #3   4/19/09 2:56:02PM   

Mayo

Standup Guy

Mayo Avatar

Career:261-179
Camp: Downtown Chi-Town
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Dana said “When a guy is that talented and can literally end a fight whenever he wants to, wow.”

Dana has a point... Anderson Silva is so good that he was just toying with Leites (much like he was toying with Cote too). So what it really comes down to is Dana needs to get Silva a decent opponent. Like Dana says when Silva is that good, that he can just fool around in the ring and get away with it, that is a sign that he's getting bored and needs a challenge.

Actually Silva should just move up a weight class. That's what most fighters do when they're looking for a challenge.

Post #4   4/19/09 4:48:32PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Smeone should just remind AS that he was submitted by Ryo Chonan so he should friggin fight.

Post #5   4/19/09 4:57:29PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,509-1,360
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I can't help but to agree with Dana here.

Post #6   4/19/09 5:01:55PM   

markshark23

Learning to Sprawl

markshark23 Avatar

Career:477-363
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Dana White owes me $45 for a horrible waste on a Pay Per View. I wonder if he's "sorry" enough to give us the next PPV for free?

That would only be fair.

I thought the whole night was boring. The worst PPV in history, IMO.

Post #7   4/19/09 5:07:30PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I didnt order it. But I almost did. Whew

Post #8   4/19/09 5:08:09PM   

dreius

Learning to Sprawl

Career:82-53
Chips:
Really!! I have no doubt that Anderson was screwing around with Cote in their fight because I was there and that ticked me off. However, I don't blame Anderson for what happened on Saturday. Thales Leites threw himself to his back anytime that Silva got close to him. I mean for crying out loud even Joe pointed it out during the fight. I understand if you're a Jiu Jitsu fighter and you want to avoid the striking of someone that good but after the second round Leites barely did anything to actually attack. Trust me it was not the fight I wanted to see but I don't blame Anderson. I don't think Maia is ready for a fight with AS yet but I think he would at least put in more of an effort to get the fight to the ground consistently and not just throw himself on the floor every time Anderson looked like he was going to clinch or punch him in the face. Just my opinion.

Post #9   4/19/09 5:24:29PM   

LakieMan

MMA Regular

LakieMan Avatar

Career:66-40
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

Yup, agreed, the main event killed it.

Post #10   4/19/09 5:26:44PM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
alright GSP vs Anderson for the MW title, anyone????

Post #11   4/19/09 5:40:25PM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
I'm hoping that the fans will realize that you can't rely on a card being good because of the star power on it or the match ups... you need both.

If you told the uninformed mma fan that chuck liddell and anderson silva were both fighting at ufc 97, they'd first ask if they were fighting each other, but even when you told them that they were in different weight classes, they'd probably still tell you that this had to be the most amazing card that the ufc has ever put on. Unfortunately after they watch the card, they'll realize otherwise. I personally dont think that this was the worst ufc ppv of all times... but I would put it in the bottom 25%. I think that anybody who thinks that it was the worst card of all time is hating on the fact that chuck got knocked out in the first round and was paying far too much attention to the main event.

What this tells us (and hopefully joe silva/dana white) is that you can't bank on your ppv draws for a good card.. you gotta put some serious thought into match making as well. FOTN more often than not is between middle tier fighters and is a result of match making. We've seen amazing cards that obviously needed a little more star power, but most true fans would rather see an exciting fight like guida vs huerta than silva vs leites.

Chuck and Shogun should NOT have been fighting each other at this stage of their career because giving either of them a loss would've been devastating and a win over the other gives only questionable merit. With shogun's win over liddell I'm seriously questioning Liddell's chin.. had liddell won, it probably would've been blamed on shogun's cardio or something else. Both could've fought someone that they matched up well against and seeing both get a solid win on this card would've made the world a better place. I personally think liddell is done.. but I would've liked him to find out another way.

Not the worst card of all time (the miller/stout match and the cane/cantwell matches were both wars).. and i'm sure that the shogun fans will say it was a better card than the chuck fans will, but at least we can learn something from it, and hopefully the ufc did as well.

PS, as disappointing as 97 was, I've been pumped for 98 for a long time... I have a feeling we'll forget about this card quite easily

Post #12   4/19/09 5:58:24PM   

LakieMan

MMA Regular

LakieMan Avatar

Career:66-40
Chips:

Posted by Loot613

alright GSP vs Anderson for the MW title, anyone????

I would love to see it, but I dont think it will happen though. Anderson is going to light heavy.

Post #13   4/19/09 6:12:33PM   

P4P-Bettor

Learning to Sprawl

P4P-Bettor Avatar

Career:1,613-978
Chips:
Are there any thoughts from Silva about his own performance last night?

I don't think you can only blame Silva for a boring to watch fight. Leites wasn't exactly going at Silva either. I don't really blame him though. Who wants to get stuck in a clinch or a stand up war with Silva?

Post #14   4/19/09 6:24:13PM   

Lethal

MMA Regular

Lethal Avatar

Career:165-104
Camp: Team Mafia
Chips:
A man retains his belt by whatever means he can and he gets critisized for it. I don't care whether or not Silva was toying with him. Exactly how many UFC championships has Dana White, or any other critics, earned?

MMA is a sport. Entertainment is secondary. If entertainment was the number one priority then they might as well become another WWE. Maybe it's just me but I don't watch fights just for cool looking moves. These are some of the best fighters in the world and it's easy to be a critic when your[/] belt's not on the line.

Post #15   4/19/09 6:29:36PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2