Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mirko Cro Cop: Stop Giving Me Advice On When To Quit!

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
It would seem that all the people saying Mirko Cro Cop should quit or retire from MMA are really getting to him. He is now telling people to stop giving him advice on when he should quit fighting, and also believes his latest comeback will happen at DREAM 9 on May 26.

Article

Post #1   4/14/09 8:54:51AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
*golf clap*

I agree 100% with Cro Cop. All of the keyboard warriors out there should zip it.

Post #2   4/14/09 8:59:38AM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
"he feels great, that he would probably end up in Dream because they can guarantee more fights for him than the UFC. "

I'm sorry, but I don't buy this. I like the guy, but let's be honest. He's going to fight in Dream because he can't hang with anyone worth a damn in the UFC anymore, especially at heavyweight.

Post #3   4/14/09 9:04:12AM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:999-599
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:

We have no right to tell a fighter when he should retire. It's his choice.

Post #4   4/14/09 9:08:39AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 39-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,703-1,488
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Only person who knows when Cro Cop should give it up is Cro Cop!!!!!

Post #5   4/14/09 11:04:44AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Maybe he'll stop complaining when he impresses us enough to prove that he's back. I still think he should quit, his last 2 wins came across a journeyman who's prior 2 losses came to Silvas and against the giant Hong-Man Choi, and of course inbetween was the Overeem No Contest. He's gotta beat name fighters who are top-tier competition or, at the very least, Overeem.

Post #6   4/14/09 11:15:46AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
He should probably retire after one last hurrah, the same way Chuck should retire, the same way Shogun should (pending) retire, the same way Hughes (maybe he's on to something) WILL retire, the same way Wandy needs to retire, the same way Ninja should probably retire, the same way Sylvia should probably take out a lower top 10 and dissapear.

That's like telling someone they shouldn't have an opinion. That's what we the douchebag forum posters are here for.

Cro Cop doesn't have to be super old or out of prime. The reason he needs to retire is the game has left him behind, just like most of the others on the list, the game has evolved for 6 years and he's the same K1 fighter without great takedown defence, and pretty much ZERO offensive or transitional grappling/BJJ.

Simple, you can nutthug how Cro cop was the meanest thing around for about 5 years but he isn't now.

Plus he got beat (the fact that he was even challenged surprised me at the time) by 1 demensional Kongo.

But I do beleive the message has been sent about retirement.

Post #7   4/14/09 3:38:52PM   

gnl68

BANNED

Career:392-296
Chips:
Mirko is still a marketable fighter.I think that the ufc is the elite league with the best in the world.Mirko has not won either of his last ufc fights and felt overwhelmned by the american public and pressure.As long as he walks he is a threat..He has a monster ego(which is needed to hang with the best),but after he was soundly beaten he wanted no part of the american public.I think why he went back to europe and asia to fight.He will allways be revered in japan.They absolutely love him.He is also 1 of the few that does well outside of the ufc.The gonzaga kick to cro cops head will forever be etched in my mind!!

Post #8   4/14/09 4:23:01PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by whardin19

We have no right to tell a fighter when he should retire. It's his choice.

but we have every right to give our honest opinions on forums. I hardly think we have much if any impact, he may be getting from some of his own ppl.

Post #9   4/14/09 5:05:22PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

He should probably retire after one last hurrah, the same way Chuck should retire, the same way Shogun should (pending) retire, the same way Hughes (maybe he's on to something) WILL retire, the same way Wandy needs to retire, the same way Ninja should probably retire, the same way Sylvia should probably take out a lower top 10 and dissapear.

That's like telling someone they shouldn't have an opinion. That's what we the douchebag forum posters are here for.

Cro Cop doesn't have to be super old or out of prime. The reason he needs to retire is the game has left him behind, just like most of the others on the list, the game has evolved for 6 years and he's the same K1 fighter without great takedown defence, and pretty much ZERO offensive or transitional grappling/BJJ.

Simple, you can nutthug how Cro cop was the meanest thing around for about 5 years but he isn't now.

Plus he got beat (the fact that he was even challenged surprised me at the time) by 1 demensional Kongo.

Losing to top-tier fighters doesn't mean one should retire; it means they should either refocus and try something new (like Randy Couture) or relegate themselves to middle-tier fighters with an occasional top-tier fight. If CroCop should keep on fighting, he needs to realize that he will (probably) never be able to move to the top of the heavyweight class because of age, injuries, and all the debilitating problems associated with age and injuries. (If he went back to the UFC to challenge for a title, I would definitely use my keyboard warrior tools in order to state repeatedly how poor of an idea that probably is.)

Last edited 4/14/09 8:47PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   4/14/09 8:46:56PM   

kaskd

MMA Regular

kaskd Avatar

Career:1,174-644
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by seanfu

Losing to top-tier fighters doesn't mean one should retire; it means they should either refocus and try something new (like Randy Couture) or relegate themselves to middle-tier fighters with an occasional top-tier fight. If CroCop should keep on fighting, he needs to realize that he will (probably) never be able to move to the top of the heavyweight class because of age, injuries, and all the debilitating problems associated with age and injuries. (If he went back to the UFC to challenge for a title, I would definitely use my keyboard warrior tools in order to state repeatedly how poor of an idea that probably is.)

I hope Crocop has a problem with that. As a top tier fighter they could beat up on mid-tier fighters until their 50s, but that's not what a top tier fighter wants! If he doesn't want to retire, I hope that he really believes he can make a run for the top 5 in the HW category.

Top Tier fighters should retire in my opinion when they are no longer top tier. Yeah, Crocop you may hate me, but I love you! I will watch you fight anyone, but every time you fight a Hongman a little piece of me will die.

Post #11   4/15/09 3:27:27PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:
But the whole problem is the pay structure of the fight game. When these guys get to a certain level of recognition they start to earn a lot more....I would imagine Crocop and others want to hang on as long as they can and start to make some of the big money that frankly they are due.

Post #12   4/15/09 8:11:04PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by soundboy1

But the whole problem is the pay structure of the fight game. When these guys get to a certain level of recognition they start to earn a lot more....I would imagine Crocop and others want to hang on as long as they can and start to make some of the big money that frankly they are due.

Cro Cop is one of the richest people in Croatia and is set for life, as is his family. He's one of the few fighters who can acctually say he fights for the sport of it now.

Post #13   4/16/09 3:32:19AM   

TsekaPrivet

Learning to Sprawl

TsekaPrivet Avatar

Career:9-4
Chips:
I love how after he gets flash KO'd by Gonzaga and loses a split decision to nuttcracker Congo everyone thinks he's **** now.

Post #14   4/16/09 5:31:08AM