Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"Anderson Sucks/ Is OverRated" Blah Blah Blah...

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Hillbilly

Learning to Sprawl

Career:289-177
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

I said recently that in the Cote fight Anderson was starting to fight "cute" and caught a little flack for it.
I definitely do not retract my statement. Anderson Silva is a great fighter, but until he gets past this "shucking and jiving" "cuteness" garbage he is doing right now it's hard to think of him as the 1 p4p.

Punching the leg and hammerfisting the ankle are not the kind of offense the best employ. Would GSP or Fedor ever do crap like that?

I love Genki Sudo, but he was never a top fighter because he was too gimmicky and cute. Anderson has looked alot like Genki recently.

Anderson is really reminding me of Roy Jones Jr. in his prime right now... maybe they should box.

I recognize that neither Cote or Thales offered much offense, but that is going to be the way people fight Anderson. Limit the exchanges as much as possible, play defense, and try to take the fight to the ground. If Anderson is going to literally dance around waiting for his opponent to engage him on the feet he should think about "Dancing with the Stars" where his talents will be appreciated.

If that is the way people are going to fight him from now on then Silva is going to have a long career of winning decisively and never taking any damage whatsoever.

Post #31   4/19/09 2:52:32PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
If this fight was in a cage in Japan it would have gone so much different.
Poor Thales would not have been able to fall on his back every time something happened for fear of a foot stomping.
Silva did what he could and stayed off the ground to the best of his abilities.He fought the fight that he wanted to fight.
Thales should be blamed for the poor fight or the whole fall on my back strategy!

Post #32   4/19/09 2:52:49PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Mattchoo

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Mattchoo

Looks to me that someone is a little bored with the poor level of competition they'r being fed. He probably sees fighting Leites as disrespectful to his superior skill set so in return gives a fight like that were he didnt look like he was trying in many cases, nor putting much effort in or respect to his opponent.

But as soon as he gets a high caliber fighter like Franklin or Henderson he puts on a fantastic performance and rinses them inside 2 rounds.

He gives what he gets basicly its pretty damn obvious to me.

That's what I saw as well. He could've ended the fight whenever he chose to...he chose not to. He wasn't choosing low risk attacks, he was choosing attacks that just pestered his opponent without taking him out. He would punch him in the face now and then to remind Thales that he was in a fight, but he just toyed with him the whole time. Why punch someone in the leg from a standing position? It's much riskier than punching someone in the face...and there's less reward to boot. He did it because he could. I just hope his next opponent is up to par, or I have a feeling we'll see another one of these type of fights.

Exactly, someone of Andersons caliber can hit you when and wherever he likes. How is it not that obvious that he is deliberately fighting like that due to his sheer boredom? I see it all the time at training, he's fighting Cote and Leites like an advanced kickboxer fighting a very beginner in sparring.

UFC in my eyes are disrespecting his skills and should either get in some major talent to challenge him or move him up straight to a top contender spot in the LHW's. Theyr wasting him at middleweight aslong as they keep up with these opponents.

Hes not even one of my favourite fighters and it pisses me off with what people come out with like them sherdog links and how the UFC are treating him in terms of fights..

It might be true that Anderson is bored. He did look that way. But what does it say about someone if "He could've ended the fight whenever he chose to...he chose not to"? Shouldn't a fighter be looking to end the fight? Especially if he is "bored" with it? If he can really end the fight at any time, why would he choose to dance instead? What does that say about his mentality as a fighter? At the very least it speaks to a lack of killer instinct. I think blaming the performance on boredom is actually a pretty big slam on Anderson.
In reality, Thales was following the gameplan that Cote used. Keep the action to a minimum, don't attack, wait for a mistake. Thales' version of that plan was even more boring because it involved taking it to the ground, something he couldn't do very well. Anderson is not taking the bait to be aggresive (something I think he could win doing), and instead is resorting to all kinds of "cute" stuff. The push kicks to the knees were nice, but punching the leg is silly. I can see a lot of fights going this way for Anderson as fighters quit engaging with him.

Post #33   4/19/09 3:10:54PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:

Posted by Hillbilly

Posted by ncordless

I said recently that in the Cote fight Anderson was starting to fight "cute" and caught a little flack for it.
I definitely do not retract my statement. Anderson Silva is a great fighter, but until he gets past this "shucking and jiving" "cuteness" garbage he is doing right now it's hard to think of him as the 1 p4p.

Punching the leg and hammerfisting the ankle are not the kind of offense the best employ. Would GSP or Fedor ever do crap like that?

I love Genki Sudo, but he was never a top fighter because he was too gimmicky and cute. Anderson has looked alot like Genki recently.

