Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Why TUF shouldn't go anywhere?

Print  
Do you feel TUF has run its course?
No...keep the shows coming 42 75%
Yes, I'm bored with the show 8 14%
On the Fence 6 11%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Career:661-454
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

The talent pool is far from running dry. There are so many talented guys out there with non-exclusive contracts that it isn't even funny. I could rattle off a list of names at almost any weight class. I won't do it, but anyone who follows the underground will know exactly what I'm talking about.

The thing is- the UFC is now to the point that they're picking fighters with criteria other than what they can do in the cage. They want guys who will put on a good show and can have some longevity in the sport.

This is the problem I have with the UFC marketing the brand and not the fighters. The general public feels like the talent pool is running low, but all you have to do is go check out some lower to mid level shows and you'll see there's plenty of it out there. I'm not saying a guy can join TUF and take home the LHW belt the next day, but there are some good talents out there waiting to get an opportunity

your probably right , but with the UFC picking fighters like richie hightower, Rude boy, roli delgado, noah inhofer,andy wang,blake bowman,joe scarola,pat schultz,cale yarbrough, luke zachrich and dave kaplin kind of scares me , lately the people who have made it on the show has shown that they need to pick the fighter more carefully, im not trying to fighter bash at all , but the talent level recently hasnt been as it was when TUF 1,2. ill still choose to watch it over most tv shows

Last edited 3/31/09 2:59PM server time by the_ho_bag
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   3/31/09 2:59:05PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
That may be true what you are saying...but considering that anymore the fighters have to win a fight just to get into the house kind of validates them being there in my opinion...

Post #17   3/31/09 4:37:35PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:

Posted by sclasclemski

That may be true what you are saying...but considering that anymore the fighters have to win a fight just to get into the house kind of validates them being there in my opinion...

this is where i stand my ground, the competition getting into he house has been weak as-well, some fights where cool, like matt riddles KO of serras guy but others where terrible, im just saying they need to get some talent back in the house to make it more competitive rather then a domination by one fighter

Post #18   3/31/09 4:41:52PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
well, it's reality tv. anytime I watch I only watch the last 20mins for the fight. It's set up in a crappy way (imo) to focus on the house bs. If it were a legit show about training it would be cool, but very niche.

It is however the single biggest vehicle to bring in new fans. So of course it should stay. For some reason America eats this crap up.

Post #19   3/31/09 4:47:34PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

well, it's reality tv. anytime I watch I only watch the last 20mins for the fight. It's set up in a crappy way (imo) to focus on the house bs. If it were a legit show about training it would be cool, but very niche.

It is however the single biggest vehicle to bring in new fans. So of course it should stay. For some reason America eats this crap up.

everyone loves drama aha

Post #20   3/31/09 4:52:08PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

Posted by JimiMak

everyone loves drama aha

Not everyone

in fact a lot of ppl love to see guys that hate each other in the ring... I like two athletes who shake hands before and after and give it 1000% between bells.

Last edited 3/31/09 5:02PM server time by jimimak
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   3/31/09 5:01:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

Posted by Jackelope

The talent pool is far from running dry. There are so many talented guys out there with non-exclusive contracts that it isn't even funny. I could rattle off a list of names at almost any weight class. I won't do it, but anyone who follows the underground will know exactly what I'm talking about.

The thing is- the UFC is now to the point that they're picking fighters with criteria other than what they can do in the cage. They want guys who will put on a good show and can have some longevity in the sport.

This is the problem I have with the UFC marketing the brand and not the fighters. The general public feels like the talent pool is running low, but all you have to do is go check out some lower to mid level shows and you'll see there's plenty of it out there. I'm not saying a guy can join TUF and take home the LHW belt the next day, but there are some good talents out there waiting to get an opportunity

your probably right , but with the UFC picking fighters like richie hightower, Rude boy, roli delgado, noah inhofer,andy wang,blake bowman,joe scarola,pat schultz,cale yarbrough, luke zachrich and dave kaplin kind of scares me , lately the people who have made it on the show has shown that they need to pick the fighter more carefully, im not trying to fighter bash at all , but the talent level recently hasnt been as it was when TUF 1,2. ill still choose to watch it over most tv shows

I only say this because I personally know guys who have tried out for TUF and even though they've won all their matches in the tryouts, they were nixed from the show. I won't throw names out there because I don't like to do that on this forum, but rest assured they're professionals with big names on their list of fights. Some of them actually competing in the UFC now, actually.

