Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Coloring MMA Badd

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:
When I settled on a topic for this latest post-event opining, I thought I might have some 'splainin' to do as to why I was so sickened with Frank Mir's color commentary for WEC 40. However, after a quick peek into my inbox and a cursory glance at the Sherdog forums, I feel as though my objections are justified.

In case your TiVo exploded, here's a recap: Mir, routinely celebrated as a stellar technical analyst, ignores any and all offense from Joseph Benavidez and Takeya Mizugaki in otherwise brilliant fights while butchering the names of any and all brave enough to step into the cage with the UFC's interim heavyweight champ on the mic (though I suspect Jameel Massouh may be used to it.)
Coloring MMA Bad : LINK

Post #1   4/7/09 9:22:42AM   

wapttn

MMeh?

wapttn Avatar

Career:254-148
Chips:
Ya... one of the things that kept popping into my head while I was watching those two fights was Mir is a doosh. One could easily argue that mizugaki won the first two rounds with more strikes landed and better control of the standup. Its like every time Torres landed or almost landed a shot he'd be commenting on what a punch... every time mizugaki landed a flurry or nailed torres with a body shot he'd start talking about how torres' was still breathing through his nose. Maybe thats a bit of an exaggeration, but I did find his commentary very one sided and being an mma fan rather than a torres fan, I found it really annoying

Post #2   4/7/09 9:29:25AM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,356-1,302
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I generally like Mir, but you're right about the Miguel Torres verbal love-fest. He could say half as much and still sound one-sided in his commentary.

Post #3   4/7/09 9:52:00AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,051-1,270
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
my fav part was during the moussah fight where he went for a quick heel hook after getting his ass beat the whole time..

Mir commented something along the lines of "man its just the worst when you are kicking someones ass and then all of a sudden you get caught in a gay heel hook and you have to tap"....does anyone remember the Lesnar/Mir fight
haha

there was a second of awkward silence after that comment...i think it dawned on him at that moment that that is exactly what he did to lesnar

Post #4   4/7/09 10:07:05AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:520-328
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Nobody takes a legitimate argument and turns it into a petty over exaggerated complaint like the sub par writers for sherdog.

Post #5   4/7/09 10:08:13AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i thought the same thing
mir plays favorites, varner said it in jan
he needs to get a clue

Post #6   4/7/09 10:09:27AM   

Hrock

Learning to Sprawl

Hrock Avatar

Career:695-428
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I think Mir is taking too much bashing for this....don't get me wron, it was really one sided comentating and needs to be fixed but I dont think Mir did it intentionally. I think he was just paying too much attention to the favorite and not seeing the big picture.
Chalk it up to inexpierence and hope he learns from it...He is not a bad comentator at all.

Post #7   4/7/09 10:44:47AM   

Darnok

Heavyweight Chump

Darnok Avatar

Career:1,503-1,200
Camp: The Puddle
Chips:

Posted by slapshot

Nobody takes a legitimate argument and turns it into a petty over exaggerated complaint like the sub par writers for sherdog.

I agree, and I still like listening to MIR better than reading the drivel that Sherdog writes.

You sure can tell when it is a slow work week at Sherdog.

Post #8   4/7/09 10:47:54AM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Career:1,478-836
Chips:
Shocking that Sherdog is bashing a Zuffa promotion again, but for once I agree with the basic point. Frank is informative in his commentating, but his shameless brown nosing of Urijah Faber kind of turned me off to the guy when I first started watching WEC.

He was out in full force on the Torres fight of course, but I felt he was also really slanted in favor of Jeff Curran, and if you'd just listened to the commentary on that fight you would have thought Jeff won a UD.

Post #9   4/7/09 11:57:44AM   

Red-Dragon

In Full Mount

Red-Dragon Avatar

Career:337-201
Camp: The Bravo Forum
Chips:
I am in total agreement here but I actually thought that he was worse in the Curran fight. Shame really, I think Mir's OK.

Post #10   4/7/09 12:11:40PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Chips:
I think Mir is an excellent commentator. He can show favoritism but are you saying rogan and goldy don't? Or that boxing commentators don't? I didn't think it was that bad and this article by Sherdog is terrible. The only thing I agree with is the fact that Mir and Rogan are working alone. If it were rogan and mir together we would have no problems.

Mir is very technically educated and calls the action beautifully. I think the problems people have with him are the same problems they have with rogan. He sees the game technically both standing and on the ground. He doesn't flip out about Benevides's punches because they're sloppy ineffective and mostly don't land. Same with Mazugaki. He put up a great fight don't get me wrong but Torres blocked the overwhelming majority of his shots and landed clean accurate shots in return. That being said I gave Mazugaki rounds 1 and 3.

Post #11   4/7/09 12:33:36PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I think Mir is an excellent commentator. He can show favoritism but are you saying rogan and goldy don't? Or that boxing commentators don't? I didn't think it was that bad and this article by Sherdog is terrible. The only thing I agree with is the fact that Mir and Rogan are working alone. If it were rogan and mir together we would have no problems.

Mir is very technically educated and calls the action beautifully. I think the problems people have with him are the same problems they have with rogan. He sees the game technically both standing and on the ground. He doesn't flip out about Benevides's punches because they're sloppy ineffective and mostly don't land. Same with Mazugaki. He put up a great fight don't get me wrong but Torres blocked the overwhelming majority of his shots and landed clean accurate shots in return. That being said I gave Mazugaki rounds 1 and 3.

Does the "Curran Martial Arts" you train at have anything to do with Jeff?

Post #12   4/7/09 12:47:11PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Chips:
Ya i train with Jeff and ya i'm biased. I admit it and I don't mind you calling me on it. I'm not talking about Jeff here though. I'm talking about MIr.

Post #13   4/7/09 12:51:41PM   

ThePlague

O&A party rock

ThePlague Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Ya i train with Jeff and ya i'm biased. I admit it and I don't mind you calling me on it. I'm not talking about Jeff here though. I'm talking about MIr.

Yeah, fair enough. Not trying to be a dick or anything, I just noticed that on your profile.

Post #14   4/7/09 1:50:25PM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
Every promotion shows some sort of favoritism when it comes to announcing. Case in point, Ortiz vs. Griffin. The announcers are constantly talking about Forrest landing huge shots that were being blocked by Ortiz. The Fedor and Arlovski fight is another where the announcers became huge nuthuggers of Fedor. It's just the same in any other sport as the announcers fall in love with players. John Madden loves Brett Favre to the 10th degree and Darrell Waltrip loves Jimmie Johnson more then winning the Daytona 500. People need to chill out on these types of things.

I do agree with the article's assessment of Todd Harris as he is just as about as bad of an announcer as you can find. He was terrible with the IRL, and even worse on ABC's Saturday Football broadcasts. I wrote an article long ago that basically stated the same thing and I'm glad that Sherdog mentioned the same thing because then maybe people will start taking notice.

Post #15   4/7/09 5:39:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2