Anderson is really reminding me of Roy Jones Jr. in his prime right now... maybe they should box.

I recognize that neither Cote or Thales offered much offense, but that is going to be the way people fight Anderson. Limit the exchanges as much as possible, play defense, and try to take the fight to the ground. If Anderson is going to literally dance around waiting for his opponent to engage him on the feet he should think about "Dancing with the Stars" where his talents will be appreciated.

If that is the way people are going to fight him from now on then Silva is going to have a long career of winning decisively and never taking any damage whatsoever.

although... judges had it 50-46, 49-46, and 48-47 so Thales won some rounds on the scorecards and got a tied round on another.

Last edited 4/19/09 3:16PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #34   4/19/09 3:12:36PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
are these the expectations we as ufc fans have for our champs? ok he was bored, the best way to end that bordem is to have a "take no prisoners" attitude and end his opponents night early. not act like he's better and piss around for 25 minutes. I dont care who he's fighting, his attitude should be that as it was when he won the title and had some good defenses, that being put it all on the line and go gunnin for some teeth. p4p best my ass, not after these last two fights. I think dana needs to pull the air hose out of andersons ass and let his head deflate a little bit, he's still gettin paid to FIGHT not play it safe.

Post #35   4/19/09 3:14:37PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Mattchoo

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Mattchoo

Looks to me that someone is a little bored with the poor level of competition they'r being fed. He probably sees fighting Leites as disrespectful to his superior skill set so in return gives a fight like that were he didnt look like he was trying in many cases, nor putting much effort in or respect to his opponent.

But as soon as he gets a high caliber fighter like Franklin or Henderson he puts on a fantastic performance and rinses them inside 2 rounds.

He gives what he gets basicly its pretty damn obvious to me.

That's what I saw as well. He could've ended the fight whenever he chose to...he chose not to. He wasn't choosing low risk attacks, he was choosing attacks that just pestered his opponent without taking him out. He would punch him in the face now and then to remind Thales that he was in a fight, but he just toyed with him the whole time. Why punch someone in the leg from a standing position? It's much riskier than punching someone in the face...and there's less reward to boot. He did it because he could. I just hope his next opponent is up to par, or I have a feeling we'll see another one of these type of fights.

Exactly, someone of Andersons caliber can hit you when and wherever he likes. How is it not that obvious that he is deliberately fighting like that due to his sheer boredom? I see it all the time at training, he's fighting Cote and Leites like an advanced kickboxer fighting a very beginner in sparring.

UFC in my eyes are disrespecting his skills and should either get in some major talent to challenge him or move him up straight to a top contender spot in the LHW's. Theyr wasting him at middleweight aslong as they keep up with these opponents.

Hes not even one of my favourite fighters and it pisses me off with what people come out with like them sherdog links and how the UFC are treating him in terms of fights..

It might be true that Anderson is bored. He did look that way. But what does it say about someone if "He could've ended the fight whenever he chose to...he chose not to"? Shouldn't a fighter be looking to end the fight? Especially if he is "bored" with it? If he can really end the fight at any time, why would he choose to dance instead? What does that say about his mentality as a fighter? At the very least it speaks to a lack of killer instinct. I think blaming the performance on boredom is actually a pretty big slam on Anderson.
In reality, Thales was following the gameplan that Cote used. Keep the action to a minimum, don't attack, wait for a mistake. Thales' version of that plan was even more boring because it involved taking it to the ground, something he couldn't do very well. Anderson is not taking the bait to be aggresive (something I think he could win doing), and instead is resorting to all kinds of "cute" stuff. The push kicks to the knees were nice, but punching the leg is silly. I can see a lot of fights going this way for Anderson as fighters quit engaging with him.

I'm not sure what it says about him, but I'm personally just calling it as I see it. I wish I could pick Anderson's brain for an hour, but I can't. Why he chooses to do this, I'm not quite sure...but, I definitely saw someone who was holding back and not just being overly cautious as some were insinuating.

Post #36   4/19/09 3:33:39PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
I think the best thing that can happen to Anderson right now is for him to have a slice of humble pie, suffering defeat after being on top has done wonders for fighters in the past (chuck, randy, faber, gsp, and many more). Sometimes thats what it takes for a fighter to be brought back from the brink of "rock stardem" , and we all know that "rock star" attitude has taken the careers of many many many men and women in all facets of entertainment.

Post #37   4/19/09 3:41:30PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,629-1,436
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by scobac

are these the expectations we as ufc fans have for our champs? ok he was bored, the best way to end that bordem is to have a "take no prisoners" attitude and end his opponents night early. not act like he's better and piss around for 25 minutes. I dont care who he's fighting, his attitude should be that as it was when he won the title and had some good defenses, that being put it all on the line and go gunnin for some teeth. p4p best my ass, not after these last two fights. I think dana needs to pull the air hose out of andersons ass and let his head deflate a little bit, he's still gettin paid to FIGHT not play it safe.

