Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jeff Curran got robbed

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Any one else feel like Jeff Curran got robbed? I was there and everyone around me felt that way. When I went home I watched it on my DVR hoping to see something different than the first time around but I think he won rounds 1 and 2 hands down. I think this shows the problem with judges in MMA. They don't understand the game so they end up scoring the fighter on top as winning.

Jeff out boxed him on the feet and landed some really good kicks. On his back he threatened with submissions and had some great up kicks. If you watch carefully almost every punch Joe throws misses because Jeff kicks his legs when he throws. After the fight my girlfriend yelled at Benevides "You lost that fight." And he said "I thought so too."

Post #1   4/6/09 3:14:36AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I didn't see how Curran outboxed him. He got hit hard quite a few times and he kept getting taken down which showed great control. He had a few sub attempts but I don't think it was anything to steal the fight. I thought he did well in rounds 1 & 2 also, even had good moments and 3 but I think the other guy had too much control. It was close and I can see your argument, I wouldn't argue if Curran got the nod. Real close, but unlike the Kampman/condit fight, it's not like he was getting laid on and the other guy wasn't doing anything while Curran & Condit tried submissions all night. His opponent actually worked so I think he controled the fight enough to win. Real close fight definitley, but I wouldn't say he got robbed.

Post #2   4/6/09 8:08:30AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I didn't see how Curran outboxed him. He got hit hard quite a few times and he kept getting taken down which showed great control. He had a few sub attempts but I don't think it was anything to steal the fight. I thought he did well in rounds 1 & 2 also, even had good moments and 3 but I think the other guy had too much control. It was close and I can see your argument, I wouldn't argue if Curran got the nod. Real close, but unlike the Kampman/condit fight, it's not like he was getting laid on and the other guy wasn't doing anything while Curran & Condit tried submissions all night. His opponent actually worked so I think he controled the fight enough to win. Real close fight definitley, but I wouldn't say he got robbed.

Reminded me of the recent Kampmann vs Condit fight. It was really close to call, but I dont think anyone got "robbed". To me, Benavidez seemed like the aggresor for most of the fight and landed the better strikes. Keep in mind, I picked Curran too. Sure your not biased? The illinois crowd seemed pretty behind Curran.

Post #3   4/6/09 9:09:17AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Fight definitely was not a 30-27...

Post #4   4/6/09 9:21:52AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Chips:
Maybe according to Mir but I saw it as Curran losing a UD. It was a close fight but JB outscored him standing and on the ground

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #5   4/6/09 9:50:56AM   

thefyn

Learning to Sprawl

Career:197-143
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
You can't be knocked down that often, and win. Simple as that.

Post #6   4/6/09 10:07:17AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I thought it was pretty clear-cut. I gave Benevidez every round. It was a very close fight, but I think it would be difficult to argue giving Jeff any of the three rounds.

Post #7   4/6/09 11:21:54AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Benavidez definitely won that fight, great fight but... No arguments here

Post #8   4/6/09 11:22:02AM   

Ben99901

Learning to Sprawl

Career:207-178
Camp: Bad Boys
Chips:
I agree, atleast a split descision.
Big Frog Will be back

Post #9   4/6/09 11:35:39AM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I thought the fight was much more deserving of a 29-28 UD, rather than 30-27. But hey what do i know

Post #10   4/6/09 11:50:20AM   

fizzle

Standup Guy

fizzle Avatar

Career:181-103
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

I thought it was pretty clear-cut. I gave Benevidez every round. It was a very close fight, but I think it would be difficult to argue giving Jeff any of the three rounds.

Yeah same, Jeff was mixing it up and in the fight the whole time. But Benevidez was too strong and aggressive for Curran to get a sub or out strike. Benevidez simply landed more often and more meaningful, no one was in danger of being tko'd but some heavy shots were landed on both side and I think Benevidez was on the winning side of most of them.

Post #11   4/6/09 12:52:24PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Chips:
Ya I'm definitely biased. Jeff is the head instructor where I train so... ya. But I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. I think its possible that benevides was being sarcastic. He knew it was a home town crowd. But I still think Jeff won. He landed more and was dangerous off his back. I didn't see benevides land any meaningful strikes except one right hand in the first (which was glancing and more of an off balance). And ya the crowd was biased and I've heard that it looks different on tv than in person. But people around me were genuinely shocked.

To me this fight was more clear cut than Condit/Kampman. I thought Condit won that fight too but when its that close you can't complain. I just didn't think this fight was that close. I saw Jeff winning two rounds easy. And 30-27? Come on. Chicago judges suck. There hasn't been a lot of top MMA shows here except for one UFC and one WEC (i was at both) so maybe thats why.

Or maybe I'm just frustrated because my jiu jitsu instructor (jeff) and my muay thai instructor (bart) both lost at home.

Post #12   4/6/09 1:02:47PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I thought he won round 1 but the knock down hurt him. 2 and three I thought he lost but not by much.

Post #13   4/6/09 5:08:38PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Any one else feel like Jeff Curran got robbed? I was there and everyone around me felt that way. When I went home I watched it on my DVR hoping to see something different than the first time around but I think he won rounds 1 and 2 hands down. I think this shows the problem with judges in MMA. They don't understand the game so they end up scoring the fighter on top as winning.

Jeff out boxed him on the feet and landed some really good kicks. On his back he threatened with submissions and had some great up kicks. If you watch carefully almost every punch Joe throws misses because Jeff kicks his legs when he throws. After the fight my girlfriend yelled at Benevides "You lost that fight." And he said "I thought so too."

No, in fact everyone here that I've seen write about it on the playground was upset by it, I even posted at how angry I was that Mir even gave Curran round 1, Benavidez won every round handidly. If you listen to his words carefully he dosnt awknowledge Jose at all like hes a ghost landing shots then when Jeff gets one Mir goes crazy and talks about how awesome Jeff is then Jeff gets dominated for the rest of the time.

You were suckered in by the dumb fans who have no idea how to judge and some did by Mir's commentating, theres no freakin way Jeff won that fight. Jeff got the nod against Raphael Asuncao in which Raph dominated and when they gave Jeff the split the entire crowd boo'd after Raph was robbed. Not saying this is relevant but something to think about in terms of whos actually winning and who you want to win.

Last edited 4/6/09 7:55PM server time by EvenFlow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   4/6/09 6:59:52PM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Benavidez clearly won that fight. Sitting in a crowd rooting for Curran may have influenced your opinion.

Post #15   4/6/09 7:31:27PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3