Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Miller-Browning nearly go at it ... Jensen not cleared, fight canceled

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Sometimes you have to read that fine print boys, it says, "almost saw Cole Miller slap Junie" which isn't meant to be taken literally like Cole is winding up to slap him, but rather that Cole looked like he was ready to go after Junie (which is basically the part where he steps up into Junie's face).

According to the first post in this thread, there was no "almost"...

I didn't bother to read the actual article. I just watched the video.

EDIT: Nevermind. The original post *does* say almost.

Damn you, Bud Light.

Last edited 3/31/09 11:20PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   3/31/09 11:19:14PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Wolfenstein

Sometimes you have to read that fine print boys, it says, "almost saw Cole Miller slap Junie" which isn't meant to be taken literally like Cole is winding up to slap him, but rather that Cole looked like he was ready to go after Junie (which is basically the part where he steps up into Junie's face).

Damn you, Bud Light.

And damn those misleading headlines. Sorry if some of you guys felt mislead, cause it would have been pretty cool to see Miller wind up for a slap, and hear Junie say something along the lines, "How can he slap!" (some of you will know what I'm talking about lol.)

Post #17   3/31/09 11:24:47PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Wolfenstein

Damn you, Bud Light.

And damn those misleading headlines. Sorry if some of you guys felt mislead, cause it would have been pretty cool to see Miller wind up for a slap, and hear Junie say something along the lines, "How can he slap!" (some of you will know what I'm talking about lol.)

LOL I know what you're talking about!

And yeah, Dana did step in like a daddy.. but he probably did it because he knows Junie is a loose cannon and he didn't want any problems

Post #18   3/31/09 11:31:37PM   

chuckw94

Standup Guy

chuckw94 Avatar

Career:1,454-875
Chips:
miller =2nd round sub. and then junie out of the ufc and looking for work with affliction. . or at least i hope so.

Post #19   4/1/09 12:30:41AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Junie won't be able to control his emotions. He'll come out, guns blazin, and make a huge mistake. Cole will capitalize. Fight over.

I'm forced to spread the love so here's my prop. Dead on.

Post #20   4/1/09 1:23:29AM   

babytater03

In Full Mount

babytater03 Avatar

Career:1,007-642
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
Good luck in the regional's Ryan.

Post #21   4/1/09 10:42:56AM   

gnl68

BANNED

Career:392-296
Chips:
The word almost in fighting means nothing.Cole didn't even come close to slappin Junie.Just like Junie did't come close to slapping Cole.Should be an entertaing fight while it lasts.Styles makes fights and this could just be a good one.If Junie's got gas in the tank,he's gotta good chance.If Shawn has had him for a few months,guaranteed his striking is better,and his hands were always his best attribute anyhow.It all comes to the ground.Will Junie weather Coles submissions and get the gnp.Or he gets caught coming in.Either way could be very entertaining!!

Post #22   4/1/09 1:43:51PM   

StPierreCanada

MMA Regular

StPierreCanada Avatar

Career:1,057-747
Camp: Zewkey.com
Chips:
WAR COLE MILLER!

Post #23   4/1/09 3:33:52PM   

bjsmit1

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Jensen never failed a drug test. In fact he was never even given the opportunity to take a drug test.

FYI:
I have been good friends with Ryan Jensen for about 15 years, and was with him throughout the month of March in Albuquerque, helping with his training camp at Greg Jackson's. Ryan has had ADD/ADHD for as long as I've known him. He disclosed his prescription use of Adderall during his pre-fight physical in late February. On Wednesday, March 25th, he faxed paperwork for his sponsors, etc, and again disclosed his prescription as well. Not until seconds before Jensen and Steinbeiss were about to take the stage for weigh-ins, did the Tennessee State Athletic Commission say anything about Jensen's prescription. In addition to this, Jensen has disclosed the use of his prescription medication since day one. The Athletic Commissions in California, Ohio, Nebraska, Iowa, etc. did not have a problem with it, and allowed him to fight.

Obviously, they weren't allowed to weigh-in as scheduled, because the Tennessee AC said that Adderall is a banned substance, and that the fight could not proceed as scheduled. Former Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, and current Vice President of Regulatory Affairs for the UFC, Marc Ratner, argued with Tennessee officials on Jensen's behalf.

The Tennessee AC said that the prescription medication Ritalin (methylphenidate) was allowed, but Adderall was not. I am a PhD student studying Pharmacology, and understand both drugs quite well. Both are FDA approved for the treatment of ADD/ADHD, and act as Central Nervous System stimulants. Their method of action is virtually identical, as well as their side effects.

The last time Jensen took the medication was the morning of Monday, March 30th -- and it was only 5 mg, which is a very small dose relative to what others with ADD/ADHD take. It is not uncommon for individuals to take up to 150 mg per day. The drug has a half life of 11-13 hours, and given the dose Jensen was taking, he would have in all likelihood passed the post-fight drug test. In fact, Jensen volunteered to take a drug test on Tuesday, March 31st, to prove that the medication was out of his system. The Tennessee AC would not administer a drug test, and told him that he could not fight on Wednesday, April 1st.

Like I stated, numerous state athletic commissions have allowed him to compete, and he has had a legitimate prescription for years. He provided the Tennessee AC documentation from his physician, as well as documentation from other state commissions that had cleared him to fight in the past, while using his prescribed medication.

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily agree with using pharmaceuticals to treat many cases of ADD/ADHD in children and teens. I think that improved parenting, teaching styles, etc, could be very beneficial for youths with the disability.

With that being said, I have witnessed firsthand in Jensen the effectiveness in his day-to-day quality of life, etc. from the use of prescription Adderall.

Ryan is honest and was candid regarding his Adderall Rx. If he had not disclosed his medication, Jensen would have been allowed to fight, and would have had a significant probability of passing a post-fight urinalysis.

The Tennessee AC dropped the ball on this. Jensen spent over a month living in a hotel 1000 miles from home, and was in tremendous shape. I don't doubt that Steinbeiss sacrificed greatly and trained his ass off as well. I could go on and on -- obviously I'm upset because Ryan is a good friend of mine. Regardless, he got screwed, and it was not by the UFC or Zuffa. UFC officials were diligent in their efforts to make the fight happen as scheduled. Ryan did everything expected of him as a fighter -- he showed up well prepared, in shape, and made weight. The blame lies on an inexperienced, uninformed Tennessee State Athletic Commission...

Post #24   4/11/09 11:46:13PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2