Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Criticizes Wanderlei’s Move to 185

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
They have the same surname, grew up in the same Brazilian city and trained together for years at Chute Boxe. But things have changed, and destiny has put Wanderlei Silva and Anderson Silva on different sides.

“I always helped Wanderlei in training,” Anderson explained in a November 2007 interview with Tatame magazine. “We were really close.”

Anderson eventually left Chute Boxe, though, and in the Tatame interview he said that the team’s coach, Rudimar Fedrigo, forbid him from fighting in Pride, where Wanderlei was a champion.

“Wanderlei didn’t say anything to help me,” Anderson said. “He even knew that I had four children to raise. If it were not for ‘Minotauro’ putting pressure and bringing me to Pride, I would certainly be retired.”

At UFC 79 in December 2007, however, Anderson couldn’t hide his support for Wanderlei against Chuck Liddell. After the fight, he visited Wanderlei’s locker room with Lyoto Machida to congratulate him on a gutsy performance.
I’m free now, whenever you want to train,” said Wanderlei, who had also left Chute Boxe by then and was happy to have the support of Anderson and Machida.

But now the relationship has soured again. Fifteen months after they shook hands in the locker room, Anderson learned that Wanderlei is on his way to the UFC middleweight division, where Anderson is king.
link

Post #1   4/10/09 9:07:07AM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,594-1,377
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I dont think Anderson should be jumping the gun because if theres any fighter with respect its Wanderlei who in the past has stated he does not fight friends.Example being him and shogun.I personally would love to see the fight.

Post #2   4/10/09 9:28:23AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
wandy needs to win some fights first in order to get a title shot i would have to say 3 in a row

Post #3   4/10/09 9:48:23AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Well Anderson is in talks on retiring and it would be a bit before Silva could get a MW title shot.

Also there was a quote on Mania the other day saying that Anderson would like to go back to 205 and fight there again.

Post #4   4/10/09 9:54:52AM   

Pyrenus

MMA Regular

Pyrenus Avatar

Career:430-263
Camp: Team World Class
Chips:

Posted by Proz

wandy needs to win some fights first in order to get a title shot i would have to say 3 in a row

To be a legitimate contender for the belt, I agree, but that doesn't mean its what the UFC is going to do. Wandy vs A.Silva would draw huge numbers. And given how A.Silva has cleaned out the division, any fresh blood would immediately get thrown to the top of the heap.

Silva vs Silva would sell a lot more PPVs than Silva vs Marquardt 2

Last edited 4/10/09 9:55AM server time by Pyrenus
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   4/10/09 9:55:04AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
So let me get this straight

---Anderson wanted to compete in PRIDE where Wanderlei was the champ at middleweight, but the Chute Boxe camp wouldn't let him.

---When Anderson and Wanderlei were both competing in the UFC, but at separate weight classes, they were friends again.

---Wanderlei wants to compete in the UFC where Anderson is the champ at middleweight, Anderson is mad at Wanderlei. The only difference being that a camp isn't telling either fighter they can't do it.

Tell me that it's not almost the exact same situation only reversed. Anderson is "mad" that Wanderlei wants to do the same thing he wanted to do years back? Sounds like a hater to me. Either that, or just sour grapes. Nearly the same thing in my opinion.

I think Anderson would handily beat Wanderlei, but this is just stupid in my opinion. Sure, Wanderlei could have stood up for Anderson against the Chute Boxe camp. But, how does he know for sure that he didn't? Even if he didn't stand up, how many guys out there at a camp like Chute Boxe was in those days would question their leader? Think of it like soldiers in an Army. It's not good to have Sergeants questioning Generals. I understand the struggles with finances and trying to raise a family, but it sounds to me like Anderson needs to take these things into context.

Besides, when Anderson did make it to PRIDE it's not like he fought well enough to get a shot at Wanderlei anyway.

Post #6   4/10/09 10:38:50AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

---Anderson wanted to compete in PRIDE where Wanderlei was the champ at middleweight, but the Chute Boxe camp wouldn't let him.

---When Anderson and Wanderlei were both competing in the UFC, but at separate weight classes, they were friends again.

---Wanderlei wants to compete in the UFC where Anderson is the champ at middleweight, Anderson is mad at Wanderlei. The only difference being that a camp isn't telling either fighter they can't do it.

