Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Silva not winning over fans or boss

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm blown away that basically everyone is defending Silva here. Anderson's performance last night was a joke as far as I'm concerned. There's a very big difference between being a defensive counter-puncher and making absolutely no effort whatsoever to finish the fight. He wasn't just being defensive, there were dozens of times where he had huge openings to attack without putting himself at risk and he decided to dance, slap his opponents feet with his hands, sit down on the ground to mock him, and so much more.

Basically every single time Thales took a shot anderson would just push him to the ground and walk away without making any attempt to hit him. He caught his kick in the exact same manner that he finished James Irvin but again made absolutely no effort to score damage, he just caught his foot, pushed him over, and walked away. There were so many openings for him to score damage that he simply refused to take.

Anderson was not simply staying out of harm's way, he was not fighting. I don't know if he's staging some kind of protest, if he thinks his latest opponents are not worth his time or what, but that fight was embarrassing and I'm glad Dana stepped out and said something instead of trying to defend him. I am no longer looking forward to seeing Anderson fight, I'll be praying for a great co-main event next time he headlines a card.

Post #16   4/19/09 12:40:41PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

leites looked bad like a coward he hit the ground everytime silva took a swing at him i think i counted over 15 times leites hit the ground

silva can't fight a match like that when both fighters don't wanna engage
if he fights maia next it will be same thing

i agree that thales didnt look well but you must not watch much of maia. he is not afraid to engage and he gets takedowns on people, not just fall to the mat. he took down sonnen his last fight, and silva is weakest at his TD def. maia has not had a fight goto distance yet, not sure why all of a sudden he would just lay down for 5 rounds

Post #17   4/19/09 12:42:00PM   

LakieMan

MMA Regular

LakieMan Avatar

Career:66-40
Chips:
Anderson needs to move to 205 for a "while", not just for one fight. How I see it is Anderson has swept the Middleweight division clean, except for Bisping, who in my opinion gets the next shot, that or Maia. I think Anderson would put on some crazy fights with some light heavyweights.JMO

Post #18   4/19/09 1:01:47PM   

bigox420

MMA Regular

bigox420 Avatar

Career:1,065-795
Chips:
Is it me or did anyone else see Anderson wiping off his face (after appying vaseline ) and rubbing it all over his chest? I am not saying it would have changed the out come but with all the s**t that GSP went through and I don't think anybody even noticed it in this fight. I seen it right after they put the vaseline on his face before entering and then again when the camera was in his face.

I know it did not look good for Thales but if Anderson is such a good counter striker then why would Thales want to throw more punches. I think that is the only reason it went 5 rounds. Was a very boring fight to say the least.

Post #19   4/19/09 1:04:02PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,516-872
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:
I guess I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed watching Silva fight for more than a minute or two. I think people have their expectations way too high for Anderson Silva. If something other than a KO in the first round happens in a fight, he gets booed and disrespected. I dont remember a crowd that ever booed or chanted "bullsh!t" when Micheal Jordan had a bad game.

Post #20   4/19/09 1:17:53PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm blown away that basically everyone is defending Silva here. Anderson's performance last night was a joke as far as I'm concerned. There's a very big difference between being a defensive counter-puncher and making absolutely no effort whatsoever to finish the fight. He wasn't just being defensive, there were dozens of times where he had huge openings to attack without putting himself at risk and he decided to dance, slap his opponents feet with his hands, sit down on the ground to mock him, and so much more.

Basically every single time Thales took a shot anderson would just push him to the ground and walk away without making any attempt to hit him. He caught his kick in the exact same manner that he finished James Irvin but again made absolutely no effort to score damage, he just caught his foot, pushed him over, and walked away. There were so many openings for him to score damage that he simply refused to take.

Anderson was not simply staying out of harm's way, he was not fighting. I don't know if he's staging some kind of protest, if he thinks his latest opponents are not worth his time or what, but that fight was embarrassing and I'm glad Dana stepped out and said something instead of trying to defend him. I am no longer looking forward to seeing Anderson fight, I'll be praying for a great co-main event next time he headlines a card.

Your entire post is rediculous........It's hard to keep active when you throw a punch and your opponent just falls to the ground.....

Post #21   4/19/09 1:31:47PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Come up with some actual counter-arguments next time you quote someone. Your post completely avoids addressing about half a dozen salient points and specific examples just off of the top of my head.

Obviously you're unable to formulate a logical counter-argument, so why bother entering a discussion with me if you have nothing to say?

Post #22   4/19/09 1:49:47PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
If people want to complain so much, they can fight Anderson and take his title with what they deem an exciting style. I'm sure it would really work out in their favor.

Post #23   4/19/09 1:58:31PM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
Fights like that arent what puts butts in the seats! No one wants to see 2 people avoid each other for 25 min. It looked like someone with alot of money wanted to see that one go to decision! Thats not how the ufc got to where it is today.

Post #24   4/19/09 2:00:55PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by tn_rebel

Fights like that arent what puts butts in the seats! No one wants to see 2 people avoid each other for 25 min. It looked like someone with alot of money wanted to see that one go to decision! Thats not how the ufc got to where it is today.

And here lies the difference between a sport, and sports entertainment. One is between two people/teams attempting to defeat each other, whichever way they can. Sports entertainment is staged, and the performers are only trying to entertain people. Exciting fights are obviously preferable, but we shan't cry foul every time there's a boring main event.

Post #25   4/19/09 2:04:08PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by tn_rebel

And here lies the difference between a sport, and sports entertainment. One is between two people/teams attempting to defeat each other, whichever way they can. Sports entertainment is staged, and the performers are only trying to entertain people. Exciting fights are obviously preferable, but we shan't cry foul every time there's a boring main event.

Playing devil's advocate here-

You may be right in saying this, but do we have a right to cry foul when it's the second consecutive time it has happened?

Post #26   4/19/09 2:32:32PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Posted by tn_rebel

Right, because real sports fans do not boo. Take a look at the most historic franchise in sports history.. the New York Yankees. The Yankees fans are steeped in tradition... and you never hear any boos just because they are not playing as well as they'd like!

Oh, wait...

Post #27   4/19/09 2:44:00PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Good post! I feel exactly the same way! Their is a line you can cross from being flamboyant and elusive to being disrespectful and evading the fight.
As posted above Silva had chance after chance to inflict damage and didn't. It wasn't going to be a barn burner between two of the best MW but Silva's actions in this fight have brought him down in my opinion.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #28   4/19/09 2:47:03PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
i put it on both fighters,
Thales simply wouldn't fight he was backing up and falling on the floor for 5 rounds.
Silva simply didn't care about finishing the fight, he did do some creative strikes like that front kick to the knee but i think if he really wanted to he could have finished the fight but he simply didn't care to.

Post #29   4/19/09 2:55:02PM   

Hillbilly

Learning to Sprawl

Career:289-177
Chips:
They need to only give title fights to fighters that want to be a champion. Thales just looked like he didn't care about losing and I'm sure that fight made a lot of contenders feel sick.

Post #30   4/19/09 2:59:10PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3