The UFC is picking those fighters because of their on screen personas, not because of their fighting abilities. Ability plays a small factor, but do you really mean to tell me that Roli Delgado is a more well rounded fighter than the 3,000+ who showed up for tryouts? I'd say he probably isn't a better standup fighter than 2,000 of those guys. Yet he still made it. Why? Obviously because he has good jiu jitsu, but also because he had a persona they were looking to fill on the show. They pick their winners heading into the show and just build a cast around those guys. At least, that's the suspicion I'm sticking on.

Also, let's not forget that a lot of these guys have difficulty fighting in the TUF atmosphere because of different coaches and a lot of fights in a small period of time. I've read interviews and talked with TUF competitors who all say the same thing. So even though what I said before is what I believe to be the case, I still say a lot of the guys on the show have more talent than they're able to showcase.

There's a lot that goes into my thought process on how it all works (which could be completely wrong, I admit)- but let me just clarify by restating my original point. There is PLENTY of talent in the world of MMA which is quite larger than the UFC itself, and TUF should go on for a long, long time. It helps fans get familiar with the fighters early, and it is an exciting tournament atmosphere.

Post #22   3/31/09 5:43:52PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i like watching it but i think maybe one a year instead of two seasons
or do a us vs japan or brazil next

Post #23   3/31/09 5:49:37PM   

The_Ho_Bag

MMA Sensei

The_Ho_Bag Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by The_Ho_Bag

Posted by Jackelope

I only say this because I personally know guys who have tried out for TUF and even though they've won all their matches in the tryouts, they were nixed from the show. I won't throw names out there because I don't like to do that on this forum, but rest assured they're professionals with big names on their list of fights. Some of them actually competing in the UFC now, actually.

The UFC is picking those fighters because of their on screen personas, not because of their fighting abilities. Ability plays a small factor, but do you really mean to tell me that Roli Delgado is a more well rounded fighter than the 3,000+ who showed up for tryouts? I'd say he probably isn't a better standup fighter than 2,000 of those guys. Yet he still made it. Why? Obviously because he has good jiu jitsu, but also because he had a persona they were looking to fill on the show. They pick their winners heading into the show and just build a cast around those guys. At least, that's the suspicion I'm sticking on.

Also, let's not forget that a lot of these guys have difficulty fighting in the TUF atmosphere because of different coaches and a lot of fights in a small period of time. I've read interviews and talked with TUF competitors who all say the same thing. So even though what I said before is what I believe to be the case, I still say a lot of the guys on the show have more talent than they're able to showcase.

There's a lot that goes into my thought process on how it all works (which could be completely wrong, I admit)- but let me just clarify by restating my original point. There is PLENTY of talent in the world of MMA which is quite larger than the UFC itself, and TUF should go on for a long, long time. It helps fans get familiar with the fighters early, and it is an exciting tournament atmosphere

im not disagreeing with you because you are right,there are people who try out for TUF and get cut that should have made it, im just saying their selection of cast has been bad in these last 2 seasons

Post #24   3/31/09 6:11:53PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:533-335
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Efrain Escudero and Phillipe Nover are both quality fighters that came from the last 2 seasons and to be honest how many new fighters are you expecting them to pull from each season?

IMO if they pull 3+ talented fighters out of a season they did very well. Depending on the weight class its going to be hard to find fighters that can just step in and compete at the same level as the fighters in the UFC, I actually think they have done a good job to this point in finding unsigned fighters with talent.

Post #25   4/1/09 9:12:53PM   

team_demon_fighter

MMA Regular

team_demon_fighter Avatar

Career:751-523
Camp: Team Nightmarez
Chips:
i dnt care if one or two seasons suck ever.. i think its great for tv, great for fans, and great for me. lol.. i want tuf to always keep producing.

Post #26   4/5/09 12:29:09PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2