Tell me that it's not almost the exact same situation only reversed. Anderson is "mad" that Wanderlei wants to do the same thing he wanted to do years back? Sounds like a hater to me. Either that, or just sour grapes. Nearly the same thing in my opinion.

I think Anderson would handily beat Wanderlei, but this is just stupid in my opinion. Sure, Wanderlei could have stood up for Anderson against the Chute Boxe camp. But, how does he know for sure that he didn't? Even if he didn't stand up, how many guys out there at a camp like Chute Boxe was in those days would question their leader? Think of it like soldiers in an Army. It's not good to have Sergeants questioning Generals. I understand the struggles with finances and trying to raise a family, but it sounds to me like Anderson needs to take these things into context.

Besides, when Anderson did make it to PRIDE it's not like he fought well enough to get a shot at Wanderlei anyway.

EDIT: Never mind, I misread your post...

Last edited 4/10/09 10:48AM server time by breakdown5
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   4/10/09 10:46:27AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Right, and Big Nog should be applauded for his efforts, but I don't see how Wanderlei is at fault here. I'm sure he had some sway in the Chute Boxe camp, but was he spearheading the campaign to keep Anderson out? If he was, then by all means it's justified, but if he wasn't I can't really see how he's at fault. I'm sure there were bigger dogs doing all the barking.

In any case I recognize Anderson's plight, but that was the past. This is now. Why criticize someone's moves when what happened in the past is water under the bridge?

Post #8   4/10/09 11:05:40AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Anyone know the five opponents that Silva thinks are ready for a title shot? We all have our thoughts, but does anyone know who he said?

Post #9   4/10/09 11:16:28AM   

CiaoBaby

MMA Regular

CiaoBaby Avatar

Career:688-482
Camp: The Fatherless Bastards
Chips:
He didn't specify. I'm thinking Leites, Okami, Maia, Marquardt, maybe Kang, Santiago, a Cote rematch, Mousasi...A win over Hendo could make Bispbing a contender in his eyes. Who knows what the guy is thinking? Honestly I can't see anyone beating him right now...

Post #10   4/10/09 3:44:10PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
I am as much a fan of Anderson's as anyone, but writing off Maia would be a big mistake. Maia's striking is no where near Anderson's, but his bjj is as good as anyones.

Post #11   4/10/09 3:44:48PM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:

Posted by breakdown5

Posted by Jackelope

EDIT: Never mind, I misread your post...

I am starting to see Anderson believing his own hype (which could be understood) but all this talk of retirement etc says to me that he is saying "no one is worthy, I might as well quit" His lack of fights lately and the disinterest he seemed to show against Cote says 2 things to me. 1) He now believes his own legend. 2) He wants to keep fights to a minimum to reserve that legend.
Now don't get me wrong, in my eyes he is the man right now but he knows as we all do that it only takes one punch. I am starting to hope, that one punch happens soon so that we can all get off his nuts and move on.

Post #12   4/10/09 6:37:47PM   

Zekeil

MMA Regular

Zekeil Avatar

Career:1,214-756
Camp: Collinsville Clan
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well Anderson is in talks on retiring and it would be a bit before Silva could get a MW title shot.

Also there was a quote on Mania the other day saying that Anderson would like to go back to 205 and fight there again.

205 is where Anderson needs to be, there isn't any competition in the MW division for him.
If you ask me Thales is just another wasted fight (like the Cote fight) before A.S. retires.
Anderson shouldn't be fighting anyone except for superfights.

Post #13   4/10/09 7:36:30PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:
after this hell have 5 fights i believe, if at least 2 of them arent at 205 then its really just a waste of his potential.

Post #14   4/10/09 7:47:08PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:

Posted by Red-Dragon

I am starting to see Anderson believing his own hype (which could be understood) but all this talk of retirement etc says to me that he is saying "no one is worthy, I might as well quit" His lack of fights lately and the disinterest he seemed to show against Cote says 2 things to me. 1) He now believes his own legend. 2) He wants to keep fights to a minimum to reserve that legend.
Now don't get me wrong, in my eyes he is the man right now but he knows as we all do that it only takes one punch. I am starting to hope, that one punch happens soon so that we can all get off his nuts and move on.

And you inferred all that from

“Saying that you will beat me up or submit me is very easy, but there have been people trying to do that for some time and are not reaching their goal, Demian.”
and his thoughts of retirement?

Im sorry but thats ridiculous

Post #15   4/10/09 7:51:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2