Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

"Anderson Sucks/ Is OverRated" Blah Blah Blah...

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

TheHitmanTL

Standup Guy

TheHitmanTL Avatar

Career:237-188
Chips:
Ok so i get back from watching ufc 97 go on sherdog and other mma forums...and whats the first thing i see?? andersons lost his fire...or anderson sucks...hes becoming sylvia blah blah blah....ENOUGH !! what i saw in the main event was...anderson trying to get thales to fight him...Thales was not engaging and doin nothing to win that fight.....how are you supposed to fight someone thats not fighting back and running away?? its alot harder than one may think...and what was anderson supposed to do...the only thing thales did good in this fight was take anderson out of his gameplan...anderson still has it....thales just didnt show up to fight.....anderson did from what i said. Anyways anderson is still the fighter i think he always has been its all about matchmaking my eyes....it wasnt his best performance ill givem that and if he fights like that against Maia....hell be in for a long night. But if he fights someone like GSP itll be awesome!! i guarantee it...anderson fights aas his competition does....if his opponent is going hard...anderson will turn it up and that wasnt the case tonight unfortunately.....

DISCUSS PLEASE =D

Post #1   4/19/09 4:04:45AM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:
my thoughts exactly, read my post, its simply title Thales Leites, i'm sure u'll agree with me

Post #2   4/19/09 4:08:34AM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by TheHitmanTL

Ok so i get back from watching ufc 97 go on sherdog and other mma forums...and whats the first thing i see?? andersons lost his fire...or anderson sucks...hes becoming sylvia blah blah blah....ENOUGH !! what i saw in the main event was...anderson trying to get thales to fight him...Thales was not engaging and doin nothing to win that fight.....how are you supposed to fight someone thats not fighting back and running away?? its alot harder than one may think...and what was anderson supposed to do...the only thing thales did good in this fight was take anderson out of his gameplan...anderson still has it....thales just didnt show up to fight.....anderson did from what i said. Anyways anderson is still the fighter i think he always has been its all about matchmaking my eyes....it wasnt his best performance ill givem that and if he fights like that against Maia....hell be in for a long night. But if he fights someone like GSP itll be awesome!! i guarantee it...anderson fights aas his competition does....if his opponent is going hard...anderson will turn it up and that wasnt the case tonight unfortunately.....

DISCUSS PLEASE =D

Post #3   4/19/09 4:28:15AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Well when he's hyped up to be a destroyer of anyone and the best fighter on the face of the earth he's obviously going to have hightened expectations, it's clear he is a great fighter, but he's not the p4p best.

Post #4   4/19/09 4:58:11AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Someone saved me the trouble of starting a thread about this, haha....

I actually thought silva's performance was just fine. He fought a tactical and intelligent fight. People forget that he trains with Lyoto Machida, and tonight he showed the elusiveness, the faints, and the high intelligence that Machida shows. Machida gets away with it because people are used to that from him, but silva's getting heat for it because everyone expects a highlight reel finish. It's MMA....Not all fights are gonna have a stoppage. Silva was in complete control the whole fight, and Thales has never been finished, even against Marquart or Kampmann. So while I was surprized at Anderson's gameplan and performance, I wasn't disappointed at all. THe casual fan might not like it, but there was alot to apprieciate in Silva's performance, Just not what we're used to. He had more of a Machida -type fight tonight, So I expect people who don't like Machida's style to not like this fight, but to me it showed more demensions of his game: His intelligence/movement, and the fact he can go 5 rounds.

Yes, I am a big silva fan, so I may be biased, but I hope there's SOMEBODY on the playground that saw what I saw and can apprieciate the performance tonight.

And if people say the fight is boring, I say that's leites's fault. After Silva survived on the ground with him, Leites practically stopped fighting. Its tough to fight when your opponet would rather flop to his back rather than engage. Chuck Liddel Said it perfectly at the press conference in a clip which will make headlines, since he kinda snapped at a reporter who was pestering silva about "being afraid to engage". Chuck said "What do you expect? He was attacking all 5 rounds and Leites just flopped to his back! It's fusterating for a striker when you hit a guy and he just flops!" (Check the press conference video on ufc.com. That part was actually very entertaining)

my two cents

Post #5   4/19/09 5:01:29AM   

TsekaPrivet

Learning to Sprawl

TsekaPrivet Avatar

Career:9-4
Chips:
I feel a loss approaching for Anderson...

