Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Four blockbuster matchups officially added to Pride 33! Frank Trigg, Nick Diaz, Takanori Gomi, Kazuhiro Nakamura and more!

Print  
Posted By Message

brownpimp88

Learning to Sprawl

brownpimp88 Avatar

Career:160-104
Camp: MMA Forum
Chips:
Four blockbuster matchups officially added to Pride 33! Frank Trigg, Nick Diaz, Takanori Gomi, Kazuhiro Nakamura and more!

Four blockbuster matchups have been announced for Pride FC's next show, Pride 33: The Second Coming. The show scheduled for February 24th in Las Vegas, Nevada is already headlined with the "Champion vs. Champion" showdown between Pride Middleweight Champion, Wanderlei Silva and Pride Welterweight Champion, Dan Henderson.

Added to the line up is a bout between already scheduled Pride Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi, taking on UFC standout Nick Diaz. Gomi, who is making his debut on American soil. Gomi is in for a tough fight as Diaz is a fighter regularly competing at 170 pounds, rather then 160 pounds. Thus, Diaz has the distinct size advantage going into the fight. Gomi's Lightweight Championship will not be on the line, however if Diaz can get the win, you can expect to see a title match between the two some time down the line. Diaz who has recently signed a two fight deal with Pride(and a different contract with EliteXC) will be debuting in the Japan based organization. Expect for fireworks, as both fighters are very exciting!

Former UFC Welterweight Number One Contendar, and current ICON Sport Middleweight Champion Frank Trigg, will be making his return to Pride as he takes on Pride Welterweight Grand Prix winner Kazuo Misaki. Both men are coming off huge wins, with Trigg winning the ICON Sport Championship from Jason "Mayhem" Miller, and Misaki coming off the Grand Prix Championship win over Denis Kang. Trigg, who is a current Pride colour commentator has recently come out of retirement and he hopes to further himself with a win over a Top 5 ranked contendar. Trigg recently commented on coming out of retirement. “I wanted out. They wouldn’t let me out. It’s like the mob,” says Trigg. “I was done. I just wanted to be a broadcaster and help the sport any way I could. But then for like 2 months I got offers every day.”

Kazuhiro Nakamura will be returning to the U.S to face off against UFC and IFL standout Travis Wiuff. Nakamura, who recently defeated Travis Galbraith in the U.S during Pride 32, will be hoping to rack up another win infront of the American audience. Wiuff is a seasoned vet with a MMA record of 42-9. He is coming off two straight wins, and hopes to advance him career by getting a win over the Top Ten ranked young judoka. This is a big fight for both men.

As previously reported throughout the week, Pride Lightweight standout, Hayato "Mach" Sakurai will be taking on former King of the Cage Lightweight Champion, Mac Danzig. Danzig couldn't be in for a tougher debut in Pride, as he is taking on the #2 ranked Lightweight in MMA. Sakurai's most recent win was over Luciano Azevedo at Bushido 12. "Mach" is 0-1 on American soil with his loss thanks to former UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Hughes. Sakurai hopes to make an impression on the American fans, and he wants to show them why he is the #2 ranked Lightweight in the world.

Other names that have been off and on for the event are former Pride Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueria, his kid brother Antonio Rogerio Nogueria, Ricardo Arona, Kazuyuki Fujita, Cung Le, Josh Neer, Joe Doerkson and Wes Sims. Pride 33 will take place on February 24th at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas and will air live on pay-per-view in the United States. These four matches, along with the Silva vs Henderson main event, are five confirmed matches for the American show.

Last edited 3/24/13 10:25PM server time by brownpimp88
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/24/07 12:27:30AM