We dont have unrealistic expectations for our champs. Not every fighter is going to look amazing every single time they fight. And people need to stop putting all the blame on Silva. He was trying to engage thales but leites wouldnt bite and was also "playing it safe". Silva didn't feel like getting submitted by a beast in jj, can you blame him? Both fighters are to blame for the outcome of the fight.

Post #38   4/19/09 4:35:06PM   

miphi1991

MMA Regular

Career:80-51
Chips:
Anyone who has trained in kickboxing would understand and appreciate the demostration that Silva put on Leities last night. The best Leites did was cover up or fall over, he couldn't even throw back because Silva would've taken that opening and creamed him. So those who are saying Silva is overrated can shutup because he has dominated everyone. Yes EVERYONE. Cote and Leites may not of been knocked out but they were dominated.

The other stab at him is that he is too cocky. Watching the interviews shows how much respect he gives even the sub-par fighters the UFC is feeding him should shoot that down, but if you need more evidence that Silva is humble look at last night. Not jumping into Leites' guard or throwing reckless strikes wasn't lazy, it was smart! And it shows that he knows he is human. He fights where he wins, and who wouldn't if they won that much.

Last thing is people are asking who else can give Silva an exciting fight. One word : Wanderlei. Hes coming down to middleweight and he has always been a agressive striker. I hope that is what Anderson Silva was talking about in the post fight when he said Dana has a plan for him because I guarantee Wandy won't be scared to exchange, and he definitly won't be pulling guard.

Post #39   4/19/09 6:38:53PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't care what anyone says he has the right to showboat hes the best in the world if a guy doesn't want to fight back why not have fun kicking the **** out of him Bisping is around the corner after he beats Hendo he is gonna get KTFO by Anderson. or we'll see him at 205 anyway I hope we see 15-0 before Silva retires from the UFC

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #40   4/19/09 8:09:29PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
This would never happen in Japan.

Post #41   4/20/09 9:00:00AM   

Dom_Diegos

Learning to Sprawl

Dom_Diegos Avatar

Career:1,080-784
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
If he is this great fighter & soooo bored then why not just end the fight? Why put on a boring fight if he can end it at anytime why not do it? Alot of ppl are pissed about this fight including zuffa, white & alot of fans. It's very simple, he had thales dominated & it was very clear he was bored to death...............so just end the fight then knock him out, ko, tko whatever, anything but play with him for 5 rounds. horrible performance specially after saying he was upset with the cote fight......whatever. horrible performance from both men.
Oh, & i have trained in kick boxing for many years & unless I was told to be easy on a new fighter sparring I would, but in the ring when I knew I was a class or more above I ended itthe best way I could. Would much rather be remembered for destroying a rookie or underclassed opponent than be remembered for punching him in the knee of all things

Post #42   4/20/09 10:22:23AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Jackelope

I have to laugh at some of the parallels being drawn here. Let's get one thing perfectly clear that I don't think people are realizing-

Thales Leites not engaging Anderson Silva on the feet is the EXACT same as Anderson Silva being unwilling to enter Thales Leites' guard. One fighter knows the other is good in one area, so they're unwilling to get into a fight there.

imo it is the challenger's responsibility to take the fight to the champ because the the champion has something the challenger should want. On the other hand, the champion is perfectly in the right to play a conservative game and stay away from his opponents because champ needs to keep the belt.

If you read the rest of the original post you'll see that I agree

To me you seemed to say you agreed but still faulted Silva for not engaging.
I guess i was just too dumb to understand. haha.

Post #43   4/20/09 12:18:19PM   

ToeZup

Standup Guy

ToeZup Avatar

Career:310-202
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
Both fighters did play a part in creating this widespread negative reaction. Thales for "canvas-backing" and not fighting and Anderson for not finishing the fight and showboating.

In the end you almost can't blame fighters though. Thales is just not ready for a fighter like Silva and Silva is bored with finishing fights in his locker room with a sparing partner because the competition isn't there.

So I look at it like it just wasn't meant to be an epic fight. Thales needs to go back and train with what he learned and Silva needs to fight the absolute best. I was getting frustrated too but fights like that are bound to happen from time to time.

Post #44   4/20/09 1:11:05PM   

Dragoslav

MMA Regular

Career:16-10
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

You might want to go watch some Pride footage. Anderson has been this way for a long time. I remember when he came out to a Pride fight dancing like Michael Jackson.

Post #45   4/20/09 1:19:31PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4