Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hughes, St Pierre, Sanchez

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Now that Hughes and St Pierre are at 1 and 1 we know there is going to be a third match up to decide who is the best. However I am pretty sure that St. Pierre is going to take the third fight and win, what is everyone's take on a match up between Sanchez and Hughes? I am only fairly impressed with Sanchez and am not quite convinced yet that he is the real deal. What do you think?

Post #1   3/28/07 1:46:10PM   

THE_AXE_MURDERER

MMA Regular

THE_AXE_MURDERER Avatar

Career:76-48
Camp: Rascal Fight Team
Chips:
i agree Pierre is going to beat Hughes.I do think Hughes is on the downside of his career if he fights Sanchez I see Sanchez winning.

Post #2   3/28/07 2:21:17PM   

Fumar-Fortiuse

Learning to Sprawl

Fumar-Fortiuse Avatar

Career:18-15
Chips:
Sanchez and Hughes is a tough fight to call. Both men are ground guys so who would have the advantage there. Hughes is stronger and more experinced but Sanchez's undefeated streak with over 16 wins has to count for something. A win over Hughes would surly prove to everyone that Sanchez is for real that is why I am going to give him this fight. I think he would be more hungry to beat Hughes and that wins him this fight.

Post #3   3/28/07 2:28:55PM   

randyleprechaun

MMA Regular

randyleprechaun Avatar

Career:68-36
Chips:

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

i agree Pierre is going to beat Hughes.I do think Hughes is on the downside of his career if he fights Sanchez I see Sanchez winning.

I still think he'd make Sanchez his bitch! But that match-up wont be in the UFCs interest.

Why have the undefeated popular #1 contender risk his reputation (and title shot) against a former Champion who has nothing to gain from the fight but bragging rights.

If Hughes loses to GSP i can see him moving up to middleweight or retireing to spend more time with his young family!

Post #4   3/28/07 2:42:59PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by randyleprechaun

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

I still think he'd make Sanchez his bitch! But that match-up wont be in the UFCs interest.

Why have the undefeated popular #1 contender risk his reputation (and title shot) against a former Champion who has nothing to gain from the fight but bragging rights.

If Hughes loses to GSP i can see him moving up to middleweight or retireing to spend more time with his young family!

good post, i dont think the ufc will risk diego's meteoric rise no matter how ready he thinks he is for hughes. i think both matt hughes and GSP would lay beatdown on diego that would break him mentally.

Post #5   3/28/07 3:14:14PM   

skiba97

Banned

Career:60-34
Chips:

Id say hughes gets a second round tko with gnp. I think matt will take him down and over power him on the ground, i cant really see how diego would take this one unless matt thinks jesus is going to win the fight or whatever for him again.

Last edited 3/28/07 3:21PM server time by skiba97
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   3/28/07 3:21:07PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
hughes would take this one...tough fight but hughes has lots of experience and a lot better wrestling. sanchez wont be able to do to much on his back...Hughes by Unanimous Decision.

Post #7   3/28/07 3:23:01PM   

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
Hughes is just too strong for Diego... As long as he can press Sanchez and execute his gameplan, IMO he would take this match via TKO rd 2 or 3...

But it wouldn't be easy by any means...

Post #8   3/28/07 3:42:25PM   

KEENAN9

Learning to Sprawl

KEENAN9 Avatar

Career:27-19
Camp: We're #1
Chips:
In my opinion, the Hughes/GSP 3 could go either way, but probably to GSP. But Hughes would destroy Diego.

Post #9   3/28/07 3:57:35PM   

waylon_o

In Full Mount

waylon_o Avatar

Career:162-90
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I have to take Sanchez. He's younger, more athletic...undefeated, hungry...the list goes on.

Post #10   3/28/07 4:19:15PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,522-1,450
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i like hughes in this fight but i dont see it happening unless matt gets the belt back from gsp, seems to me like they want to have the undefeated kid against the belt holder and wouldnt risk a loss for diego before that

Last edited 3/28/07 4:21PM server time by cowcatcher

Post #11   3/28/07 4:21:01PM   

nubby

Banned

nubby Avatar

Career:212-114
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
I don't think Dana is known for protecting fighters.

Post #12   3/28/07 4:28:40PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
AS for protecting Sanchez, I disagree. Koshcheck is no slouch, and good wrestlers can always pull out a win if they are willing to LnP, and have good sub defense. I still think Diego beats KOS though. If he does, I think he will fight GSP after Hughes. On the beatdown radio I heard Josh Gross say Diego's camp wants him to compete in the Pride LWGP. If so, that would take a while. Possibly just enough time for The winner of GSP/Hughes 3 to be ready for a title defense.

Last edited 3/28/07 5:50PM server time by hippysmacker

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #13   3/28/07 4:35:08PM   

Fumar-Fortiuse

Learning to Sprawl

Fumar-Fortiuse Avatar

Career:18-15
Chips:
I understand how you guys can doubt Sanchez but I honestly think he could steal this one from Hughes. Alot of people are saying that Hughes is too strong but B.J. Penn was able to get Hughes in trouble and he is no where near as strong as Matt. I know Hughes won the fight but lets be honest Penn's conditioning is his weakness. This wouldn't be a weakness for Sanchez and he go on the ground just as good as anybody. If Hughes wins this fight he will have to do it standing up, which won't be an easy task. Sanchez's stand up is improving and we saw that when he KOed Joe Riggs, not to mention the training he's been doing with Oscar Delahoya. I'm still going with Sanchez because I think it's his destiny to be great.

Post #14   3/28/07 5:00:17PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:

Posted by Fumar-Fortiuse

I understand how you guys can doubt Sanchez but I honestly think he could steal this one from Hughes. Alot of people are saying that Hughes is too strong but B.J. Penn was able to get Hughes in trouble and he is no where near as strong as Matt. I know Hughes won the fight but lets be honest Penn's conditioning is his weakness. This wouldn't be a weakness for Sanchez and he go on the ground just as good as anybody. If Hughes wins this fight he will have to do it standing up, which won't be an easy task. Sanchez's stand up is improving and we saw that when he KOed Joe Riggs, not to mention the training he's been doing with Oscar Delahoya. I'm still going with Sanchez because I think it's his destiny to be great.

Penn is a freak of nature though.....

Post #15   3/28/07 5:11:48PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2