He's become so dominant in the MW division that he taunts and dances around the opponents in order to please the crowd, and it never works.

He's learning English to make himself more marketable, seriously, WTF is this ****?

He's getting too cocky, and it's only appropriate that he loses because of it.

Who will deliver his next loss?

GSP? I think Anderson would get motivated for that fight and win.

Yushin Okami? Again, Anderson would like to avenge that "loss"

Demian Meia? Quite possibly, but unlikely.

Dan Henderson? Already experienced against him.

Demian Meia will KO Anderson in Serra-like fashion.

Post #6   4/19/09 5:07:21AM   

mentalcase

Crazy asshole

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,723-896
Chips:
i think part of the problem is they pump the fights up for soo long and becuase hes one of the greatest fights people think there will be fire works

they hype the **** out of every UFC so people buy it, and say it the best UFC ever like every time, so the expectation is so high the actual event wont live up to it

do your self a favour, from now on dont watch any UFC promo videos stay away from all the bull **** just look at the fight card so you know whats coming up and enjoy it when its on

Post #7   4/19/09 5:07:32AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,580-858
Chips:
The fact of the matter is, Anderson's got the belt...If a challenger wants it, then he needs to go take it. Anderson is a counter-puncher and he's already got the belt. If Leites isn't putting him in any trouble, then why should he endanger his championship status?

The ONLY reason why that was a poor fight was because Leites clearly is in a lower class of fighter. It was a mismatch from the get go. Leites was bring a knife to a gun fight and knew it. That's why he didn't engage; and Anderson wasn't about to take the fight into Leites world.

I didn't think the fight was nearly as bad as the mmajunkie play by play. But it wasn't a bout I'll seek out for a second helping.

And one final thing. I'm not sure how much I cared for the front leg kicks from Silva. Those appeared to have no other intention than to injure Leites knee. Just seemed like poor taste to me. Can you image what the reaction to this bout would have been if Silva busted up Leites knee late in the fourth after how the crowd responded to the first three rounds?! Montreal would be in flames right now.

I did find some humor in punching the thigh though, and for a moment or two it looked like they were playing footsie too. We get the message Spider.

Post #8   4/19/09 6:36:45AM   

SaskQUATCH

Going to UFC 111 next Baby!

SaskQUATCH Avatar

Career:803-496
Camp: BUSH League Brawlers
Chips:
Guys, I have watched every UFC. and UFC 97 is one of the worst ones in my books. I realize we have Anderson Silva fans on here and my opinion is not to upset them but only to show my disappointment.

I paid $54.99 CAD, to watch this PPV in HD. I very much enjoy when the fights are short and quick so that Zuffa will show some of the under card fights and we get our monies worth.

Tonight there were a couple good fights. But what upset me was the conceited and self absorbed behavior that was displayed by Anderson Silva, to prance around the ring like this is embarrassing, I did not want to see "dancing with the stars" (or clowns). To stand around and do his little princess dance or what ever you want to call it for 5 rounds and throw the odd jab and kick was disappointing. He is talented enough that he could have destroyed his opponent easily and quickly and impressed. Instead he wasted your time and my time and because of his reluctance to finish his opponent we were forced to watch him and not the additional under card fights. Was he wanting to get as much air time as possible?, playing safe to get the most consecutive wins record? This is the 2nd time he has done this and it was obvious the fans present were also upset.

Leites flopping on the ground cannot and is not the only reason for Silva's lack of fight, there is no way you can blame it solely on Leites. Silva had plaenty of opportunity to attack and he waited just as muchg as Leites. Silva typically wants people to attack him and he wants to counter, Leites didn't buy into it, so what was Silva's back up plan? dancing?

He has gone from "exciting" to "I will not pay for another pay per view if he is the headliner without some more exciting big names on the card to justify the cost". I don't think Anderson could sell out a stadium or pay per view after that, nor has he in the past. That is where Liddel came in. If it wasn't for Liddel vs. Rua this UFC would have been the biggest let down of all time. The Strike force PPV was a lot more entertaining that this.

Thanks A.S., can I get my PPV money back from your over paid earnings for your lack of performance?

Post #9   4/19/09 6:54:03AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,804-980
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

The fact of the matter is, Anderson's got the belt...If a challenger wants it, then he needs to go take it. Anderson is a counter-puncher and he's already got the belt. If Leites isn't putting him in any trouble, then why should he endanger his championship status?

The ONLY reason why that was a poor fight was because Leites clearly is in a lower class of fighter. It was a mismatch from the get go. Leites was bring a knife to a gun fight and knew it. That's why he didn't engage; and Anderson wasn't about to take the fight into Leites world.

I didn't think the fight was nearly as bad as the mmajunkie play by play. But it wasn't a bout I'll seek out for a second helping.

And one final thing. I'm not sure how much I cared for the front leg kicks from Silva. Those appeared to have no other intention than to injure Leites knee. Just seemed like poor taste to me. Can you image what the reaction to this bout would have been if Silva busted up Leites knee late in the fourth after how the crowd responded to the first three rounds?! Montreal would be in flames right now.

I did find some humor in punching the thigh though, and for a moment or two it looked like they were playing footsie too. We get the message Spider.

I thought the leg kicks would be a way to slow down and immobilize Leites, maybe to achieve a late knockout on a fighter that moved away from everything. In addition, they were a good way to break Leites's forward movement for takedown attempts. I had no problem with them at all and actually thought they were the most interesting thing about the fight because I've never seen anybody use them quite like that.

The parallels to Lyoto Machida are perfect. Should anybody start engaging with Anderson Silva, they will lose. He really didn't get that from Leites; it seemed Leites was so keen but completely inable to drag Silva down for the entirety of the fight, and Silva really didn't want to go to the ground; the round he did he lost on two of the scorecards.

I think this fight showed that he's got quite the IQ. Still one of the big three in my rankings.

Last edited 4/19/09 7:33AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   4/19/09 7:29:25AM   

bls1919

Banned From Forums

bls1919 Avatar

Career:308-183
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

I agree, except for the kick to the leg/knee part. It was a very very poor performance out of Leites. He did nothing to win that fight. he wasnt even trying to pull guard, he was falling backwards and hoping with all the boos that Silva would jump on him and take it to Leites world. That wasnt going to happen.

Post #11   4/19/09 9:07:07AM   

Dragoslav

MMA Regular

Career:16-10
Chips:
I think a lot of the heat towards Anderson is unwarranted. There's a lot of reasons a fighter can give a bad performance. Bad camp, personal problems, injuries and the list goes on. The fact is we don't know. It could be as simple as Leites was running away most of the fight. It could be as simple as Leites was such a non-threat that Anderson's heart wasn't in it. We don't know. But I do think all the bad-mouthing and nay-saying is unwarranted. Even Fedor has had a couple less than stellar performances.

Post #12   4/19/09 9:20:12AM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
Why is everyone giving A.S. so much heat? Why was the crowd booing ? not one of those morons could handle lietes for more than two minutes and they boo silva for not finishing? a fighter should never have to appologize for losing! its dumb. people know fights go the distance and just because you knocked people out before doesnt mean its gonna happen everytime. Anderson should NEVER say he is sorry again. he should say if you dont like it, eat **** and dont watch!

someone had a good point, it IS his belt and someone has to take it from him. so until they can he can dance, show off or do whatever he want in the octogon.

Post #13   4/19/09 10:41:55AM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
I don't know why everyone's sudenlly talking trash about Silva...he fought boredly last night. he was pissed and he did try at times, and I agree he should've gone for broke on more than one occasion; but on the other hand, this is exactly what happened the last time he fought. Cote and Thales, as decent as they can be at times, should not have been in the cage with Anderson. Neither of them had any chance of topping him. He knew that, and he knew they didn't pose a threat to him. I think he could've finished Thales, and I am a tad bit disappointed, but at the same time, what we all saw last night was a bored Anderson Silva. That's all there is to it.

As much as I hate to say it, being no GSP fan, I hope GSP beats Alves and moves up in weight now. That is a worthy challenge for Anderson, and GSP won't shy away from a stand up war either. At least, one can hope that GSP would bring it..

Post #14   4/19/09 10:50:35AM   

State_Champ

"I love you, my bitches!"

State_Champ Avatar

Career:2,289-1,424
Chips:
You need ti take the belt from the champion, but it looked like Leites was hoping Silva would just give it to him instead.

Silva did a fine job, it's not the champ's responsibility to endanger himself; he has too much at risk. The challenger is the one who needs to go all-out if they want to win.

Post #15   4/19/09 11:14:37AM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4